How will we play

cyprusjag

Aiming to get promotion at the first attempt would suggest an attacking style of play but I’m not sure if Archie  can/will drop his safety first approach.Personally I could accept failure if we at least tried to attack in every game but would not be happy if we failed playing last seasons boring brand of football.Any thoughts on how he will/should approach this season?

I've only got yesterday to go by. Others may have taken in one or two games up at the Science Pk as well. But going on yesterday we played a familiar enough 4-2-3-1 and that is an attack based formation. Imo far more attack minded than playing two up and dropping back the midfield. Besides a trio behind the striker of Spittal, Storer & Erskine offer little in defence (Storer looks a deep attacker rather than a normal midfielder). So provided  any two from Slater, Banzo & McCarthy can prop up the midfield plus Christie & Penrice push up then I'd be hoping for an attacking team most weeks.

If and when necessary one substitution in midfield can turn the team into a more defensive unit. We might even be able to protect a lead. That's the theory anyway:)

Btw fully expecting the Stenny game to be the usual difficult start to the season. Saw them play last season and they looked just the sort of side that would give us a tough time on their home plastic. Couple that with our squad not looking quite ready for the fray and we've got a hard game on our hands. But that's really no surprise.    

The football that was played by the promotion-winning team last time around was some of the best I've ever seen from a Jags team, probably the best since the 70-71 promotion-winning team! 

Attack and fail at least gives the punters more for their money than "miserly ultra-cautiousness with one man up front and then fail". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

4-2-3-1 and that is an attack based formation. Imo far more attack minded than playing two up and dropping back the midfield.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The football that was played by the promotion-winning team last time around was some of the best I've ever seen from a Jags team, probably the best since the 70-71 promotion-winning team! 

Attack and fail at least gives the punters more for their money than "miserly ultra-cautiousness with one man up front and then fail". 

It probably happened but I can't immediately recall anytime during season 12/13 where we played with more than one man up front.

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It probably happened but I can't immediately recall anytime during season 12/13 where we played with more than one man up front.

To be more accurate: in that season we had players getting into attacking positions fast from several parts of the pitch and scoring for fun, including full-backs. That just didn't happen last season, as the number of goals scored in the two seasons indicates.

The 3 attacking midfielder setup we favour can be great, but obviously does rely on these 3 to be linking up well together with the striker.  The Doolan/Erskine/Lawless combination was a joy to watch at times.  More of that, please.

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The 2-1 last minute victory over Airdrie so us huff and puff with Doolan and Craig up front I’m sure. Not that many more examples come to mind.

We still have 4 stalwarts from that side, all attack minded players.

Its up to the new boys to get into the box and help Dools in bulging the onion bag.

Perhaps Lawless could have done the business again, we’ll never know.

Overall I don’t think we are as strong as that great time but I agree, goals are a necessity and playoffs the target.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We weren’t expecting to do so well that season. But we did have a really good preseason winning the ARR Craib trophy and getting off to a great start in the league beating one of favourites for that year, Falkirk 

I can mind a lot of pre season optimism that year perhaps stemming from the 5=0 game down at Palmerston in the Spring. Everything clicked that day. So maybe not many thought we'd win the league but I believe there was considerable belief we'd have a good season. What struck me was the  high fitness levels during that ARR Craib Cup. Others can point out we've had good pre seasons followed by a poor league campaign on a few occasions. While true I'd put fitness over results anytime. Just so happened the results yon summer were good as well.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Under MacNamara (and first season with Archie I think) we went down to some army camp and did extra hard training we've not done since I think.  The fitness of our players was incredible these seasons and superior to most teams we played - including some in the SPL.  I may be wrong but I've had the feeling that our fitness dropped off from that super-fit level to becoming average for the league we were in.  All professional footballers even ones who do just average training are miles fitter than the likes of me of course (and I am fairly fit despite my age), it's just that it seemed to me our team used to be exceptionally fit even by normal professional levels - which was necessary for the style of football we played then.

I think we’ll probably switch between a 352 and 4231. It depends whether we keep either Barton or Keown. Ideally we need another left and right back that can play wingback aswell. The team that won us the league last time was outstanding and we’ll be nowhere as good as that and I doubt any other team will be for a long time. Alot of time in this divison you need a forward or two that can sniff out goals, the likes of Dobbie, Clark, Reilly, Baird in the past!) I know we have Dools who will get double figures but we need some serious backup, Storer might be that guy but it looks as though he might be in midfield?