World Cup Musings

Jaggernaut

28 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Game of the tournament to date tonight. And there have been a handful of contenders for that accolade. (Spain v Portugal, France v Argentina, Uruguay v Portugal)

That was riveting stuff.

I enjoyed the first 45 mins and felt all that was missing was a goal to ignite the game. The second half tho' was just so unbelievably good. Feel that Japan's shape, discipline and overall tactics would have seen off all but a handful of countries on tonight's performance, so got to be impressed by Belgium. Hard to believe that Honda's free kick, the ensuing Japan corner and the Belgium goal all came in the last 90 secs or so of injury time.

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I enjoyed the first 45 mins and felt all that was missing was a goal to ignite the game. The second half tho' was just so unbelievably good. Feel that Japan's shape, discipline and overall tactics would have seen off all but a handful of countries on tonight's performance, so got to be impressed by Belgium. Hard to believe that Honda's free kick, the ensuing Japan corner and the Belgium goal all came in the last 90 secs or so of injury time.

Pretty much underline your view LIB. 

Thought Japan were naive not to cover a potential break on the free-kick. Wonderful quick release from Courtois to launch the break - and what a classic break it was.

Vertonghen and Courtois were not clever on the first goal, but both redeemed themselves in different ways later on.

Really hope that Belgium can do Cuntmar & co in the quarters. Nothing against the remainder of the Brazil team, but his gamesmanship means he is utterly detestable as an ambassador for the sport that we all love.

There should be a repechage like in canoeing to give Japan an opportunity of getting back in. 

Someone mentioned earlier on in this thread a best of the rest team made up from nations that did not qualify for the World Cup. For all sorts of reasons that would not be practicable, but could fans from the non-competing nations (and therefore not (or at least less) prejudiced) form a jury to elect "fastest losers" from each round to move forward to the next round?

Belgium's winning goal was a real beauty; in some ways it reminded me of SOD's great goal at Tannadice a few seasons ago: fast, direct, delightful touches. I can't help thinking that if Adam Barton had received that throw-out from the keeper he'd have run maybe 25 metres before stopping and turning back, to play a sideways or backward pass, making sure that the entire opposition defence had plenty of time to get in place.

Ironic that Japan got slated for settling for a draw and playing out time in their final group game, yet if they had done something similar last night they'd probably get praised to high heaven for seeing the game out safely.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Belgium's winning goal was a real beauty; in some ways it reminded me of SOD's great goal at Tannadice a few seasons ago: fast, direct, delightful touches. I can't help thinking that if Adam Barton had received that throw-out from the keeper he'd have run maybe 25 metres before stopping and turning back, to play a sideways or backward pass, making sure that the entire opposition defence had plenty of time to get in place.

True re Barton but could be said about just about every defender/midfielder last season. Anyway Cerny would've dropped to the ground clutching the ball and would just about be ready to get back on his feet to hear the final whistle. 

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Brilliant that Belgium & France are through, that semi is a difficult one to call tbh.

Looking forward to it. France looked pretty classy last night, again. Belgium are real fighters and have a winning mentality.

I'm predicting a Russia vs. Sweden 2nd semi.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I hope you didn’t have any money on that

Haha, luckily no.

Got to hand it to England so far; they're getting the job done efficiently each time. Sweden relied too much on the outdated punt or cross to their big "strikers". I just wish Scotland could get as far as Sweden did, outdated style or not.

Croatia is a lovely country....

Agree entirely BB.  Last night he looked slow to react, and a more agile and quick player in his position would probably have changed the course of the game.  He was the one weakness in a great Belgian side.

France look like winners.  I wouldn't mind if England win it, as long as I was able to transport myself to planet Zog and avoid the mass hysteria and PTD's ECH.  If only there were some decent sized caves in Russia.

Edited by eljaggo

In conversation with my Iranian barber this morning, we talked about England winning. He has many nationalities in his chair. He said that the, almost universal, opinion is that people don't mind the team winning if they deserve it but the media would make that outcome unbearable.

From Wimbledon, a reporter mentioned that they had played a video clip of Tim Henman wishing England luck and then, and I quote, "they spoiled it by playing Goran Ivanisovich saying 'Come on Croatia'". Well done BBC.

13 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

So sad, too bad, never mind.

The commentators don't know how they lost - rather ignoring the stats - Croatia 7 shots, England 1!

Kane not in the game, Ali not in the game, Rashford zero contribution.

They lost to the first decent team they met (pretty much as usual).

At least They got to the last four. Scotland can't even get out the group stage. The only British Isles side not to do so. England can be proud of what they achieved this tournament. They will only improve.

I've got nothing against the team, but the English media constantly over-hype them.

We've been listening to the same sort of patter about England winning tournaments for decades now.

Allow us a wee gloat when their world comes crashing back to earth.

Ps if you turn over to STV+1 they're still in the World Cup.......

Pls Hoddle is an utter diddy - "that was the cross of the tournament"

Edited by Rid Skwerr
Eta

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

At least They got to the last four. Scotland can't even get out the group stage. The only British Isles side not to do so. England can be proud of what they achieved this tournament. They will only improve.

Turn that on its head just a bit. Croatia has a population less than Scotland.  if England can be proud of what they did, what adjective would you use to describe Croatia's achievement?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rid Skwerr said:

I've got nothing against the team, but the English media constantly over-hype them.

We've been listening to the same sort of patter about England winning tournaments for decades now.

Allow us a wee gloat when their world comes crashing back to earth.

Ps if you turn over to STV+1 they're still in the World Cup.......

Pls Hoddle is an utter diddy - "that was the cross of the tournament"

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Turn that on its head just a bit. Croatia has a population less than Scotland.  if England can be proud of what they did, what adjective would you use to describe Croatia's achievement?

Ran out of likes.Agree with RS and LIB.