Team rebuilding

Paukea

14 hours ago, potty trained said:

So the same as last time we were in the second tier?

Superficially, yes, but it's a futile exercise to compare this time v last time given the factors involved.  Give it a go if you like.

Are we in a better place as a club than the last time, given our financial/managerial/structural situation?

Are we facing better opposition in the coming season than we did last time?

Are we competing for players with the clubs around us, or perhaps similar sized clubs who could offer top tier football?

Those and more are impossible for us to definitively answer right now, but there's no harm in having an opinion on it.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:00 AM, Paulo said:

Very true.  We're talking about having a decent budget for this level, but I guess we need to take into account our targets.  Who wants to come play for us in the championship, and if we're looking for someone who might stand out at this level, how much over the odds do we need to offer to convince them when the likes of Hamilton, Livi, St Mirren will no doubt be in for a similar level of player?  Even with a budget, we're a difficult sell now.

Lets be honest, there is probably no player out there who wants to play for Thistle. Doolan and Erskine perhaps, but I doubt that playing for Thistle comes into any professionals dreams. The best we can hope for is willing to play for us, and for that we need to offer better terms and prospects than the host of other clubs that they are also willing to play for. This is not going to be easy, especially with so many players needed to form a squad. The only positive is that with so few signed up, any prospective player knows that there is a starting place available in the 1st XI.

It should be an interesting few weeks when the transfer window opens tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Lets be honest, there is probably no player out there who wants to play for Thistle. Doolan and Erskine perhaps, but I doubt that playing for Thistle comes into any professionals dreams. The best we can hope for is willing to play for us, and for that we need to offer better terms and prospects than the host of other clubs that they are also willing to play for. This is not going to be easy, especially with so many players needed to form a squad. The only positive is that with so few signed up, any prospective player knows that there is a starting place available in the 1st XI.

It should be an interesting few weeks when the transfer window opens tomorrow.

True, my choice of words could have been better.  

Interview with Archie on Jagszone...   says that two player could still yet exercise their 'relegation clause' in their contract, Spittal is one...      Mentions that the 3 up for sale are too expensive too keep but if we don't get offers they might still be here at the start of the season...    we're looking mainly in the Scottish market, players from England are on "flip flop" time plus they tend to ask for rent free accommodation which we cannot really afford (that might apply to 2 out of the 3 up for sale?) ...   All in all, we're starting from a fair way back compared to some other clubs. Achieving top spot first time of asking would be a remarkable achievement under the circumstances....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Relegated 2003/04 from premier league return to premier league 2013/14 1year?

They are getting at the fact we were relegated again right away, and after 1 year we were in 3rd tier, and thus them being clever as we were out the 2nd tier. Its the sort of argument my wife makes when shes trying to get on my tits

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Interview with Archie on Jagszone...   says that two player could still yet exercise their 'relegation clause' in their contract, Spittal is one...      Mentions that the 3 up for sale are too expensive too keep but if we don't get offers they might still be here at the start of the season...    we're looking mainly in the Scottish market, players from England are on "flip flop" time plus they tend to ask for rent free accommodation which we cannot really afford (that might apply to 2 out of the 3 up for sale?) ...   All in all, we're starting from a fair way back compared to some other clubs. Achieving top spot first time of asking would be a remarkable achievement under the circumstances....

Yeh the boards comment about promotion is still confusing to me. Very little chance in my mind that we can win promotion the now, in fact with the massive rebuild i would not be surprised with a lower half finish (hope im wrong of course)

Maybe there is an opportunity in Doolan and Erskine, if the club goes out to spot talent in the Juniors - fulfil your dream by trialling for Partick Thistle! Our two full-time pros came from the Juniors. (AFAIK there is no appearance that other clubs look to that source, and almost every level, from regional amateurs to semi-pro clubs, has some talent that is worth pursuing.)

3 hours ago, chunky jag said:

They are getting at the fact we were relegated again right away, and after 1 year we were in 3rd tier, and thus them being clever as we were out the 2nd tier. Its the sort of argument my wife makes when shes trying to get on my tits

Get it now.Thanks CJ.

57 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

To be honest in my opinion we have only had a couple of great signings in recent years Lyle Taylor and Christie Elliott 

osman was a brilliant signing until last season as was Barton but their antics and attitude last season thoroughly soured that

amoo and azeez were okay

the rest were dreadful mukendi, eccleston etc

i also include seaborne there - so overrated and injured as well as dumbaya who was a wage thief and if he indeed stormed out before the last game against Livingston then his attitude was disgusting 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

as dumbaya who was a wage thief and if he indeed stormed out before the last game against Livingston then his attitude was disgusting 

No doors were left on their hinges as one time Jags idol storms out of Firhill leaving an ashen faced Alan Archibald (40) incandescent with rage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Maybe there is an opportunity in Doolan and Erskine, if the club goes out to spot talent in the Juniors - fulfil your dream by trialling for Partick Thistle! Our two full-time pros came from the Juniors. (AFAIK there is no appearance that other clubs look to that source, and almost every level, from regional amateurs to semi-pro clubs, has some talent that is worth pursuing.)

Took them at wee while to get up to speed. I doubt any junior players will fill gaps in the squad anytime soon.

On another positive note I'm note sure how much we can rely on our dynamic duo this season in terms of minutes played. Both seemed to struggle with knocks/ on going injuries last season. 

Looking at the situation again our squad needs a miracle to be challenging for the title next season, imo.

On 27/05/2018 at 8:34 AM, stuart_adam said:

Wouldn’t touch Stokes or Flood.

Id take Miller on a player coach role,

Thomas O’Ware from Morton would be top of my priorities list.  Jordan Thompson from Rangers

Jason Naismith from County

Blair Alston from St J

Scott McDonald player coach if no Kenny Miller

id also take Paul Paton and Higginbotham back

And Calum Morris from Dunfermline

theres probably a load more! 

I'd love to see Higgy back. Petulant at times, patchy at times but brilliant at times too.

• Like 2