Commercially Inept

J465

Ross is a better commercial manager than we have had for sometime. But the Club set prices based on staying in the top flight, haven’t re-visited them much based on the Championship.

I let my Season Ticket lapse a few years ago as I was living too far away to make use of it more than once or twice per season. But my impression is that it has fewer and fewer incentives attached to it that make it worth buying. I put my money into player sponsorship instead, that’s my way of supporting the Club.

Maybe the Club should look at a whole range of reward packages for fans, including STs, and develop a set of flexible options for those near/far away; we need loyalty across a number of seasons to be better acknowledged and appreciated.

Edited by sandy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayfarer said:

£18 less for 1 less league game and no league cup games.....disappointed that the club hasn't made an effort to add value to the season ticket frankly we are being asked to pay more to watch Thistle in a lower league.  Couple of things I think the BoD should have done  1.  charge less for the JL stand,  2. Either add group stage games in in the league cup  and home  challenge cup games to the season ticket or promised ST holders a 50% discount on walk up prices, let's face it we will be lucky to get more than 2500 in for them.

On another point, the TTL merchandise is pretty dire, apart from a couple of training tops and tracksuit,  there's not much on offer. One of the supporters groups (Edinburgh & East of Scotland I think) have produced some great t shirts in the last few years, why not ask for some help designing t-shirts, make 3 or 4 limited edition designs like the ones Greaves had when we had the deal with them? there are plenty companies that will print a smallish run on decent quality t-shirts.

Playing Devils advocate now. Let’s assume that the majority of concessions gave all the old firm games a miss and will go to all the league games. The value per game then works out the same !

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Playing Devils advocate now. Let’s assume that the majority of concessions gave all the old firm games a miss and will go to all the league games. The value per game then works out the same !

In a lower league. Whether ST holdesmes chose to miss the games against the ugly sisters or not isn't the point. Kast year I got 19 league games and 2 league cup games in my ST. Appreciate due to the way the fixtures worked out I got an extra league game but £309 for 21 games is better value than £290 for 18

I can't remember so hopefully someone will be able to remind me. When the League Cup went to group stages did we include the 2 home games in the season ticket for that season? If we did not and then included them last season that was a mistake in my opinion. It should be consistent one way or the other.

Season ticket prices and hospitality prices are way too high for championship especially straight after relegation, when we should be doing everything we can to get fans back. 

The product on offer last season was atrocious and the thread bare squad for this season doesn’t (so far) make me think this season will be any better.

Poor entertainment, poor results, just been relegated, next to no squad, in a stadium that is starting to look dilapidated and dirty and we basically put the price up, where’s the encentive? Where’s the grab ( New players, new manager, reduced price, free cup games, etc) ?

We increasingly are being asked to renew or attend (games, hospitality) out of blind loyalty and nothing else, which is fine for the die hard but with an aging support how do we grow the fan base with new fans, that were missing, U16’s is great but will they come when they are adults if cost is too high entertainment is poor? Plus do the parents want to take kids to see a boring game we’re likely to lose in a dirty stadium with a poor choice of overpriced snacks to keep them amused especially on a cold wet day?

Clubs not much bigger than us down south or on the continent are doing so much more, fan zones, clean stadiums, decent food, proper kids zones with entertainment good ticket deals and membership points etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scotty said:

If you're wanting a good example of a commercial dept enticing fans try looking at, not a couple of miles away,  Glasgow Tigers speedway.

I must confess to not being an expert on speedway so could you enlighten us on what they are doing. I seem to recall a few years ago that they were in some financial difficulty or am I mistaken?

Edited by Fawlty Towers

23 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I must confess to not being an expert on speedway so could you enlighten us on what they are doing. I seem to recall a few years ago that they were in some financial difficulty or am I mistaken?

They may well have been but if you look at their web-site, social media presence and advertising in the local area they are definately on the up. Fan involvement and creating a family orientated atmosphere seems to be a big part of their push for more fans.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Season ticket prices and hospitality prices are way too high for championship especially straight after relegation, when we should be doing everything we can to get fans back. 

Altho' I agree with you, from a marketing/commercial aspect I can understand the Club not wanting to reduce either for the principal reason it's very difficult to raise prices at a later date. The Club would take a lot of stick just to return prices to today's level. What I feel they should be doing is keep prices more or less as they are but introduce an artificial element to make these high prices more attractive. In other words add a few perks onto the ST and hospitality packages for this season at least.  

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Altho' I agree with you, from a marketing/commercial aspect I can understand the Club not wanting to reduce either for the principal reason it's very difficult to raise prices at a later date. The Club would take a lot of stick just to return prices to today's level. What I feel they should be doing is keep prices more or less as they are but introduce an artificial element to make these high prices more attractive. In other words add a few perks onto the ST and hospitality packages for this season at least.  

Totally agree with the incentives selling STs helps fix a budget with cash up front regardless of our match day attendance 

An easy one would be to meet your favourite player at some point during the season for all ST holders, set up a few after game meets in the Alan Rough lounge, sell beers and merchandise too, it takes half an hour, have a quick chat, take a few pics and there you go!  I know the Motm is in the corporate lounge so not every player is available but give a few opportunities throughout the season and hopefully that should satisfy everyone that wants it?

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

3 hours ago, sb1876 said:

An easy one would be to meet your favourite player at some point during the season for all ST holders, set up a few after game meets in the Alan Rough lounge, sell beers and merchandise too, it takes half an hour, have a quick chat, take a few pics and there you go!  I know the Motm is in the corporate lounge so not every player is available but give a few opportunities throughout the season and hopefully that should satisfy everyone that wants it?

No more likes.Agree with these posts.Also I know rugby in Glasgow doesn't have a lot of competition but the Warriors seem to get good crowds.We have had partnerships with them in the past might be worth getting in contact with them and just see  if they do anything  that we could use.

I went to hospitality for a curry  buffet night a couple of years ago, paid extra on top of my season ticket and the food was basically rationed so I didn't even get a proper feed. Won't be going back. Piss poor value. I would have been much better just going for a curry in the West End before the match.

Edited by scottymagoo
Poor grammar (even worse than what's left).
  • Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, sb1876 said:

They have meet the players after every home game.  Wait for the fuss to die down when the kids have got their autographs then go over and chat to them.

I think the original poster was far too personal on this thread.  "Inept" is a terrible word to use about a person who I have found personable, positive and approachable.  The market will determine the price of hospitality with supply and demand and if they need to lower prices then I am sure they will.  If you don't like the cost then sorry.

I do struggle to understand the views of some fans.  The club has limited resources.  If it was to have fan parks etc then where would they be held?  This is the kind of thing fans should take initiative on but with 3000 fans I am not sure what the demand would be.

A season ticket is the main way we can support the club.  The club has limited external income.  No tv.  Small companies sponsor us.  Money is tight with a small club like us so for me buying a season ticket is allowing them to budget for the season, get better players in and earlier and hopefully make a good start.  We are months behind Inverness, Falkirk, Dunfermline as they knew what league they were going to be in.   I see us as a non-profit than a business. 

On a side note why do the retired get reduced season tickets?  60+ are the most wealthy section of society with little outgoings and good pensions. *chucks grenade and runs away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

On a side note why do the retired get reduced season tickets?  60+ are the most wealthy section of society with little outgoings and good pensions. *chucks grenade and runs away.

Maybe because the retired/65 pluses have over the years faithfully put thousands upon thousands of hard earned cash into the Club. Perhaps because advancing years makes it harder to attend matches, probably incurring more expense. Or it's just the Club showing a bit of appreciation in the full knowledge that us geriatrics had to pay to take their kids to Firhill, forking out a fair amount of dosh at a time when they were most certainly not in the most wealthy section of society.  And I suppose many of this affluent demographic may continue to financially support their children allowing them that bit of latitude to purchase their season tickets. Then again it could be that most reasonable people regard "means testing" as so last century and don't want to see it re-introduced into everyday society.

Here, kid, have your ******* grenade back

:)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

When I become eligible for a reduced price season ticket (at 65, not 60+), I will still have two school age children. Best of both worlds, reduced for me, free for them. I'll be rolling in cash :angry:

Sounds like a fine example of family planning BB!:lol:

Jeez - not sure where to start on this one but...I totally disagree with the original post. Ross is a real asset to the club. I maybe have a different perspective on account of not having a season ticket. I think we should all realise that there are different types of fans at thistle. In my case - I am a regular attendee for many many years, but I’ve never had a season ticket. Anyway - in my case...me and my old school chums try go to hospitality at least once a season. We’ve done this for about the last 7 or so years. Many of my pals can’t go to football as often as me, but this is our way of having a special day together. It also gets more money into the club.

Despite the football being duff last year, the hospitality was better than ever; I went 3 times. A large part of the credit for this must go to Ross. I think he only took over at the start of last season, so folks that are criticising it from earlier should give it another go.

Hopspitality won’t be for everyone. In the same way that season tickets are not. Both are important revenue stream for the club, but they might not overlap to everybody’s satisfaction. All I can say is that I think it is better than ever, with great folk behind the scenes with a real passion for the club. Give it a go.

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I think the original poster was far too personal on this thread.  "Inept" is a terrible word to use about a person who I have found personable, positive and approachable.  The market will determine the price of hospitality with supply and demand and if they need to lower prices then I am sure they will.  If you don't like the cost then sorry.

I do struggle to understand the views of some fans.  The club has limited resources.  If it was to have fan parks etc then where would they be held?  This is the kind of thing fans should take initiative on but with 3000 fans I am not sure what the demand would be.

A season ticket is the main way we can support the club.  The club has limited external income.  No tv.  Small companies sponsor us.  Money is tight with a small club like us so for me buying a season ticket is allowing them to budget for the season, get better players in and earlier and hopefully make a good start.  We are months behind Inverness, Falkirk, Dunfermline as they knew what league they were going to be in.   I see us as a non-profit than a business. 

We might be a bit behind Falkirk .Inverness and Dunfermline were not sure what league they would be in only a couple of weeks before us.As far as your side note, I am 60+ but not quite OAP and I am not amongst the most wealthy in society not anywhere near it.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe because the retired/65 pluses have over the years faithfully put thousands upon thousands of hard earned cash into the Club. Perhaps because advancing years makes it harder to attend matches, probably incurring more expense. Or it's just the Club showing a bit of appreciation in the full knowledge that us geriatrics had to pay to take their kids to Firhill, forking out a fair amount of dosh at a time when they were most certainly not in the most wealthy section of society.  And I suppose many of this affluent demographic may continue to financially support their children allowing them that bit of latitude to purchase their season tickets. Then again it could be that most reasonable people regard "means testing" as so last century and don't want to see it re-introduced into everyday society.

Here, kid, have your ******* grenade back

:)

Couldn't agree more.

On 16/06/2018 at 6:30 PM, Wayfarer said:

In a lower league. Whether ST holdesmes chose to miss the games against the ugly sisters or not isn't the point. Kast year I got 19 league games and 2 league cup games in my ST. Appreciate due to the way the fixtures worked out I got an extra league game but £309 for 21 games is better value than £290 for 18

I am not going to argue. I was just saying that it could be the scenario looked at by the club.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Just been to renew ST. Guy at the desk said that ST sales are a bit ahead of this time last year. Probably doesn’t mean much but it is a slow news day so far.

I don't believe the guy will be too wayward. So the question that  has to be asked is why are ST sales roughly similar in volume for a top six club and a relegated club? Assuming there's some veracity in the guy's comments what does that tell us about the Jags support in general?   We already know that our top six finish made no apparent affect  on our home attendances in the season just passed.

Put another way a club ends up 6th in the top league one year. The following year that club is relegated. How many other clubs  wouldn't suffer a dramatic reduction in ensuing ST sales? Very difficult marketing situation where success isn't replicated by increased sales.