Cerny

javeajag

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Morton keeper Gaston is quite a good one,dont know his contract situation though.

Talking of Gaston I mind maybe 6 or 7 years ago the East Kilbride paper (I think) reported he was leaving Albion Rovers and signing for us. 

I've been one of the more critical posters re Cerny (his disregard re fast recycling of the ball mainly). I do tho' agree him leaving is giving Archie a problem he really didn't need. Incidentally from what I've seen of Sneddon his distribution and his footwork look very good.

Some strange reactions to Cerny going! He was a very good keeper and an improvement on Scott Fox.  If he had stayed with us he would have been the best keeper in the Championship. I can only remember one real howler which was down at Rugby park and incredibly it was Sammon who scored the goal.  Like most of the team he didn't have the best season...……. he would take an absolute age to get the ball back into play when we were chasing games and the goal he lost at Livingstone was poor. However, weighing everything up he was one of the best keepers we have seen at Firhill in recent times. I cant think of any keeper in the SPFL who was significantly better.

I'm not sure if some on here are joking but Scully returning would be a total disaster, When Cerny was in goals he gave the defence confidence when Scully was in goals you were just waiting for the blunder!

Respect to Archie if he gets us in a keeper who's as good. I assume he knew this was likely to happen and has been working on doing just that.

Edited by Legs Like A Spider
  • Like 1

Sad and surprised to see Cerny go. Best goalkeeper I’ve seen at Firhill (for context, started going in the late 90’s).

Will therefore be hard to replace. I’ve seen a few names mentioned as possibilities and none really interest me (Fasan, Gaston, Alexander) but of the out of contract goalkeepers I reckon Cammy Bell would be a decent signing. 

Cerny was a very competent Keeper. I commented previously that he, Erskine, Doolan & a fit Bannigan were undoubtedly players of Top League calibre so I can hardly blame him for moving on. Unfortunately, the combined efforts of players and management last season did not reach even the low bar which would have avoided relegation.

He does have a reputation as an ace time-waster which is not a quality I admire but I always thought he was just slow and laborious in taking goal kicks, even when we were losing. I was more concerned about his failure to release the ball quickly - he always waited until all outfield players were congested in a small area of the pitch before launching a hopeful punt towards the head of the tallest opposition defender. I didn't know whether to be pleased or annoyed when he actually had a few quick throw outs in the game against Livingston.

Last season was not his best but considering that the two worst goalkeeping blunders I saw at Firhill were by McLaughlin of Hearts and Bain of Dundee - they were Scotland's Keepers against Mexico - it adds to my bewilderment that we managed to get relegated. 

Cerny is a competent keeper, nothing more. Athletically but needlessly (even comically) throws himself around when the ball is clearly going out of play, but stays rooted to his line at most crosses, has poor distribution, and made several howlers this season, including in the play-off, that Scully would have been crucified for. 

I'm totally unperturbed at his departure. Easily replaceable with somebody as competent.

I think, contrary to the song, there were in fact two Tomas Cernys.

There was the Tomas Cerny model of up to end of 2017 season. He would have been close to irreplaceable.

Then there was the 2017/18 model.  Even more ponderous than ever, more rooted to line when balls came into 6 yard box than ever before, worse kicking than ever before and you never escape the nagging doubt he is about to withdraw injured. He even seemed less engaged with the Northie this season than earlier years if you ask me.

My considered opinion is therefore that he was past his Thistle sell by date, and I am sure an adequate replacement can be found, probably on lower wages, potentially freeing more budget for other areas of team.

• Like 3

Bottom line is we don't need an exceptional keeper to win this league.

We skooshed the last edition of the Scottish First division with Scott Fox who was decent but not outstanding, imo. We even didn't let Graeme Smith's o.g. debut half the Jaggernaut.

Even last season  St Mirren waltzed to the title with Craig 'The ginja ninja' Samson in goals. 

I'd be happy with the likes of Alexander with Sneddon as understudy. We need to splash the cash in other areas of the team. Such as the defence, the midfield and up front :innocent:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Col said:

So just like Edwards, another player who contributed to our relegation hasn't got the decency to hang about to try and get us back up. At least we have got some decent players with integrity still at the club.

I see Edwards has signed for Hearts. I suppose he did contribute to our relegation, but limited as he was, he  at least put in an effort.  

We are bitter and fickle.

We are football fans!

I don’t care how Tam played in previous seasons. He, along with others failed us this year and has now disappeared in our hour of need.

There were several howlers this year not mentioned above- Well away, Killie away to name a couple.

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

Bottom line is we don't need an exceptional keeper to win this league.

We skooshed the last edition of the Scottish First division with Scott Fox who was decent but not outstanding, imo. We even didn't let Graeme Smith's o.g. debut half the Jaggernaut.

Even last season  St Mirren waltzed to the title with Craig 'The ginja ninja' Samson in goals. 

I'd be happy with the likes of Alexander with Sneddon as understudy. We need to splash the cash in other areas of the team. Such as the defence, the midfield and up front :innocent:

Do we even need a keeper? 

Not disappointed  to see him go as I wasn't too impressed by his performances last season.

Drove me mad at times with his time wasting in the early stages of games we were looking to win,

e.g. the last game at Perth.   Can't be arsed with that kind of  pap when I've shelled out to travel to an away game.