Team rebuilding

Paukea

I’m a bit fed up of people desperate to find plus points to this window. It’s abundantly clear the club has absolutely no strategy to build a team core and has just been scrambling to pick up whatever scraps are left on the physio table and/or rejects lounge of other second tier “competitors”.

Bottom line is our team is weaker now than it was 11 years ago when McCall took charge. Backwards and reversing.

• Like 2

So we're going into the season to play the Thistle way without a recognised right back? What a joke. Competitive budget my arse. If a 6 month loan deal for a 30 year old journeyman who only played 3 times last season for a team in the same division is the best we can do, we've all been lied to.

How about we get behind new singing and support them up until they have actually done something to merit a slagging ,the boy Jeffries from Dundee on his Twitter is filled with the most negative comments ,footballers use social media in today’s society and I’m sure most likely will end up seeing these things ,what do people think this does to the boys confidence seeing nothing but dismay from fans of the team he has just joined.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

How about we get behind new singing and support them up until they have actually done something to merit a slagging ,the boy Jeffries from Dundee on his Twitter is filled with the most negative comments ,footballers use social media in today’s society and I’m sure most likely will end up seeing these things ,what do people think this does to the boys confidence seeing nothing but dismay from fans of the team he has just joined.

Agreed.

Is it not a bit strange that we have signed 5 players on 6 month contracts? (Bannigan, Quitongo, Jeffries, Melbourne and Scobbie)

Does this mean that if we're not in contention by January we'll be looking to shed some wages?

Surely if we're paying a fee for Quitongo you would want him on at least a 12 month deal?

7 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

I think you need to ask yourself how many other Championship clubs would have been remotely interested in the 3 we have signed today. How far do you want our club to fall.

24 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

No.

Giving the benefit of the doubt is what got us into this mess.

Its nothing against the non-entities and crocks we’ve signed. It’s about the decisions that brought them here.

The club either doesn’t know what it wants from a core team or has failed to resource it, or both. The fanbase shouldn’t just roll over and clap like seals at demonstrably dreadful planning. If Christie gets a heavy knock tomorrow we have, let’s be clear, NO RIGHT WING BACKS AT THE CLUB.

• Like 1

In context to the club's sole aim for the season and general rhetoric, the assembled squad somehow feels less than the sum of its parts.

Disjointed by way of short term deals, loans, inexperience, fitness concerns and ability concerns.

Imbalanced by way of heavy cover in some positions and limited cover in others.

The squad still lacks a real spine and a real leader (we'll miss Tam O'ware)

It's basically feels like we have a squad of past failures and unwanted dregs with little vested interest, all chucked together through necessity rather than choice/selection.

It will be a minor miracle if we have a good season (reaching play offs imo).

Cue Thistle 4-0 Morton! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, laukat said:

Is it not a bit strange that we have signed 5 players on 6 month contracts? (Bannigan, Quitongo, Jeffries, Melbourne and Scobbie)

Does this mean that if we're not in contention by January we'll be looking to shed some wages?

Surely if we're paying a fee for Quitongo you would want him on at least a 12 month deal?

This is another oddity that shouldn’t just be let to pass. It’s one thing to give a player with injury problems 6 months to prove his fitness but it’s quite another to pay for them then to do so and risk someone else signing them when they’re fit.

Unless, of course, Quitongo was signed for 6 months because we are anticipating a FIFA dispute over registration for Coulibaly that will drag out like another farce.

4 minutes ago, potty trained said:

We have a worse squad than the one Dick Campbell left behind? 

I mean the close of that window following him taking over.

McCall brought in, among others, Twaddle, Rowson, Buchanan, Harkins and Storey. Supplementing a side that already had Donnelly, Archie, Robertson and Roberts. He also brought in Hinchcliffe who was a solid stopper as development and back-up for Tuffey when he was still maturing as a keeper. That was a solid core of a football team with a combination of experience and fresh blood. 

That year was a 6th place finish. I have little if any confidence that this team of permacrocks and obscurities will live up to that billing especially if Coulibaly doesn’t get clearance.

Literally one player who can play right back and it’s a player who plays there by accident because he kept not being good enough at every other position to nail down a place and he had to rely on other injuries across the squad to get a start. I don’t fault Christie at all for his endeavour and commitment but he is not an established right back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, potty trained said:

We have a worse squad than the one Dick Campbell left behind? 

Got to agree with you PT , think the Club is an absolute shambles just now , seems to be no joined up thinking for the players we’re getting in, loan deals , 6 month contracts , so much for the rhetoric for rebuilding the Club after relegation .

10 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I mean the close of that window following him taking over.

McCall brought in, among others, Twaddle, Rowson, Buchanan, Harkins and Storey. Supplementing a side that already had Donnelly, Archie, Robertson and Roberts. He also brought in Hinchcliffe who was a solid stopper as development and back-up for Tuffey when he was still maturing as a keeper. That was a solid core of a football team with a combination of experience and fresh blood. 

That year was a 6th place finish. I have little if any confidence that this team of permacrocks and obscurities will live up to that billing especially if Coulibaly doesn’t get clearance.

Literally one player who can play right back and it’s a player who plays there by accident because he kept not being good enough at every other position to nail down a place and he had to rely on other injuries across the squad to get a start. I don’t fault Christie at all for his endeavour and commitment but he is not an established right back.

When do you think you will be able to move on and accept him as an established right back? 

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to agree with you PT , think the Club is an absolute shambles just now , seems to be no joined up thinking for the players we’re getting in, loan deals , 6 month contracts , so much for the rhetoric for rebuilding the Club after relegation .

What have I said, that you agree with?

• Haha 3