Team rebuilding

Paukea

5 hours ago, potty trained said:

It doesn't seem that long ago we were in the First Division with a squad we had put together with university students, lower league players, juniors and squad players from the top tier. 

Not sure how that ended up?

I remember it well PT. A great young squad assembled by Ian McCall and Jackie McNamara.

Fast, free flowing, attacking football at its best.

Those were the days, eh?

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

If you think positivity is a two way street, then you really don't get football or the role of the fan.

If you will only be positive, once you have seen something you deem to be a positive, coming out the Club, then I think May be football isn't for you.

If you look at the club you purport to support, and can not see one single positive thing, then I feel sorry for you.

You must be absolutely horrendous company, at the game! 

Of course positivity is a two way street. A football club exists to entertain people and to create a motivation for people to support it and to want to go to football matches involving it.

The role of a fan is not to be blindly enthusiastic about their club and its team regardless of the evidence of how it is being run. The fan is a stakeholder in the whole enterprise of the club bringing about entertainment. I would say it’s not just the right, but even the responsibility of fans to say when they have serious concerns about the approach the club is taking to creating entertainment.

I didn’t say I can’t see “one single positive thing” about the club. I said there is zero grounds for optimism about the team and its ability to meet the purported expectations for a club of our size and given an apparently “competitive” budget. Every potentially good piece of news on the footballing side this summer has been at best tepid or heavily conditional, and the conditions haven’t been met.

None of this means fans won’t then urge the team on at a game and want to see the best out of the players we have. Fitzpatrick has been a massive bright spark this season but Archie won’t even play him. But the bottom line is in terms of *recruitment* and squadbuilding, there are not (yet) grounds for optimism in what is an unbalanced, injury prone, unproven and not especially enthusiasm inducing motley crew.

I look forward to our 4-0 win today.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

7 minutes ago, erty13 said:

There were three thousand people delighted with how he played, only you seem to have a downer on him.

As I Wasn't at the match I cannot comment on how he played. But if you look on the match thread I commented about him coming on.  You need to untwist your knickers over this. Enjoy the three points.

4 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Of course positivity is a two way street. A football club exists to entertain people and to create a motivation for people to support it and to want to go to football matches involving it.

The role of a fan is not to be blindly enthusiastic about their club and its team regardless of the evidence of how it is being run. The fan is a stakeholder in the whole enterprise of the club bringing about entertainment. I would say it’s not just the right, but even the responsibility of fans to say when they have serious concerns about the approach the club is taking to creating entertainment.

I didn’t say I can’t see “one single positive thing” about the club. I said there is zero grounds for optimism about the team and its ability to meet the purported expectations for a club of our size and given an apparently “competitive” budget. Every potentially good piece of news on the footballing side this summer has been at best tepid or heavily conditional, and the conditions haven’t been met.

None of this means fans won’t then urge the team on at a game and want to see the best out of the players we have. Fitzpatrick has been a massive bright spark this season but Archie won’t even play him. But the bottom line is in terms of *recruitment* and squadbuilding, there are not (yet) grounds for optimism in what is an unbalanced, injury prone, unproven and not especially enthusiasm inducing motley crew.

I look forward to our 4-0 win today.

You've bored me into submission.

I think people over estimate the strength of the club in transfer dealings.   In the current league I would expect Dundee United and Ross County to always offer more money for different reasons and Alloa to be the bottom as they are part time.  The rest are fighting it out between them.

Archie managed to get a decent spine in at reasonable time with O'Ware, McGinty, Gordon, Slater brought in.

Then we have phase one of the battle with everyone else to see who we can get on permanent and loan deals.

Phase two is dealing with the English transfer window closing to see who is available and who is going before and after it and that would be including Keown for potential suitors.

Getting a player in is like buying a house in a multiple chain.  One piece of the chain breaks down and they have to start again and go to option B, C, D etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I think people over estimate the strength of the club in transfer dealings.   In the current league I would expect Dundee United and Ross County to always offer more money for different reasons and Alloa to be the bottom as they are part time.  The rest are fighting it out between them.

Archie managed to get a decent spine in at reasonable time with O'Ware, McGinty, Gordon, Slater brought in.

Then we have phase one of the battle with everyone else to see who we can get on permanent and loan deals.

Phase two is dealing with the English transfer window closing to see who is available and who is going before and after it and that would be including Keown for potential suitors.

Getting a player in is like buying a house in a multiple chain.  One piece of the chain breaks down and they have to start again and go to option B, C, D etc.

I think if and when we do sign a player from another club he's more than likely to be under 25. Balancing what should be the lesser risk of the player not fulfilling potential with the guy improving with experience. That's the theory anyway. I'm led to believe the Club/Archie aren't averse to bidding relatively high sums for a player but only a select few. Maybe one of these windows we'll get a surprise.:)