Where Do You Think We'll Finish?

I'll boldly kick off with 4th place. Don't think the squad is stong or deep enough, although may alter this opinion slightly nearer end of August. (Based on previous 5 seasons I severely doubt it though), as I have 0 confidence in Archie's network of contacts or agent friends. Sadly predicted our demise very early on last season, although I thought 12th rather than 11th. Hoping for 4th this year but grimly, I actually think 6th or 7th with Archie and Scott shuffling out quietly some time mid March. I get that the happy clappers think i have a grim depressing (why do i support Thistle) view on football, but until i see a positive groundswell, I'll not be wasting my time happy clapping. Only slight hope is that we form a squad, like the last championship bunch who were under rated, unfancied and defy all the odds. Here's hoping. 

9 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

I'll boldly kick off with 4th place. Don't think the squad is stong or deep enough, although may alter this opinion slightly nearer end of August. (Based on previous 5 seasons I severely doubt it though), as I have 0 confidence in Archie's network of contacts or agent friends. Sadly predicted our demise very early on last season, although I thought 12th rather than 11th. Hoping for 4th this year but grimly, I actually think 6th or 7th with Archie and Scott shuffling out quietly some time mid March. I get that the happy clappers think i have a grim depressing (why do i support Thistle) view on football, but until i see a positive groundswell, I'll not be wasting my time happy clapping. Only slight hope is that we form a squad, like the last championship bunch who were under rated, unfancied and defy all the odds. Here's hoping. 

You predicted our demise every season I can remember! 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

You predicted our demise every season I can remember! 

Yeah he predicted relegation half way through the top 6 season and then stopped posting when we started picking up points.  Didn’t have the balls to give credit to the manager he was slating when he was proved wrong. 

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 1

Second would be a good result.

Now the need to avoid 11th/12th in the SPL has gone away, I think Archie will take the creative shackles off; it should be much more like our previous season in the ‘Championship’.

Firhill for Thrills again

I can't see Ross County not winning the league. They've chucked a load of cash at it (surprise surprise!), and have a really strong squad for this level.

At this point, anywhere between 2nd and something like 7th/8th wouldn't surprise me. Really hard to predict much when most teams still have quite a few holes to fill, including us. Thankfully we still have time to add to the squad, and surely new signings will be on the horizon now we've cleared Barton's wage from the budget.

Still think we have a decent chance to win this league. Proved to be tough going down but I don't see any team that are outstanding at this point. 
A lot will depend on getting the two remaining transfer listed player off and getting in the right players that we need. 
We need around 6 or 7 players in still but will we get them? 

will wait until I see what squad we have at the end of the window and how they have gelled, way too early to judge on one friendly and one cup game against a lower league team. Also want to see how other teams in our league settle into the league campaign. Wouldn't judge anything on the league cup group games even with Morton and Ayr in the group

Edited by Wayfarer

4 hours ago, ironfist said:

It’s not necessarily the strongest squad that wins the league. Team spirit, desire and energy go a long way. Still too early to tell but think the league is open and will be disappointed if we are not challenging. 

This too ^

I think it is pretty hard to predict where we will finish, given we still have six weeks of possible transfer activity to go. We are obviously light on numbers and it will depend if we can get the quality needed in or not. 

That, and whether Bannigan can make it back or not.

22 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Even you think you are a desperate pale imitation of a fan. Never mind I doubt you really care if we win, draw or lose let alone challenge for promotion.

7 hours ago, ironfist said:

It’s not necessarily the strongest squad that wins the league. Team spirit, desire and energy go a long way. Still too early to tell but think the league is open and will be disappointed if we are not challenging. 

Team spirit, desire and energy only works if you have enough of a squad to cover for injuries, suspensions and to keep competition for places. Currently our depth or lack of it is my greatest worry

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Team spirit, desire and energy only works if you have enough of a squad to cover for injuries, suspensions and to keep competition for places. Currently our depth or lack of it is my greatest worry

I was thinking yesterday that we seem to have a few midfielders now, but well short of defensive and striker cover. Maybe the release of Barton will mean some activity soon?

On 7/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, Alan Murray said:

We need around 6 or 7 players in still but will we get them? 

Agree, tho' could possibly shave that a little by having a few players that can play in a different positions. Whatever, with anything between a quarter and a third of the squad still to come in, any predictions just now are kinda futile. I will say tho' making so many changes to the squad is far from ideal. Necessary of course but it will be a test of management skills to get the team to gel early enough to be serious contenders.