World Cup Musings

Jaggernaut

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

How great was the standard of football today? God knows how far behind the present day Scotland team playing at its best is behind any of those four having an off day. 

Fantastic start to the last 16 games, hope the standard of the rest of the games is as close to today. 

Question for others. I thought the initial foul on Mbappe was 2 yards outside the box today, but the defender continued to foul him. None of the commentators or ‘experts’ raised doubts about the penalty award. Is there a law in place now that allows the ref to give a penalty in such a case, or should it have been a free kick?

41 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Question for others. I thought the initial foul on Mbappe was 2 yards outside the box today, but the defender continued to foul him. None of the commentators or ‘experts’ raised doubts about the penalty award. Is there a law in place now that allows the ref to give a penalty in such a case, or should it have been a free kick?

I've heard talk of the momentum of the fouled player being taken into consideration but I don't even pretend to know the ruling. That said I assume if you're fouled outside the box the ref could still be playing advantage rule. So a secondary foul inside the box would result in a penalty. No idea if that was the case today.

On 30/06/2018 at 9:28 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

How great was the standard of football today? God knows how far behind the present day Scotland team playing at its best is behind any of those four having an off day. 

I've still to see a left back as good as Andy Robertson so far in the tournament :innocent:

Just ten more to find for Qatar2022!

15 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I wish to be the first on this forum to say the Spanish players were utter cack.

They were quite Thistley at times. Plenty of possession but not quick enough to turn or threaten the opponents...

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

They were quite Thistley at times. Plenty of possession but not quick enough to turn or threaten the opponents...

Thistle, Scotland, Spain, we all have the same problem, actually Russia v Spain was like us v  livvy :lol: 

9 hours ago, jagfox said:

I've still to see a left back as good as Andy Robertson so far in the tournament :innocent:

Just ten more to find for Qatar2022!

Is there a case for a rest of the world team for players from Nations that didn’t qualify. There must be some good Italian and Dutch players to go with Robertson, Bale and Berra

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is there a case for a rest of the world team for players from Nations that didn’t qualify. There must be some good Italian and Dutch players to go with Robertson, Bale and Berra

That’s an interesting concept. Not sure how workable it is though and whether a manager would have enough time to put a team together