Team rebuilding

Paukea

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to agree with you PT , think the Club is an absolute shambles just now , seems to be no joined up thinking for the players we’re getting in, loan deals , 6 month contracts , so much for the rhetoric for rebuilding the Club after relegation .

Think he was asking a question not making a statement.

Edited by dunnikierjag

Although it obviously makes no difference ,  but have we ever had this many previous internationals at different levels in the team.

Full: Bell, Mbuyi-Mutombo

U23: Lennox

U21: Keown, Mcginty, Bannigan, Gordon, Slater, Ntambwe, Scobbie

U17: : Coulibaly,Jefferies,  Fitzpatrick

I'm delighted that Keown and Banzo are signed up again. Great news.

I suppose the signing of the two defenders could be described as uninspiring. However, Scobbie has a lot of games under his belt and should be more than capable at this level. Not sure why he hasn't featured in a poor Utd side much but pretty sure he will be OK for us if he gets fit. As others have said though, a right sided player of the same ilk would have been better. I don't know anything about Jeffries but sure we will only see him in emergencies.

The one that really interests me most is Quitongo. He is the type on player I think we should be taking a punt on more often. Young Scottish talent with a chance to develop. He could end up being a really good player for us if he knuckles down and stays clear of injuries.

8 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I’m a bit fed up of people desperate to find plus points to this window. It’s abundantly clear the club has absolutely no strategy to build a team core and has just been scrambling to pick up whatever scraps are left on the physio table and/or rejects lounge of other second tier “competitors”.

Bottom line is our team is weaker now than it was 11 years ago when McCall took charge. Backwards and reversing.

It isn’t the bottom line - it is an opinion. Earlier today Archie was getting pelters for only having Keown, McGinty and an untested 19 year old at Centre back. 

It maybe there has been no strategy, but until they have all had a chance to get on the pitch, I won’t be criticising them. 

It is far too early to say which clubs have been successful in their recruitment. There have only been 3 games in the league and none since the transfer window closed.

Edited by Lenziejag

If we had signed Shankland as well I doubt there would be many grumbles. 

Talk of relegation is way off the mark in my opinion. However, I do feel we’ve been too slow in recruitment this summer & it will be a while before we’re at our best. 

Put a run together mid season & I think we may have a chance at play offs.

Quitongo could be a very good signing & although we haven’t got another centre forward, our attack seems strong, albeit potentially rudderless if Doolan not on form.

6 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

If we had signed Shankland as well I doubt there would be many grumbles. 

Talk of relegation is way off the mark in my opinion. However, I do feel we’ve been too slow in recruitment this summer & it will be a while before we’re at our best. 

Put a run together mid season & I think we may have a chance at play offs.

Quitongo could be a very good signing & although we haven’t got another centre forward, our attack seems strong, albeit potentially rudderless if Doolan not on form.

If the rumours going about are true and we were really close to getting Shankland, there's no doubt feelings would be different. But even without him, we have a ridiculously good standard of attacking players for this level and as fans we should be excited to see them play together. Get Coulibaly on the park and well, we should be unplayable in the opposition half. 

I was really impressed with Storey through the middle v Falkirk. Much better movement than Doolan, we just need the others around him to attack the space he creates, with late runs into the box.

I'm not at all concerned about the attacking side of things and certainly wouldn't describe it as rudderless, with an off form Doolan. 

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

It doesn't seem that long ago we were in the First Division with a squad we had put together with university students, lower league players, juniors and squad players from the top tier. 

Not sure how that ended up?

That’s, on paper, better than this. There was a hunger and raw talent to that team and excellent balance and depth. Not so this.

It doesn't seem that long ago we were in the First Division with a squad we had put together with university students, lower league players, juniors and squad players from the top tier. 

Not sure how that ended up?

Yes, we surprised a lot of people that season. It is also interesting to note that  good number of those players are now playing at this level or lower. 

If a few of this seasons squad play to their potential, all may not be lost. Slater, Penrice and Aidan all have shown a bit of class. If two or three others pitch in all may not be lost.

Lets try to be positive,

Regards, a happy clapper who has witnessed poorer squads and sadder times at Firhill than presently exist.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dunnikierjag said:

I think you need to ask yourself how many other Championship clubs would have been remotely interested in the 3 we have signed today. How far do you want our club to fall.

Given that we couldn’t get anybody else and we can’t do loan signings now, you need to ask yourself whether you would prefer not to have any cover for those positions.

For whatever reason,Archie,Board or pretty unsupportive fans, that is the position we found ourselves in.

If the rumours going about are true and we were really close to getting Shankland, there's no doubt feelings would be different. But even without him, we have a ridiculously good standard of attacking players for this level and as fans we should be excited to see them play together. Get Coulibaly on the park and well, we should be unplayable in the opposition half. 

I was really impressed with Storey through the middle v Falkirk. Much better movement than Doolan, we just need the others around him to attack the space he creates, with late runs into the box.

I'm not at all concerned about the attacking side of things and certainly wouldn't describe it as rudderless, with an off form Doolan. 

Not concerned at all ???????  Very strange.

Were you at Ayr or Dundee? 

Doolan's not kicked a ball this season, Strorey spends his game running down blind alleys, Coulibaly's position is extremely vague with current form unknown and we've yet to see Quitongo play.

The nature of football means we could win our next two games 5 - 0 but based on the past year there has to be some very serious concerns.  

It's not what our players are capable of doing that's the issue it's what they are actually doing that's the problem.

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Given that we couldn’t get anybody else and we can’t do loan signings now, you need to ask yourself whether you would prefer not to have any cover for those positions.

For whatever reason,Archie,Board or pretty unsupportive fans, that is the position we found ourselves in.

Sack the fans! :frantic:

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Positivity is a two-way street. Give me reasons to be positive and I’ll be positive.

There are as things stand zero reasons to be positive.

If you think positivity is a two way street, then you really don't get football or the role of the fan.

If you will only be positive, once you have seen something you deem to be a positive, coming out the Club, then I think May be football isn't for you.

If you look at the club you purport to support, and can not see one single positive thing, then I feel sorry for you.

You must be absolutely horrendous company, at the game! 

Edited by potty trained