Team rebuilding

Paukea

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Barton had a good first season with us, then he couldn’t decide if he was a midfielder or defender. Needed to move on.

I still think Keown could do a job for us if he stayed. He didn’t have a good season, but he is an intelligent player and will knuckle down if given the chance. He still holds the number 5 shirt.

It’s nothing to do with the player himself it’s the wages that he is on that appears to be the big problem 

11 minutes ago, Jag said:

He's a good wee player from what I've seen of him would question why Dundee Utd would let him go.

I think he’s a similar player to Higgy, good player but not consistent enough, has 1 good season then it peters out. The DUFC fans don’t seem too happy that Czaba is letting him go. I’d be more interested in Keatings if I’m honest.

9 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I think he’s a similar player to Higgy, good player but not consistent enough, has 1 good season then it peters out. The DUFC fans don’t seem too happy that Czaba is letting him go. I’d be more interested in Keatings if I’m honest.

Keatings is a good player but maybe too similar to Erskine and Spittal. 

On 7/15/2018 at 6:37 AM, javeajag said:

Interesting watching Archie smiling as he said Barton has gone to a club that can afford his wages !

Bit of semantics but if Archie actually said that I'm fairly certain he's incorrect. He should have said he's gone to a club that is willing to pay his wages. We'll no doubt find out in due course if United are in a financial position to afford to pay for anything.

Also interesting to a point that nearly all of the top division clubs could match and many outbid United. But looks like there was little or no interest. 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2018 at 4:38 PM, javeajag said:

Debt free means you spend money you do have not money you don’t .... there is no bottomless pit 

Unless these new guys who bought out Thompson are putting in lots of money (the money they spent so far went to Thompson) it looks very much like DU are betting their shirts on going up this season.  I'm pretty sure they weren't completely out of debt yet and they must be paying over the odds (for this division) for the players mentioned.  If they fail again they are in real trouble.   I'm happy that despite aggressive talk from the board, we seem to be living within our means.  Top four place and good performances in the play offs will do me I reckon with the club in a position to still challenge the following year if we don't make it as we'll have no worries about debt.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

Unless these new guys who bought out Thompson are putting in lots of money (the money they spent so far went to Thompson) it looks very much like DU are betting their shirts on going up this season.  I'm pretty sure they weren't completely out of debt yet and they must be paying over the odds (for this division) for the players mentioned.  If they fail again they are in real trouble.   I'm happy that despite aggressive talk from the board, we seem to be living within our means.  Top four place and good performances in the play offs will do me I reckon with the club in a position to still challenge the following year if we don't make it as we'll have no worries about debt.

I agree.

1 down, 2 to go. If we can shift the remaining overpaid gruesome twosome, players will find a newly cleared out Thistle an attractive proposition. I don’t think the Macnamara/McCall inspired promotion team build cost much to put together. There’s no reason why Archie can’t do something similar and sign possibly another 4 or 5 aspirants.

But only if last year’s dead wood leaves. Perhaps they’ll go to the delights of DUFC!

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 5:50 PM, Weebaw1 said:

I agree.

1 down, 2 to go. If we can shift the remaining overpaid gruesome twosome, players will find a newly cleared out Thistle an attractive proposition. I don’t think the Macnamara/McCall inspired promotion team build cost much to put together. There’s no reason why Archie can’t do something similar and sign possibly another 4 or 5 aspirants.

But only if last year’s dead wood leaves. Perhaps they’ll go to the delights of DUFC!

I think the ‘gruesome twosome’ is not appropriate; the fact that their contracted wages reflect Premier status and we are now in Chanpionship, is not all their fault. Plus they have played some good games for the Club.

I hope Keown stays tbh 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandy said:

I think the ‘gruesome twosome’ is not appropriate; the fact that their contracted wages reflect Premier status and we are now in Chanpionship, is not all their fault. Plus they have played some good games for the Club.

I hope Keown stays tbh 

By the looks of it Archie seems happy to keep Storey, as I am, and let Keown go to free up some wages to bolster the squad. I agree with you. I'd like to keep Keown, but I think it puts restraints on Archie regards depth of squad.

3 hours ago, sandy said:

I hope Keown stays tbh 

How much were these guys actually getting paid and how can it be affecting our squad so much? Surely bad planning on our front by not enforcing a relegation wage cut in the contracts offered?

• Like 1

This may prove controversial but for a while I have been wondering what exactly does erskine bring to the team and whether a different type of number 10 would serve us better or play him more as a traditional winger?

BTW I think Archie still fancies storey to do a job for us. Every time I have watched training this year storey is always involved in matches , per season games etc. Whe. You see him in these environments I believe he is a class above all other players with terrific pace and technique. Would really like to see him get a run through the middle. If he could just get into the right places and scored a couple he could go onto to become one of the best in the division.

• Like 1

From what is see we need the following 

LB (Cover)

RB (Cover)

CB (Cover), maybe 2

Ball winning CM

LW (Cover)

RW (Cover)

CF (2 of, as Dools cannot do it on his own, plus need on bench, Cover & competition)

thats between 6 &8 players if I was AA I’d be trying to get in, the fact we could only field 4 outfield subs last night, with 1 of them transferlisted, 2 still kids plus McCarthy who has only last year stepped up from development squad shows the fragility of current squad.

Trying to remember our last Championship winning squad, specifically with regards to depth of squad. Forgive for my omissions, but  I’m too lazy to look up a match programme!

Fox, Scully

O’Donnell, Muirhead, Balatoni, Taylor-Sinclair, Lidsay(?)

Paton, Bannigan, Welsh, Murray 

Erskine, Lawless, Craigen, Forbes

Doolan, Craig

I must be missing some out, but my point is that’s a squad of 17 or so.

Edited by Jaggy Bunnet