Morton on Tuesday Evening

Fawlty Towers

Storer's goal is possibly the best strike I've seen at Firhill definitely worth seeing again. Looked like goal of the season.

Storer did have one other absolutely stunning piece of control but thereafter wasn't really in the game. He looks like the sort of player who on his day could be worth the admission money alone.

Back 4 and goalkeeper look solid. Up front we need another striker to bring some variation and provide a rest for Doolan

However we have a big gaping hole in our midfield where we desperately need a central midfielder with experience who can tell tell people what to do and lead. Slater looks capable of making the play and Gordon and McCarthy look capable of getting up to support the attack but we have no one capable of getting a grip of the middle of the park.

Spittal was poor and I'm not convinced he's good enough. Storey frightened the Morton defence with his pace and running when he came on but for some reason stopped doing it. He need to either get his head together or move on. Suspect we will need at least one other wide player.

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

To commemorate the sad passing of former manager, hall of fame inductee and Thistle legend, David McParland, there will be a minute’s applause held ahead of kick-off at tonight’s Betfred Cup game against Greenock Morton.

Well observed by everybody including Morton fans.

Positives:

we won

storers goal was a beauty

Defence looked solid

we played some decent stuff in first half

Miles storey looked decent in patches on the left side

Must do betters:

in general fitness seemed behind morton

In particular storer looks no where near fit

seriously lacking drive in midfield

we disappeared in the second half

what on earth has happened to banzo??

We looked decent first half but that 2nd half was very worrying for me. We looked unfit.

that squad needs around another 5 players one a which being a commanding central midfielder. We looked like we could easily get overrun in there.

please please please from now until next week all Elliot should be doing is practicing crossing. Also think we need to get Penrice on corners

Edited by p12tfc

A tale of two halves really. 

I'd love to hear what Archie says to his players at half-time. Whether it is last season, Stenhousemuir on Saturday, or Morton tonight, he just can't seem to get it through his skull that sitting back and "trying" to absorb pressure is exactly why we are playing Championship football this season. 

Positives: Some good stuff in the first half, and moved it around pretty well. Penrice and Elliot looked good in the wide areas, although we are lacking reinforcements. Storer looks okay, and a bit of a fighter. His goal is a contender for goal of the season. Storey also looked bright. 

Negatives: completely vanished-second half again. The shots and possession stats published by the BBC are frightening. Lumping high balls up to Doolan won't work. Erskine seemed off the pace, and I didn't even realise that Slater was playing (completely invisible). McGinty also doesn't fill me with confidence. 

As if we didn't know already, there is still A LOT of work to do. Archie and the Board need to get the finger out and add quite a few more. Preferably before the Rovers game next week so we can bed them in before the season starts. Also really need to rework our system, as punting balls in the general vicinity of Doolan isn't going to cut it. 

• Sad 1

From where I was watching, our defence looked very porous and incapable of clearing their lines or even heading clear other than to an opponent. Better strikers would have had more shots on target and provided more of a threat. I fear for them against the likes of Queen of the South and Ayr United.

33 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Typical game of 2 halves.We were good in the first half  but didn't turn up for the second.But we now have 6 points.So do we just need one more win to qualify?

Might need more than that depending how other groups finish. I think only the best 4 runners-up go through. I suspect we'll need to beat Albion Rovers and at least draw with Ayr in a probable decider

A good first half with an outstanding strike and a well worked second. 2 goals up at half time and cruising.

But then an all too familiar second half with shades of last season - not a problem at this stage of the season but definitely work to be done on and off the pitch.

But in the cup, it's important just to get the win. And we did that. So job done.

Christie looked excellent until he had to deliver. He won’t be any good to the team until he can find a man. This is a pity as his athleticism and attitude are second to none.

Every right wing move broke down because Christie could not cross or pass. Come on big man, with some hard practice you could be a terrific RB or RWB.

I don’t have much to add except that McGinty looks like one of those guys who loves being a defender. Loved it.

i noticed how many defensive clearances landed hard in the JH stand- something that didn’t seem to happen last season- no messing about is good.

still work to be done in many areas but a good start 

• Like 1

I wasn’t that impressed with Bell. There were 3 or 4 shots that he was beaten by that went just past the post.

Storer didn’t look that interested for the most part. But it also looked to me that the other Jags players weren’t passing to him ?

Slater seemed to get caught or give the ball away a lot, whereas Gordon was again invisible. McCarthy is not fit!

I am afraid that Doolan and Erskine have lost their touch.

It is early days, though, and if the team gels we could be decent.

That's two games where we have gone 2-0 up and then taken the foot right off the gas. Last night we nearly paid the penalty for that. The 2nd half  was so reminiscent of countless performances last season where we simply did not turn up after the break. I fully accept that we are short of numbers at the moment and Archie is therefore restricted in his options from the bench to change things but that doesn't explain why there appears to be attitude problem in that at 2-0 up the days work is done, at 4-0 I could almost accept that. A game lasts 90 minutes, if the players don't get that into their heads quickly we could be in for another long, stressful, season!

Not reading too much into our lack of match fitness.  There were a lot of misunderstandings, with players going long when a short pass was played and vice versa.  These are hopefully the bits that will come with training and games together.  

Thought Gordon was anonymous until the second half.  Then I only noticed him because he fell so deep he was behind the centre backs.  Not useful.  No idea why McCarthy was deployed so high up the pitch when brought on.  

Worth the admission money for that first goal alone.  

1 hour ago, Camallain said:

That's two games where we have gone 2-0 up and then taken the foot right off the gas. Last night we nearly paid the penalty for that. The 2nd half  was so reminiscent of countless performances last season where we simply did not turn up after the break. I fully accept that we are short of numbers at the moment and Archie is therefore restricted in his options from the bench to change things but that doesn't explain why there appears to be attitude problem in that at 2-0 up the days work is done, at 4-0 I could almost accept that. A game lasts 90 minutes, if the players don't get that into their heads quickly we could be in for another long, stressful, season!

Completely agree with this. Last year you could see that in the first half the opposition manager worked out how we played and what he had to do tactically at half time to get the better of us. Archie makes the assumption that the opposition manager won't change or won't change so soon as tries to go with what he had.

Last night it was fairly obvious that Tidser was out of position and the obvious Morton switch was to move him into the midfield. We should have switched to 3 in midfield at the same time to match up to them by taking Storer off and putting McCarthy on. By the time he did that he had already given Morton momentum and when McCarthy came on the rest of the midfield weren't sure where to go which would have been better addressed by doing the sub at half time and explaining to the others how they should form up.

24 minutes ago, laukat said:

Completely agree with this. Last year you could see that in the first half the opposition manager worked out how we played and what he had to do tactically at half time to get the better of us. Archie makes the assumption that the opposition manager won't change or won't change so soon as tries to go with what he had.

Last night it was fairly obvious that Tidser was out of position and the obvious Morton switch was to move him into the midfield. We should have switched to 3 in midfield at the same time to match up to them by taking Storer off and putting McCarthy on. By the time he did that he had already given Morton momentum and when McCarthy came on the rest of the midfield weren't sure where to go which would have been better addressed by doing the sub at half time and explaining to the others how they should form up.

Archie said this in his interview on Jagzone, but then again how many times last season did he say the same thing - '(insert opponent) changed their shape at half time and we didn't deal with it'. Surely it's his job to deal with it!!!!

Actually thought it was a good game last night!  great to see an absence of so much play acting/cheating prevalent in the top division.

Not too worried about the shortcomings of the side - first time they've played together, and also first time half of them have played on the hallowed turf!

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by JAGSMAN1968
spelling!