World Cup Musings

Jaggernaut

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Why is Patrice Evra wearing a bow tie on top of a crew neck sweater?

2 hours ago, Jago1953 said:

Maybe it’s his punishment for being a patronising b’stard to look like the d*ck he is.

That explains it.Expect to see more going down this route then.Hoddle another one I cant stand.

22 hours ago, robphil said:

Still find it remarkable that we had three players - Jimmy Davidson, johnny Mac  and david mathers - in the 1954 World Cup squad

I don't think Mathers actually travelled to Switzerland but still amazing to have three Jags selected.

Watching France yesterday reminded me of the difficulty Archie had in shoehorning Dools, Storey and Sammon in to his starting line-up...

On 21/06/2018 at 7:41 PM, Auld Jag said:

Doubt it.Ever since he said disabled people were that way because of bad things they had done in a previous life .Just a personal thing, each to their own.

I can never take Hoddle seriously after those appalling remarks he made; idiot. He’s a baw hair away from being another David Icke.

• Like 1

Most of the "big" teams will probably stumble into the next phase. Belgium starting to look very strong.

Looking forward to Japan vs. Senegal at midnight here. The Senegalese tower above the Samurai Blue, but when the Japanese players click they can play some really neat football.... not so much in the past few months, though.

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Croatia were majestic against Argentina, they could go far. Germany squeaked it against Sweden, but don’t rule them out.

Those two, France and perhaps Spain for the semi-finals? But then there is the home factor...and Russia.

So its not just Engerland playing in this tournament then.:frantic:

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Germany squeaked it against Sweden, but don’t rule them out.

I see that Die Welt are referring to the Toni Kroos injury time goal as "doing a  Wilhelm Gibson".

Seriously tho' in terms of importance, planning and execution, plus just sheer brilliance,  Kroos's goal is hard to beat.

• Like 1

Just now, Lenziejag said:

I don’t know if it is just this match. It certainly looks as if there are several sections where the Poles and Columbians are sitting together.

That's been a theme throughout the competition but even at that it's fairly common in World Cups from the past.  The way tickets are distributed always makes for pockets of opposing fans being in the "wrong end" so to speak. I guess there'll be special provision made should Serbia meet Croatia, or England play a couple of other countries but by and large it'll be no great surprise to see opposing fans sitting beside each other.

Trouble is what happens in the World Cup tends to reflect back on how national football associations attend to their own domestic situations. For instance, and concern to us all, will Jambo & Jags fans be allowed to mingle in Central Park, Cowdenbeath? Will Wee Jimmy's Bar be considered a de-militarised zone?

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Trouble is what happens in the World Cup tends to reflect back on how national football associations attend to their own domestic situations. 

I guess this is the bit that I was thinking about.

What makes it ok at World Cups and presumably other tournament finals but not in domestic club and European matches and other Internationals.

At these type of games, fans in the “wrong end”, theoretically would be turfed out and the Home club/nation fined

Most sets of fans, for example Poland & Columbia, seem to be totally harmless when put together, unless there is some historical antipathy of which I am unaware. The intermixing party spirit may even be a positive factor towards enjoyment, as seems to  be the case in 6 Nations Rugby.  Some combinations are of course a powder keg of toxicity, but presumably these are readily identifiable.

However, all it might take is an inflammatory incident or gesture on the pitch to turn benign cohabitation into  belligerent confrontation.