Davie McParland

elevenone

Although Davie McParland played in all the games my father took me to at Firhill back in the 60's, I was too young then to appreciate how good a player he was, I do remember how highly he was thought off  both for his ability but also the manner he conducted himself and not only by Thistle fans.  587 Games and 110 Goals speaks for itself.

I has just started to go to games regularly on my own when he took over as Manager in 1970 - he transformed a team which had just been relegated into an exciting side of home-grown youngsters which surged to promotion...and then the best time ever to be a Thistle fan  within the space of a few months in 1971 the John Gibson inspired win against Rangers, the astonishing 8-3 game against Motherwell,  the dramatic 5-1 Quarter-final victory against St Johnstone and of course that glorious day at Hampden , winning a trophy in the most sensational game in Scottish Football History.

I don't really get greatly affected by the death of people I have never met but I was genuinely sad to read of Davie McParland's passing. He gave me my best ever memories as a Thistle Supporter. He is the Partick Thistle Legend...but sadly I always had the feeling that he was never fully recognised by the Club. Let's hope that the new Training Ground is a fitting legacy for him.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Very sad to hear this news. Davie is a true club legend at least three three times over.

As a player he turned in consistently high performances in a ridiculously varied number of positions.

As a captain he was inspirational, demanding, a exemplary character both on and off the park.

As a manager & coach , well we all know his greatest achievement but don't forget his man-management of a handful of youngsters leading up to that famous event.  So highly regarded none other than Jock Stein was quick to appoint Davie as his assistant manager.

With above in mind simply calling Davie McParland a legend is hardly sufficient. I just don't know the word to use that reflects his standing in the history of PTFC

• Like 4

Reading the comments with tears in my eyes. An absolute Thistle icon .Although capped for the Scottish League never received a full Scotland cap which I could never understand when I was young until I realised  He didn’t play in green,he didn’t play in blue. As LIB said he played a ridiculous number of positions.I saw him play full back,centre half, most if not all forward positions & even in goal when the keeper had to be taken off.

Condolences to his family.

First and foremost a very sad day for his family and those close to him and this has been reflected above. He was, and I suspect will always be, the finest manager the club has ever had and he was, above all else, a man who conducted himself with great dignity at all times during his association with the club. RIP