Alan Gilzean

Jaggernaut

On 7/9/2018 at 7:47 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "football" or "general" forum, but anyway:

RIP

Never saw him in the flesh, but always thought of him as a kind of legend.

a wonderfully elegant player for dundee, spurs and scotland

Slightly off on a tangent. Conversation came up re the World Cup and Scotland's non appearances compared to England's regular attendance. I was saying during my lifetime there's only been three spells where I would've confidently backed Scotland to beat England (head talking and not just heart).

One of those spells was circa 1962-64.  Gilzean was a majestic player around that time. Good with both feet but also a fantastic header of the ball. This was a time when Scotland had at least two class players for every position, which explains Gilzean's relatively low number of caps. For instance Alan would be competing with the likes of Denis Law & Ian St John plus a good few other class players to earn a cap. 

• 4 weeks later...

My dad (now 82) has a lifetime membership of the Tottenham Supporters Club and still gets a fixture card sent to him every year. Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean were his 2 favourite players, so I grew up knowing quite a bit about Gilzean. Class act he was. Sadly Missed. RIP