Stenny Away

Norgethistle

On holiday so will miss first 3 games.

I have some concerns about the thinness of the squad especially in the striking department and the lack of clarity over the 'big wages three'. If they are under contract to us they should be getting played until they move on.

Despite all that and the fact it is a new team still to geI I would expect a win today albeit hard fought.

Mon thistle!....let's send a message!!

Great moves and finishes for both goals. Almost scored a third through Doolan a few minutes later (good save by Smith), but have since lacked a bit of inspiration. 

Spittal and Penrice showing up well.

McGinty certainly a no nonsense hoof it in the air defender!

Storer looks a player and has a locker of tricks and skills. Likes to lie deep. Will he be able to deliver effectively against the stronger teams?

Not quite happening yet for Doolan and Erskine but that will come.

16 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Sneddon looked good after coming on, very composed.  Few seagulls may have to alter their flight paths with McGinty’s clearances.  Penrice some nice stuff.  End of day job done, debuts given and clean sheet.

Height & Distance was what I was always taught, certainly better than the mishit, right to the attacker attempted clearances we saw last season.

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Height & Distance was what I was always taught, certainly better than the mishit, right to the attacker attempted clearances we saw last season.

Very true, wasn’t meant as a criticism just an observation.  Thought both centre halfs today were a massive upgrade on last season.

Bit of a ramble below...

Great start to the game. Storer looking to get on the ball and pinging a lot of passes. Fell out the game second half as Stenny presses us more, though always looked for the ball. Should be good for us this year. Shea Gordon took his goals really well, and usually busy. Thought we looked pretty decent early and a couple of half chances could have added to the score. Slater looked ok on the Ball. Erskine some nice touches. Dools a bit off the pace I thought and off-side too often in the second half. O’Ware looks a player, McGinty defended well, but too often went for the long hit and hope ball from defence. I don’t mean clearances, I mean “passes”. Elliott a bit hesitant for me. Spittal hot and cold. Penrice should be solid for us. Storey. Jeez. I was really pleased when he signed last year, but I think the boy has no confidence. Should be ripping it up at this level, and looked like he didn’t know how to make a difference. Stuck to left touchline when he came on, when I think he could have played more central and in the box when the ball was down the right. I can’t see anyone taking him on this form. Snedson did well, but kick outs need work. Ain’t a giant. All in all a decent start, but we’ll meet tougher opponents.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Good day for those who play in red and yellow. 

Especially as they played in blue today. Was sitting in the stand and surprise d to hear a Stenny fan say “That is no Thistles usually strip is it” as he looked towards a terracing cover in supporters wearing red and yellow. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Odd Fellows said:

Especially as they played in blue today. Was sitting in the stand and surprise d to hear a Stenny fan say “That is no Thistles usually strip is it” as he looked towards a terracing cover in supporters wearing red and yellow. 

at least he said Thistle and not Partick!!!

My general feeling was that the new guys were decent, the others a bit out of touch especially Doolan and Elliot. 

The two keepers were solid enough both having to make saves. Lennox punches clear more. I liked Sneddon as he caught a couple of crosses under pressure. 

Storer seemed to get deeper and deeper as the game went on. O’Ware and McGinty didn’t appear to be troubled. McGinty for me was a bit more dominant. Gordon took his goals well, but I didn’t notice him otherwise. Slater always seemed to be available for a pass. We either eased off after the two goals or Stenny susses how we played.

4 hours ago, Jaggy Bunnet said:

Bit of a ramble below...

Great start to the game. Storer looking to get on the ball and pinging a lot of passes. Fell out the game second half as Stenny presses us more, though always looked for the ball. Should be good for us this year. Shea Gordon took his goals really well, and usually busy. Thought we looked pretty decent early and a couple of half chances could have added to the score. Slater looked ok on the Ball. Erskine some nice touches. Dools a bit off the pace I thought and off-side too often in the second half. O’Ware looks a player, McGinty defended well, but too often went for the long hit and hope ball from defence. I don’t mean clearances, I mean “passes”. Elliott a bit hesitant for me. Spittal hot and cold. Penrice should be solid for us. Storey. Jeez. I was really pleased when he signed last year, but I think the boy has no confidence. Should be ripping it up at this level, and looked like he didn’t know how to make a difference. Stuck to left touchline when he came on, when I think he could have played more central and in the box when the ball was down the right. I can’t see anyone taking him on this form. Sneddon did well, but kick outs need work. Ain’t a giant. All in all a decent start, but we’ll meet tougher opponents.

Apologies for the selective quoting but in my mind Sneddon's distribution and particularly his overall footwork is about the best I've seen in recent years from a Jag's goalie. Didn't really see anything today to change my opinion.

Rest of your post is more or less as I saw it. Christie obviously needed a run out and Erskine improved when he was moved off the wide areas. Biggest let down for me was the over reliance on the "Gary Fraser" style passing. The combination of surface and wind didn't lend itself to that kinda game. Good tho' to see midfielders at least trying to be creative. With that in mind if Banzo was playing we'd probably have been more effective in ball retention. Understandable he wasn't risked on that surface and hopefully we'll see him play a key part in midweek.  

eta I didn't see the comment re Bannigan's knee.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

11 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Did Lennox get injured?

Yep. Weirdly was rubbing behind his knee before taking a goal kick. Took the kick anyway, then collapsed. Soldiered on, but didn’t appear for second half.

Archie said before the game that Cammy Bell should be ok for Tuesday.

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Apologies for the selective quoting but in my mind Sneddon's distribution and particularly his overall footwork is about the best I've seen in recent years from a Jag's goalie. Didn't really see anything today to change my opinion.

Fair enough.