Hearts friendly

topcat

Both clubs re-surfacing so neither ground ready. None too sure why Central Park and not somewhere else (anywhere else?). Perhaps it's a psychological thing for both sets of players. Don't perform for us and you can easily end up plying your trade here.

Only benefit for us is it'll give us some game time on a narrow pitch in preparation for our trips to Alloa.

6 hours ago, topcat said:

Is there a particular reason this friendly is being played at the race track in Cowdenbeath?  Don,t see another topic for it. Is it because of ground laying at both home grounds maybe!

You could email the club about this, but I suspect that you would just get a stock answer.

6 hours ago, topcat said:

Is there a particular reason this friendly is being played at the race track in Cowdenbeath?  Don,t see another topic for it. Is it because of ground laying at both home grounds maybe!

Because you get a slap up feed from the Indian restaurant right next to the ground.

Cowdenbeath was Craig Levein's first club as both player and manager. Perhaps he wants to give them a bit of encouragement, after they narrowly avoided relegation to the Lowland League for the second season running.

Archie also has reason to remember Cowdenbeath fondly. As a new manager, he was heading for his first defeat when the home team led 2-1 in a midweek match with around 15 minutes to go. Then the fog thickened to the point where the match was abandoned. When it was eventually replayed, Thistle won comfortably, allowing Archie to maintain his unbeaten record as a manager in the Championship, which remains the case to this day.

59 minutes ago, Sivad said:

Cowdenbeath was Craig Levein's first club as both player and manager. Perhaps he wants to give them a bit of encouragement, after they narrowly avoided relegation to the Lowland League for the second season running.

Archie also has reason to remember Cowdenbeath fondly. As a new manager, he was heading for his first defeat when the home team led 2-1 in a midweek match with around 15 minutes to go. Then the fog thickened to the point where the match was abandoned. When it was eventually replayed, Thistle won comfortably, allowing Archie to maintain his unbeaten record as a manager in the Championship, which remains the case to this day.

I hope you haven’t just jinxed that !

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

Cheap option! 

Where would you play it?

I think both sides have made it pretty clear they wanted it on a grass park by their venue choice. I'm not sure, but I'm probably wrong, there is a more convenient grass pitch at an SPFL stadium available to play it on that isn't undergoing pitch renovation? The one that jumps out to me is Stirling but given all their friendlies are away from home it seems like they are doing pitch renovation this summer.

They could have closed doored it but then it would have meant that we'd have had no open door friendlies this year - not sure that would have gone down well?

On 04/07/2018 at 11:47 AM, topcat said:

Maybe none of our midfielders want to play out wide, so by playing this at Central Park we can tell them that they are all Central midfielders.

6 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Good game today and great to see our new signings in action. 

O'Ware and McGinty are the 2 big centre backs we've been crying out for.

What did you think of the trialist right back?

I was listening on Jagzone and he seemed to be quite involved without doing anything spectacular?

A lot of positives from today,

O’Ware and McGinty excellent no nonsense CB’s who will also be a threat at set pieces.

Slater looks good excellent on the ball and great delivery. Banzo excellent, forgot what he does for the team and lots of composure streets ahead of Edwards today.

Think Storer could become a cult hero good creative player as well as putting it about a bit, one crunching but fair tackle today had the ref telling him to calm down.

We definitely need some fire power though, Dools our only out and out striker.

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

What did you think of the trialist right back?

I was listening on Jagzone and he seemed to be quite involved without doing anything spectacular?

Fair assessment. he saw a lot of the ball and did okay. Definitely earned himself another run out.

Rather tired and emotional tonight from other commitments but as a seasoned friendly spectator a couple of observations from today. Firstly our two new big centrebacks saw off Lafferty with ease. Ok maybe that's just a height thing, but as I doubt the lads will come up against anyone taller/stronger than Kyle L that's gotta be a positive. No way of telling for now if the other thing I took from today's game will be for good or bad as it concerns Banzo. Quite simply he was our best player on show, maybe the best player on the park. If Stuart passes his fitness test, and is a Jags player past August, I'll be very encouraged. He's clearly a pre-season step ahead of the others and watching both Banzo and Ryan Edwards today got me thinking, what if.

Apart from Bannigan and the two  central defenders the only other player I thought really stood out positively was Slater. Altho' he plays in a different position I feel playing him alongside Spittal might be difficult. Get that sorted and we've got the basis of good balanced side.