Anyone know who's going to win the World Cup?

douglas clark

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I think what DD is getting at is so far all winners have been from Europe or South America, but it's rare for them to win on the opposite continent, only twice. The other 5 you mentioned were played in North America, Africa and Asia.

I know there have been tournaments in USA; South Africa and Japan/Korea. I guess you are also including Mexico in North America. Where has the other one been. (Maybe twice in Mexico ?)

Brazil look like the most balanced and cohesive side IMO, and they have the fewest obvious flaws. If Gabriel Jesus were to hit form, or if they found a way to incorporate Firmino into the side without having him tread on Neymar's toes (and we all know he doesn't like that) then I sense Tite will have resolved the final niggling issue with his team.  

Other contenders? France have the players to do it -- in fact they have a superior squad to Brazil on paper -- but they've been quite inconsistent. I'm not convinced by their full-backs, even if Pavard did score one of the goals of the tournament, and Pogba has a frustrating tendency drift in and out of games. If they play as they did against Argentina then they'll be in with a shout, but I doubt they'll be able to maintain that level of performance. Their system just doesn't seem quite right. Belgium have the attack but not the defence; Croatia are a tad short in terms of depth of squad; and England aren't as good as their victory against an awful Panama side inexplicably suggested to some commentators. My dark horse team are actually Uruguay. I think they might topple France in the next round. 

3 hours ago, Gnome on the Bing said:

Brazil look like the most balanced and cohesive side IMO, and they have the fewest obvious flaws. If Gabriel Jesus were to hit form, or if they found a way to incorporate Firmino into the side without having him tread on Neymar's toes (and we all know he doesn't like that) then I sense Tite will have resolved the final niggling issue with his team.  

Other contenders? France have the players to do it -- in fact they have a superior squad to Brazil on paper -- but they've been quite inconsistent. I'm not convinced by their full-backs, even if Pavard did score one of the goals of the tournament, and Pogba has a frustrating tendency drift in and out of games. If they play as they did against Argentina then they'll be in with a shout, but I doubt they'll be able to maintain that level of performance. Their system just doesn't seem quite right. Belgium have the attack but not the defence; Croatia are a tad short in terms of depth of squad; and England aren't as good as their victory against an awful Panama side inexplicably suggested to some commentators. My dark horse team are actually Uruguay. I think they might topple France in the next round. 

Russia got no chance?

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I know there have been tournaments in USA; South Africa and Japan/Korea. I guess you are also including Mexico in North America. Where has the other one been. (Maybe twice in Mexico ?)

Mexico is in North America  :hypocrite:

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I thought Central America - no ?

Central America gets mentioned as a region but it's not a continent, there is only North & South America. I believe the divide is at the Colombian border, so the likes of Panama & Costa Rica are North America :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Central America gets mentioned as a region but it's not a continent, there is only North & South America. I believe the divide is at the Colombian border, so the likes of Panama & Costa Rica are North America :)

Cheers Jaggy,

Everyday is a school day - even in July

• Haha 1

On 30/06/2018 at 7:55 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

Statistically it is rare to get a first time winner away from home. It is also rare to get a win in another continent.

I think that would leave France Spain England and Russia.

and I don’t fancy any of them

I can now say it will be France

(maybe)

20 hours ago, sandy said:

It’s France now

Would probably agree, if Mbappe shines and Pogba produces his best. However, the longer the game goes, if Croatia are still in there, then I can see the pendulum swinging.  Croatia have a very strong mentality which may carry them through extra time and penalties, if necessary.

With Iniesta's retirement (at least from the international scene), Luka Modric is now the world's best "keep the ball moving and link up play" type midfielder.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Would probably agree, if Mbappe shines and Pogba produces his best. However, the longer the game goes, if Croatia are still in there, then I can see the pendulum swinging.  Croatia have a very strong mentality which may carry them through extra time and penalties, if necessary.

With Iniesta's retirement (at least from the international scene), Luka Modric is now the world'd best "keep the ball moving and link up play" type midfielder.

Wait 'till Banzo is fully fit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1