Team rebuilding

Paukea

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

To be honest in my opinion we have only had a couple of great signings in recent years Lyle Taylor and Christie Elliott 

osman was a brilliant signing until last season as was Barton but their antics and attitude last season thoroughly soured that

amoo and azeez were okay

the rest were dreadful mukendi, eccleston etc

i also include seaborne there - so overrated and injured as well as dumbaya who was a wage thief and if he indeed stormed out before the last game against Livingston then his attitude was disgusting 

I’d say we’ve had more hits (at least to some extent) than misses, and usually the misses are worked out quickly, and moved on. Archie does have a habit of using up some of the budget on bizarre signings who never (or very rarely) play (Kerr, German, Moncur, Mukendi), so ideally we can avoid that this season. 

Dumbuya, on his day, was great. It’s just that he was always injured. I’m not going to comment on any rumours about his attitude because I know nothing about them. Seaborne was fine, not great but did his job well enough. 

I’d also say Cerny, Frans, Higginbotham and Gallacher were good signings, at least for a while, and a couple of others, while far from spectacular, came in and did a good enough job (Dowie, Miller, Buaben, Osbourne until he was injured, Mair). 

Archie has had a mixed record in the transfer market, and there’s been a few shockers (John Baird and Jake Carroll spring to mind) but I’d say, for the most part, he does ok.

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

I'd love to see Higgy back. Petulant at times, patchy at times but brilliant at times too.

I'd be surprised if we are in a position to actually pay any transfer fees. The budget will be used for all levels from development squad , reserve team and first team. I'd think it will be freed and out of contract signings.

• Like 1

Hearing Archie’s interview makes me think he didn’t even meet with the board and they’ve just phoned him saying do you want another shot at it? Then they have put out a statement saying they are going to go at it next season without consulting Archie, He seemed really downbeat and quite negative, it’s as though he is already regretting staying. Archie has said in the years gone by we have been behind everyone in terms of signing players for the next season when we were fighting relegation, then we get top 6, still end up signing a load of sh1te on the last day of the window, then get relegated, and now he’s still moaning we’re behind everyone else, fed up listening to him to be honest, same sh1te different interview.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Hearing Archie’s interview makes me think he didn’t even meet with the board and they’ve just phoned him saying do you want another shot at it? Then they have put out a statement saying they are going to go at it next season without consulting Archie, He seemed really downbeat and quite negative, it’s as though he is already regretting staying. Archie has said in the years gone by we have been behind everyone in terms of signing players for the next season when we were fighting relegation, then we get top 6, still end up signing a load of sh1te on the last day of the window, then get relegated, and now he’s still moaning we’re behind everyone else, fed up listening to him to be honest, same sh1te different interview.

pretty much sums up my thoughts as well sadly

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

I'd be surprised if we are in a position to actually pay any transfer fees. The budget will be used for all levels from development squad , reserve team and first team. I'd think it will be freed and out of contract signings.

Higginbotham is out of contract.

Quite a few Dunfermline players are actually that could interest us, Morris, Higgy and McManus...

17 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Absolutely spot on! Club and manager don't seem to have a scooby, and just seem to be telling the fans what they want to hear to sell season tickets. 

46 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Higginbotham is out of contract.

Quite a few Dunfermline players are actually that could interest us, Morris, Higgy and McManus...

I hope the club is seriously monitoring these players out of contract and we don’t do our usual too slow approach and end up making panic signings like nitransky 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Spoke to my brother in law yesterday who is a Morton fan.He said Duffy offered a number of their players new contracts but when he was sacked all the offers were withdrawn by their chairman,so they only have 4 players at the moment.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I hope the club is seriously monitoring these players out of contract and we don’t do our usual too slow approach and end up making panic signings like nitransky 

I take it you're generalising about monitoring players out of contract. I certainly hope the Club would be doing that. I wouldn't think the Club will be monitoring the specific players mentioned.

5 hours ago, jags on tour said:

If he doesn't want to stay or thinks he is not up to the job do you not think he would just go?

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

If he doesn't want to stay or thinks he is not up to the job do you not think he would just go?

would you walk away from a massive salary or would you wait and get paid off? I know what I would do and it wouldn't be the first option lol

with all this talk of reduced budgets in playing staff and so on

do you know what still sticks in the craw

looking at the final league position  we were only one stinkin lousy point from safety

we had so many chances but couldn't do it

the only thing that sort of consoles me is that we have now got rid of the gash that paraded themselves last season as thistle players

its going to be a long hard season

let's see the quality of player we sign

however i saw archie's interview on jagzone     just looks like more of the same

I suppose if you don't want Archibald as Manager and you're not willing to move on, you're going to watch that interview and take what you want from it.

Me, I saw someone focussed on the job at hand and being brutally open and honest. Something he's been accused of not being, in the past, in his interviews.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, potty trained said:

I suppose if you don't want Archibald as Manager and you're not willing to move on, you're going to watch that interview and take what you want from it.

Me, I saw someone focussed on the job at hand and being brutally open and honest. Something he's been accused of not being, in the past, in his interviews.

Indeed he is being honest. And he alluded that in a way we were lucky the season we came up in respect of the quality of the opposition. A play off spot for me, would be a good season.

Edited by Garscube Road End
  • Like 2

So the club will have to run First team and reserve affairsbfrom the one pot. Possible explanation for the cutting of the development team. Could see us look at those let loose by the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Rangers.

Not likely to be many if any signings of English based players as looking to cut costs in terms of rent free accommodation for them. Might be possibility of temporary transfers later in the window if we aren't paying much if any of their wages?

Nice to Chris Erskine took the relegation drop of wages on the nose along with Spittal and they are looking to get us back up. 

It'll be a tough ask this season and we'll have no idea until the squad takes shape where we end up.

3 minutes ago, jagfox said:

So the club will have to run First team and reserve affairsbfrom the one pot. Possible explanation for the cutting of the development team. Could see us look at those let loose by the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Rangers.

Not likely to be many if any signings of English based players as looking to cut costs in terms of rent free accommodation for them. Might be possibility of temporary transfers later in the window if we aren't paying much if any of their wages?

Nice to Chris Erskine took the relegation drop of wages on the nose along with Spittal and they are looking to get us back up. 

It'll be a tough ask this season and we'll have no idea until the squad takes shape where we end up.

Regards Spittal. Archie did say he was hoping to keep him. Take from that what you will.

20 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Regards Spittal. Archie did say he was hoping to keep him. Take from that what you will.

I think he's got a similar clause in his contract as Erskine. Wage drop or he can leave for free.

Possibly Doolan as well but I don't see him going anywhere.

The undoing of a lot of relegated clubs is having to pay upper league wages in the lower league until contracts expire. That in effect means keeping hold of players that got the club relegated in the first place. I'm glad to see we're not going down that route and making better use of the parachute money. It would be galling to see that money used to fund players we don't want and were a large part of the problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, potty trained said:

A bit of an aside, and in truth I'm not that overly fussed, but as a matter of principle I don't think Archie's interview should be restricted to Jagszone subscribers.  My belief being that Jags fans after what we've just been thru shouldn't have to pay to hear an interview with the manager on a subject that affects us all. Secondly hearing Archie discuss the current situation and updating fans could have a bearing on renewal or for that matter first time ST sales. Bit naive of the Club to dramatically limit  the audience.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A bit of an aside, and in truth I'm not that overly fussed, but as a matter of principle I don't think Archie's interview should be restricted to Jagszone subscribers.  My belief being that Jags fans after what we've just been thru shouldn't have to pay to hear an interview with the manager on a subject that affects us all. Secondly hearing Archie discuss the current situation and updating fans could have a bearing on renewal or for that matter first time ST sales. Bit naive of the Club to dramatically limit  the audience.

Very good point l-i-b