World Cup Musings

Jaggernaut

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Turn that on its head just a bit. Croatia has a population less than Scotland.  if England can be proud of what they did, what adjective would you use to describe Croatia's achievement?

A country who realise what football means instead of our so called guardians of our game who pander to the two scumbags and not care for anyone else. And as I said England are a young team that will only get better. And regards population, International football is littered with smaller nations doing well. Wales, Northern Ireland, Denmark and Uruguay to name some. It's not only England that would be in the dock. 

I think this was by far Englands best chance to win this or at worst get to the final.The draw seemed to open up for them.Ithink countries like Germany,Argentina,Portugal,Spain and Brazil will be better the next time around.Also Italy and Holland who missed out completely.

1 hour ago, Rid Skwerr said:

So sad, too bad, never mind.

The commentators don't know how they lost - rather ignoring the stats - Croatia 7 shots, England 1!

Kane not in the game, Ali not in the game, Rashford zero contribution.

They lost to the first decent team they met (pretty much as usual).

That stat confused me, England scored and the keeper saved from Kane, so it had to be more than 1

24 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think this was by far Englands best chance to win this or at worst get to the final.The draw seemed to open up for them.Ithink countries like Germany,Argentina,Portugal,Spain and Brazil will be better the next time around.Also Italy and Holland who missed out completely.

I wonder what Belgium think now about beating England instead of settling for runner up in the group?

8 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

At least They got to the last four. Scotland can't even get out the group stage. The only British Isles side not to do so. England can be proud of what they achieved this tournament. They will only improve.

I think they surprised everyone by going so far but really do not comprehend the mass hysteria.

played 6, won 3 (Tunisia, Panama, Sweden), drew 1 (Colombia), lost 2 (Croatia, Belgium). three pussycats more than lions I would have thought. But as you say, at least they qualified...

19 hours ago, jaggy said:

That stat confused me, England scored and the keeper saved from Kane, so it had to be more than 1

The Kane one was ruled offside so wouldn't count in the official stats. Had he scored VAR would have overruled the offside flag though.

With regards to England. If you'd said beforehand they'd get to the semi-final you'd probably say they'd over-achieved. However, they went into the tournament at 12 in the FIFA rankings and beat Tunisia (21), Panama (55) and Sweden (24). They beat Colombia (16) on pens and lost to Belgium (3) and Croatia (20). Is that really over-achieving? Of the 12 goals they scored 3 were pens, 7 were from set pieces and 2 were from open play, 1 of which the scorer (Kane) knew nothing about. Well done to them for taking advantage of the draw but it's very difficult to predict if they will be able to build on this tournament. They've had a lot of success at the u21, u20 and u17 age levels so they definitely have grounds for optimism, but they need to find some creativity in midfield so they become more of a threat from open play. 

1 hour ago, Duck snort said:

The Kane one was ruled offside so wouldn't count in the official stats. Had he scored VAR would have overruled the offside flag though.

With regards to England. If you'd said beforehand they'd get to the semi-final you'd probably say they'd over-achieved. However, they went into the tournament at 12 in the FIFA rankings and beat Tunisia (21), Panama (55) and Sweden (24). They beat Colombia (16) on pens and lost to Belgium (3) and Croatia (20). Is that really over-achieving? Of the 12 goals they scored 3 were pens, 7 were from set pieces and 2 were from open play, 1 of which the scorer (Kane) knew nothing about. Well done to them for taking advantage of the draw but it's very difficult to predict if they will be able to build on this tournament. They've had a lot of success at the u21, u20 and u17 age levels so they definitely have grounds for optimism, but they need to find some creativity in midfield so they become more of a threat from open play. 

Was Kane’s ruled offside. I thought the flag went up because the ball went out of play ?

However, Stones had a header cleared off the line.

I think the “overachievement” is based on the squad that went to Russia as opposed to the team that got them there ?

Stats can be produced to prove/disprove any argument.

Edited by Lenziejag

On 12/07/2018 at 7:03 PM, Duck snort said:

Great stats, DuckSnort. Having said all of that I think Engerland might just be in the next Euros final.

Can't really argue with France emerging as Champions; they are a bloody good team. Felt sorry for Croatia last night, starting so strongly and dominating, then falling behind to an unfortunate own goal. A nice equalizer, then a very harsh penalty, as the hand ball was completely accidental. I reckon that double blow must have daunted their confidence.

On 11/07/2018 at 10:06 PM, Rid Skwerr said:

I've got nothing against the team, but the English media constantly over-hype them.

We've been listening to the same sort of patter about England winning tournaments for decades now.

Allow us a wee gloat when their world comes crashing back to earth.

Ps if you turn over to STV+1 they're still in the World Cup.......

Pls Hoddle is an utter diddy - "that was the cross of the tournament"

To be fair to Hoddle, there were not many contenders. The standard of crossing was particularly Thistleesque, aimlessly punted in from wide and either cut out by the first defender or sailing out for a throw in. Croatia in the final were particularly bad. Actually, Croatia were quite Thistley, passing across the box before reverting to a wideman who crossed to nobody.

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

To be fair to Hoddle, there were not many contenders. The standard of crossing was particularly Thistleesque, aimlessly punted in from wide and either cut out by the first defender or sailing out for a throw in. Croatia in the final were particularly bad. Actually, Croatia were quite Thistley, passing across the box before reverting to a wideman who crossed to nobody.

Thought Hoddle excelled himself when a player landed on the ground damaging his humerus. Says Glenn "That's a real sore one. I don't know why they call it the funny arm".