Freddie Frans

Jaggernaut

He refers to being owed circa 100,000 Euros by his old club that he is never likely to see. 

If County or United are offering him big money then that is more likely to swing it than any sentimental feelings he has to Thistle. 

I’d like to see him back but I wouldn’t break the bank to do it. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

IMO if we have been linked with Craig Halkett and there is a genuine link I would much rather Archie and the club did everything they could to sign the Livi player as opposed to signing Freddie 

The link goes back to when both Livi and us were in different leagues. I'd imagine the only likelihood of him signing would've been on a pre contract and even then there probably would be a relegation opt out. Besides we need a full back as well as a centreback so we could easily be looking to sign both. 

A stumbling block with Frans could be length of contract. I'm sure he'd be fine in the 2nd tier but there's no reason to believe he'd be effective in the top tier. Better than Balatoni and Devine for instance but not by much. As I said elsewhere if he ends up at County or Tannadice that will be down to them overvaluing Frans's worth in wage, length of contract or both. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Better than Balatoni and Devine for instance but not by much.

That’s absolute nonsense.

Other than Lindsay, he was quite comfortably the best centre back we had in our time in the top flight. As evidenced by the fact that he’s been playing in the Belgian top flight and Balatoni has been kicking around the 5th tier of English football.

I’m not saying he’s a great player, he’s a bit slow and his distribution wasn’t great but he’s certainly good enough for the bottom half of the Premiership. Which will be our best case scenario by the end of any contract we give him. 

• Like 2

Get him signed! Vital. It must be better for a young foreign guy to live in Glasgow rather than Dingwall or Dungdee.

Far better than the garbage of last season.

Do we still have Barton and/or Keown?  We still need a CB anyway but if we can get rid of either or both of them we’ll need at least another CB.

16 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Get him signed! Vital. It must be better for a young foreign guy to live in Glasgow rather than Dingwall or Dungdee.

Far better than the garbage of last season.

Do we still have Barton and/or Keown?  We still need a CB anyway but if we can get rid of either or both of them we’ll need at least another CB.

Is OWare not a CB?  If we can’t get Halkett then would be happy with Frans but until Halkett has signed anywhere else we should be doing everything we can to sign him and if it means Freddie has to wait then so be it

oware and Halkett in defence would be a nightmare for other teams- 2 lads who know the division inside out and are not bombscares in defence 

Edited by Third Lanark

I'm in 2 minds

PROs: He is a solid defender at this level and a known quantity. We need a central defender and a captain, which Freddy can fill both. He's a fans favorite, so it would be a statement of intent and I'd rather have him play for us than against us.

CONs: He's solid, but not a world beater. There is a reason why he is looking at Scottish Championship clubs. I expect that his wages will be at the top end of our budget and he'll want accommodation included. We  need so many players that we might be better getting 2 cheaper players rather than the one statement player.

On the whole, I think I'd like him to find a club outside of Scotland 

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm in 2 minds

PROs: He is a solid defender at this level and a known quantity. We need a central defender and a captain, which Freddy can fill both. He's a fans favorite, so it would be a statement of intent and I'd rather have him play for us than against us.

CONs: He's solid, but not a world beater. There is a reason why he is looking at Scottish Championship clubs. I expect that his wages will be at the top end of our budget and he'll want accommodation included. We  need so many players that we might be better getting 2 cheaper players rather than the one statement player.

On the whole, I think I'd like him to find a club outside of Scotland 

There’s a reason why he’s looking at Scottish Championshio clubs, but we are a Scottish Championship club. He would be a terrific signing for our league and I’m amazed anyone thinks otherwise. 

2 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

There’s a reason why he’s looking at Scottish Championshio clubs, but we are a Scottish Championship club. He would be a terrific signing for our league and I’m amazed anyone thinks otherwise. 

He makes a valid point though - if his accommodation for instance cost us 2 players and we could get someone like Paton and Quitongo, or Halkett and Alexander for the same price then while I like Frans it would not be worth it

On 09/06/2018 at 12:37 PM, allyo said:

I thought he started well but faded. I wouldn't mind him back but I wouldn't be all that excited. 

I agree that is a fair summary. His first season (which I think was more like two-thirds of a season) was very encouraging, he was our "go to " centre back as compared to Balatoni and the frequently injured Seaborne, and he capped it off with a fine and very important goal at Ross County. There was talk of him moving up a level when the time came for him to leave us.

His second season just never got going. He was sent off in the first game at Hamilton, had  niggling injuries, scored a horrendous own goal at Motherwell, and when he did begin to knock on the selection door found it difficult to displace a rapidly improving Lindsay and a more regularly available and reasonably effective Seaborne. He was part of the infamous 3 centre backs without a ball-playing sweeper experiment in the dreadful Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice, and by the time he secured a spot in the starting line up the season was just about over.

So I tend to agree that he is a decent player and a good character, and there would be some encouragment in our being his team of choice over two of our rivals, but definitely not worth over-stretching the budget for.