Where Do You Think We'll Finish?

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree, tho' could possibly shave that a little by having a few players that can play in a different positions. Whatever, with anything between a quarter and a third of the squad still to come in, any predictions just now are kinda futile. I will say tho' making so many changes to the squad is far from ideal. Necessary of course but it will be a test of management skills to get the team to gel early enough to be serious contenders.

Please no center backs who can 'play' full-back. Have we ever had one who was not awful! lol 

18 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Please no center backs who can 'play' full-back. Have we ever had one who was not awful! lol 

Not any who would've been much use playing as an attacking full back admittedly. Aaron Muirhead wasn't bad at this level but he was a full back when signed.

Thinking more of holding mids that can play centreback (we've just got rid of one) and centre mids that can play wide or vice versa. Btw apart from the wage thing both Keown and to a lesser extent Storey offer little in versatility. If Keown could also play as a defensive midfielder and Storey could play down the wing effectively plus be decent enough thru the middle then their wages might be considerably less of an issue. 

Clearly we need a striker. This time round I think of Doolan in the Steven Craig role ie the old head in attack. We need a goalscorer who'll start most weeks. Someone to do what Dools did in 12/13

• 2 weeks later...

Revised prediction. 6th at best and flirt with relegation most of the season. Don't worry though folks. Archie will get a new contract to get us out of League 1 and we'll start another season with Doolan and no other striking options. I'm going to Somerset next week but I think it'll be my 1st and last game this year. Wish people supporting and behind the scenes at Firhill would open their eyes. Almost starting to think those behind the scenes are not backing Archie this season as they should be. Maybe they're  hoping he'll do as badly as they hope and he falls on his sword. If they are, then wtf is he doing. The squad he has assembled/assembling is just not good enough to win this league. That should be our only target this year. I'm forever amazed that he doesn't eventually luck out and land a decent striker even by chance. Wake me up next May please.

17 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Revised prediction. 6th at best and flirt with relegation most of the season. Don't worry though folks. Archie will get a new contract to get us out of League 1 and we'll start another season with Doolan and no other striking options. I'm going to Somerset next week but I think it'll be my 1st and last game this year. Wish people supporting and behind the scenes at Firhill would open their eyes. Almost starting to think those behind the scenes are not backing Archie this season as they should be. Maybe they're  hoping he'll do as badly as they hope and he falls on his sword. If they are, then wtf is he doing. The squad he has assembled/assembling is just not good enough to win this league. That should be our only target this year. I'm forever amazed that he doesn't eventually luck out and land a decent striker even by chance. Wake me up next May please.

So if Thistle win next week, it will be your last Game?

On 7/15/2018 at 12:55 AM, Norgethistle said:

With the current depth of squad I’d say 4th tops, but 6 weeks left to get more depth and quality in. 

Ill reserve my judgement till end of August when ours and our rivals have finished their shopping

2 weeks since my prediction, and with performances, tactics, fitness levels, and squad (Quality & Depth) I reckon 6th at a push 

18 minutes ago, Gingerjag said:

Bottom half easily. We generallly struggle after relegation from the Prem like in 96 and 04. 

This season just has a feeling of inevitability about it. 

When we got relegated in 96 and 04 we kept the management team that got us relegated. So what did we do this time?

Whats the definition of madness again?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, laukat said:

When we got relegated in 96 and 04 we kept the management team that got us relegated. So what did we do this time?

Whats the definition of madness again?

Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

1 hour ago, avie-man said:

The only team we are definitely better than going into the season is Alloa. 

Would agree with that, unfortunately.

I think we'll be alright, in terms of surviving. There's enough quality in the squad to see us through, and if things do really fall apart with Archie we'll punt him and bring in a Jim Duffy type screamer who will see us to safety.

Not saying I want Duffy or anyone like that, but can see him being the option if we do have to punt Archibald.

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Oh yes, much the same as Kris Doolan.

Archie must of rated him good enough for the premiership but not good enough for the championship.

Still in the mad cup, topsy turvy world of Archie and his cult followers, who willingly lap up his monotonous brand of insipid "football", it all makes perfect sense.

13 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

True; Archie inherited a great team and in his first season won nearly every game with Stevie Lawless playing in it.

Also true; the team Archie "built" over a five year period was dire, an absolute shambles, a pale shadow of the one he took over.

FOwZ77O.gif.d45be42c87f495ab1ae52ba6d603b001.gif

• Thanks 1