Commercially Inept

J465

The purpose of a commercial manager is to maximise revenue from a number of streams, including in Thistles case, from hospitality.

Am I alone in thinking that hospitality is going to be dead next year if Mr Quaile continues with a price structure that provides a poorer product than last season for the same price?  Of course they will roll out the Curry Buffet nights for Alloa on a Tuesday night but £70 for a standard hospitality at Championship level!? Seriously!? 

On another point which I feel strongly about, why is it that season ticket holders are, at this time of the season, promoted to stakeholders in the club, but yet when you want to upgrade to hospitality, rather than be offered a reasonable £20 discount, you are given the sole option of having an ‘upgrade’ to a ‘free bar’? Fine if you want to get leathered and if you can catch the eye of the bar staff more than twice during the service, but for other loyal fans who just want to make a day of it, it’s another kick in the teeth for season ticket holders. 

Maybe Ross would like to explain why, when your season ticket effectively covers your £20 entrance to watch the game, nothing is offered to compensate those who want hospitality but either done drink, or don’t want to get rat-arsed?

i had the same conversation with Ross last year as I tried to arrange a table of 6 non Jags fans for a hospitality table at Firhill. I cannot be sure if this was down to nativity, stupidity or stubbornness, but Mr Quaile lost out on £600 at least that day for being unwilling to offer me fair recompense for me having the cheek to have a season ticket.

Needless to say, my hard eared cash has not made an early arrival to Firhill this season and nor will it so long as the quality of the ‘commercial team’ remains the same.

This reads like one long personal grievance and has absolutely no place on a public forum. What an absolute disgrace to single out an individual employee in this way.  

As an aside, my observation is that the club’s commercial activity is the best it’s ever been. Hospitality has been sold out repeatedly, we have clearly increased the number of sponsorship deals we have, and from my experience of dealing with the Commercial Manager he has been an absolute credit to the club.

Again, this post and you are a disgrace. Not getting a discount for a hospitality table for you and your pals is no reason to slate a club employee in public.

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 8

Last season we got a naming deal for the stadium, there was a sponsor for Jagzone, new sponsors could been seen around the ground and in the programme and hospitality was sold out at numerous games so I would suggest that Ross was doing a ggod job. The people I spoke to who went to hospitality last season were also very happy with the experience.

I would echo KemoAvdiu's observations as I have had plenty of dealings with Ross and he has always been on the ball and a credit to the club.

It's a shame that this thread has almost immediatly descended into a slagging match as it's a serious issue in my view.

I agree that singling out an individual is not the way to go but cannot concur with the view that the commercial side of the club is in a good place. Just have a look at the on-line club shop. Apart from club ties, old programs and pewterware it's empty.

I've no experience of being in hospitality but was bought a voucher for two for my sixtieth,  the season before last which I couldn't use due to the post split OF games being exempt and not being around for the Aberdeen game. The colleague from my work who bought the voucher was not told of the exemption but also commented on how difficult it was to obtain. He's bought several hospitality packages at Fir Park and said the difference between the clubs was night and day.

Thistle don't seem to be able to "sell" the club and at a time when we need to turn things around. This is worrying to say the least.

Edited by scotty
grammar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

It's a shame that this thread has almost immediatly descended into a slagging match as it's a serious issue in my view.

I agree that singling out an individual is not the way to go but cannot concur with the view that the commercial side of the club is in a good place. Just have a look at the on-line club shop. Apart from club ties, old programs and pewterware it's empty.

I've no experience of being in hospitality but was bought a voucher for two for my sixtieth,  the season before last which I couldn't use due to the post split OF games being exempt and not being around for the Aberdeen game. The colleague from my work who bought the voucher was not told of the exemption but also commented on how difficult it was to obtain. He's bought several hospitality packages at Fir Park and said the difference between the clubs was night and day.

Thistle don't seem to be able to "sell" the club and at a time when we need to turn things around this is worrying to say the least.

The club shop is dealt with by an external company, is it not? I’d imagine that’s not the fault of the current Commercial Manager or team, nor is your pal’s poor experience of hospitality two years ago. 

My experience from attending hospitality is that there was a massive improvement last year, both in terms of quality and the professionalism. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that the standard of hospitality has improved, as I said I've no experience of using it. As for the fact that the club shop is run by an external company, this may be true but surely the club's commercial dept has some say in the level of service it pays for.

Opening league cup vs Morton looks good for hospitality.  £40 or £30 if season ticket holder and bearing in mind I don’t think season ticket gets you entry into this match you are probably only paying an additional £10-£15 or so (depending on admission prices) to have a wee bit of hospitality for opening game.

Agree with some of the posters above.  Ross has always being very professional in any dealings I have had with him.

Only an observation but the last year or so we constantly had match program and match ball sponsors- when did we ever previously have  that apart from games against the old firm.

also hospitality seemed to be sold out on a number of occasions last season and that was not just games against the old firm 

Hospitality is, on the whole, horrible value. If Ross can sell it out on a regular basis then fair play to him. Fans are treated very poorly by the club and I know my dad took it very hard that his oap season ticket price was put up and the league cup games removed. As a result he has not renewed.

4 minutes ago, flashman said:

Hospitality is, on the whole, horrible value. If Ross can sell it out on a regular basis then fair play to him. Fans are treated very poorly by the club and I know my dad took it very hard that his oap season ticket price was put up and the league cup games removed. As a result he has not renewed.

Surprised to hear that - what are the comparable amounts, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll not get involved in discussing quality or price issues as I haven't been in hospitality for yonks. Main reason for that being I'm a season ticket holder and don't see why I have to pay £20+ for the privilege. It's hardly cutting edge marketing to set the standard hospitality fee at £x for non season ticket holders and £x minus gate price for ST holders. It's all very well pointing out what appeared to be a higher than usual uptake in hospitality recently but there'll be many a home game when there'll be no hospitality at all. 

Season tickets are devalued this coming season as it is. Expecting ST holders to effectively further devalue their purchase by attending hospitality is nonsense.

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'll not get involved in discussing quality or price issues as I haven't been in hospitality for yonks. Main reason for that being I'm a season ticket holder and don't see why I have to pay £20+ for the privilege. It's hardly cutting edge marketing to set the standard hospitality fee at £x for non season ticket holders and £x minus gate price for ST holders. It's all very well pointing out what appeared to be a higher than usual uptake in hospitality recently but there'll be many a home game when there'll be no hospitality at all. 

Season tickets are devalued this coming season as it is. Expecting ST holders to effectively further devalue their purchase by attending hospitality is nonsense.

I may be reading you wrongly, but you don’t see why you should pay £20 for hospitality? What additional fee would you say is reasonable then?

Pretty sure there was hospitality at all games last year, with a large proportion sold out. 

6 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I may be reading you wrongly, but you don’t see why you should pay £20 for hospitality? What additional fee would you say is reasonable then?

Pretty sure there was hospitality at all games last year, with a large proportion sold out. 

Sorry I've probably not expressed myself very well.  As hospitality includes entry to the ground then a season ticket holder should have whatever that price is deducted from the price of hospitality. 

I'm not sure if hospitality was available on every match day last season or not but many of the days/nights were not what you'd call the full hospitality package. But it was mainly this season coming I was meaning. Selling hospitality is going to be that much harder without effectively discriminating against ST holders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Surprised to hear that - what are the comparable amounts, if you don't mind me asking?

Last season the concession price was £198(on early bird price). That got at least 19 league plus 2 cup games. This season it has gone up to £210 for 18 league games.

In comparison the adult early bird price has gone fro £308 to £290.

• Like 1

From reading the comments here it appears that when setting prices for hospitality the club need to consider season ticket holders, non season ticket holders, those that want a lot to drink, those who don't drink, what clubs of a similar size charge, the opponents on the day and come up with something that pleases everyone whilst making a profit at the same time.

Ultimately if you think it is a good package you will go and if you don't you won't. If the club then think we are not getting enough people coming they will look at making changes but hopefully Ross will continue the good work from last season and we will see hospitality being very busy on matchdays (it is worth it in my humble opinion just to listen to Robert Reid, there is some guy called Michael as well who is okay I suppose).

Quick final point - we should all be glad that we are Thistle fans for obvious reasons but having a look at some of our rivals hospitality packages a few people on here should just be glad they are not being asked to attend hospitality there.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

Last season the concession price was £198(on early bird price). That got at least 19 league plus 2 cup games. This season it has gone up to £210 for 18 league games.

I have renewed my Season Ticket but was very disappointed that the price rose by £12.00 for less games,not the way to treat Season Ticket holders.The Club give out this "come and Support us",we need you then up the price for a lesser product.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Thanks Lenziejag - didn't realise that was the case.

10 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

I have renewed my Season Ticket but was very disappointed that the price rose by £12.00 for less games,not the way to treat Season Ticket holders.The Club give out this "come and Support us",we need you then up the price for a lesser product.

You should be happy to pay more given the quality of person you get to sit with :)

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Also the differential in saving between gate price and ST price has narrowed. 

• Like 1

Hospitality is an enjoyable experience but for me it's too expensive, especially as a season ticket holder.

Given that it's set up to raise funds for the club, we can't really complain if they manage to sell it at the price they set. If people want to pay it, great.

I'm not convinced it ever sells out though (bar Sevco games. ) Remember the special Itison deal for Celtic fans last year?

https://www.itison.com/Glasgow/events/partick-thistle-vs-celtic-premium-tickets/events

£59 for a meal and an unlimited bar was snapped up by the Celtic fans.

I'm not so sure that Jags fans will be as keen to pay £95 deal for the Ayr / Morton / Falkirk / QOS matches.

And as for increasing the price of OAP Season Tickets, that's just wrong. Cost should be reduced, in line with the Adult ST price.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sinistar said:

Hospitality is an enjoyable experience but for me it's too expensive, especially as a season ticket holder.

Given that it's set up to raise funds for the club, we can't really complain if they manage to sell it at the price they set. If people want to pay it, great.

I'm not convinced it ever sells out though (bar Sevco games. ) Remember the special Itison deal for Celtic fans last year?

https://www.itison.com/Glasgow/events/partick-thistle-vs-celtic-premium-tickets/events

£59 for a meal and an unlimited bar was snapped up by the Celtic fans.

I'm not so sure that Jags fans will be as keen to pay £95 deal for the Ayr / Morton / Falkirk / QOS matches.

And as for increasing the price of OAP Season Tickets, that's just wrong. Cost should be reduced, in line with the Adult ST price.

It sold out on multiple occasions last year. I’m not sure what there is to believe or not believe about that...? And surely advertising on Itison is the kind of creative approach we would want to get the money in? 

• Thanks 1

I believe you! Out of interest, perhaps you could tell us the percentage of complete sell outs over the last season?

And yes of course, all for a creative approach to get the money in; if it benefits the club, all good.

Supply and demand will always win the day, however is it okay for Celtic fans to get a cheaper deal than Jags fans?

Perhaps it's just the same question as is whether it's right or wrong  to shunt Jags fans out of the JHS for Celtic / Sevco games to sell more tickets.

I also think it's perfectly fair for Jags fans (season ticket holders or not ) to give their view on the value of hospitality to them,  good or bad.

4 minutes ago, Sinistar said:

I believe you! Out of interest, perhaps you could tell us the percentage of complete sell outs over the last season?

And yes of course, all for a creative approach to get the money in; if it benefits the club, all good.

Supply and demand will always win the day, however is it okay for Celtic fans to get a cheaper deal than Jags fans?

Perhaps it's just the same question as is whether it's right or wrong  to shunt Jags fans out of the JHS for Celtic / Sevco games to sell more tickets.

I also think it's perfectly fair for Jags fans (season ticket holders or not ) to give their view on the value of hospitality to them,  good or bad.

I’ve no idea of the percentage. I’ve just seen us punt the fact that it’s been sold out lots of times over the past season. 

I also think it’s totally fair to give views on hospitality value. My only problem was with the original poster who has singled out a club employee because they wouldn’t give them a discount. 

Edited to add: I’m all for raking in as much money from the Old Firm as possible. More than happy to be moved seats. Just a shame we don’t have that problem this year! 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

£18 less for 1 less league game and no league cup games.....disappointed that the club hasn't made an effort to add value to the season ticket. Frankly we are being asked to pay more to watch Thistle in a lower league.  Couple of things I think the BoD should have done  1.  charge less for the JL stand,  2. Either add group stage games in in the league cup  and home  challenge cup games to the season ticket or promised ST holders a 50% discount on walk up prices, let's face it we will be lucky to get more than 2000-2500 in for them.

On another point, the TTL merchandise is pretty dire, apart from a couple of training tops and tracksuit,  there's not much on offer. One of the supporters groups (Edinburgh & East of Scotland I think) have produced some great t shirts in the last few years, why not ask for some help designing t-shirts, make 3 or 4 limited edition designs like the ones Greaves had when we had the deal with them? there are plenty companies that will print a smallish run on decent quality t-shirts.

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 2