Davie McParland

elevenone

This is the saddest Thistle-related event I've ever known. I feel truly privileged to have seen him play so many times and then watch him turn out to be an inspirational coach and manager, respected by just about everybody in Scottish football. And a gentleman.

Condolences to Davie's family and closest friends, and to all his friends and admirers, Thistle people or otherwise.

• Like 1

A sad loss to those of us of a certain vintage who grew up watching him.  There is some consolation for us who advocated some permanent recognition such as the North stand being named after him that he knew his name will live on in McParland Park.  Even now he’ll be renewing his left wing partnership with Neilly Duffy.

Condolences to his family.  RIP.

A couple of years too young to have seen him play or manage.

Thoughts & condolences to the family.

Think the only times I would've seen/met him would have been in his pub, McParland's, in Lennoxtown. Now the Drookit Dug.

I was probably underage, have asked some mates still local as to from when to when he owned it. Some details here, although they've spelt his name with an extra h!

the day before The Game (aka the '71 league cup final), davie mcp and ally macleod took lunch in the sadly long-gone glasgow press club in west regent street.  using every implement on the table - salt, pepper, ketchup/brown sauce bottles, vinegar, tumblers, etc., - davie mcp explained the tactics that would rip apart jock's stein's mighty celtic the following afternoon. i can recall maggie the 60-something waitress enquiring: 'So you think you'll win then?' 'Pet, we won't just win,' replied davie mcp with a broad grin. 'We're going to shock the world of football...' 

and they did just that....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Very sad to hear of the legend’s death.

i was watching a league cup tie at Berwick and there he was standing next to me at the barrier. A lovely gentleman who talked me through the game!

The superb photo of him in the Herald was incredibly poignant.  The dark hair, the sixties look and that magnificent strip. All older fans will remember him this way.

He built the first Thistle team I saw and fell in love with and although I only spoke to him in passing at the odd Thistle game he was always a complete gent. A sad loss for all connected with Thistle and especially his family. I hope they get some degree of comfort reading the stories and  memories that have been shared here R.I.P. Mr McParland

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, elevenone said:

A minutes applause at todays match for Davie whose family will be in attendance.  He is also on cover of programme with features inside.  The 1971 cup winning team will be on park for the applause.  Hopefully a memorable day for all involved at Firhill.

Great to see both sets of fans joining in the applause.Well deserved for a Thistle legend.

On 15/07/2018 at 5:13 PM, Blackpool Jags said:

To me, Mr McParland has been Thistle's greatest servant. I have respected and admired him more than anybody connected with our great football club.

I am truly upset to hear of his passing. I will never forget everything he has done for us.

RIP David. Forever Thistle. 

This