Freddie Frans

Jaggernaut

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

There is another consideration.He became a father for the first time about 3months ago,i would expect that would also play a big part where he ends up.

Do you think he’ll be looking for a club with a decent academy or were you thinking child minding crèche?

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He makes a valid point though - if his accommodation for instance cost us 2 players and we could get someone like Paton and Quitongo, or Halkett and Alexander for the same price then while I like Frans it would not be worth it

Where are you plucking these names from? I’m pretty sure our choice isn’t between signing Jai Quitongo and signing Frans....

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

There is another consideration.He became a father for the first time about 3months ago,i would expect that would also play a big part where he ends up.

That could dissuade him from signing for United. At his age up in Dundee you're more likely to be a first time grandfather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Think Halkett would be a far better signing than Freddie to be honest mate

Could well be correct. He can play in a couple of right sided positions.

Btw I'm not sure if O'Ware has been signed to play as left centreback but finding a natural left sided defender could also be a priority.

Would happily give up Frans if we could pinch Halkett. There is some smoke obviously given that the media have caught on, but would still be a major coup. To sign two of the Championship's best CB, and two former club captains would be a pretty seismic achievement. However Halkett said in the Sunday Express that regardless of whether he accepts a contract extension at Livi, he still wants to play Premiership football this season. Therefore, perhaps Frans would have been a more sensible and realistic target. Time will tell.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

S*n reporting Frans deal with United all but concluded (subject to international clearance).

I would have liked to have had him back at Firhill, however, I remember frequent appearances on the subs bench for him. 

We need someone who will feature regularly this season.  Freddie has mystically become a far better player in our heads since his departure, probably due to the quality incumbents that filled the position in the later seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Wonder if we inquired about Gary Miller? We need a few players in that are versatile who can cover more than one position.  

Agree, tho' I remember well the Dick Campbell mantra "Defender X can play anywhere across the back four".  That of course being a Bunnet euphemism for Defender X is so crap he cannot hold down any place in the back four.

Thought McMillan a better player than Miller but both were rather small for anything but an emergency appearance at centreback. In fairness I can't remember Miller covering left back and can mind McMillan doing reasonably well on the other side of the field.  It could easily turn out that Gary Miller is just the type of player that would've enhanced the squad but until we know who the other key defenders we bring in are then we really don't know what type of utility player is required. For instance if we were to sign Halkett then the focus would surely move to bringing in naturally left sided defenders.