Stats Watch 2018-19

:detective:

19.01.2019 Stranraer [h] W4-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
FITZY ROCKIN' THE STATS

• Gary Caldwell fields the youngest starting line-up of his reign (24y, 3m, 23d). Thistle's two youngest sides of 2018-19 have registered two cup wins over Stranraer by nine goals to one on aggregate.
  • 17-year-old Aidan Fitzpatrick scores his third goal for Thistle vs. Stranraer already; only Frank Coulston (5) has netted more often for the Jags against the Blues.
  • Aidan has registered a goal or an assist every 107 minutes for Thistle in 2018-19, a return ratio which is second only to Joe Cardle (60 mins) and streets ahead of his nearest team-mates, Andréa M'Buyi-Mutombo (202 mins), Blair Spittal (210 mins) and Chris Erskine (215 mins).
  • Joe Cardle scores his first goal for Thistle.
  • Steven Saunders scores his first goal for Thistle.
  • Blair Spittal, player of the month for December, nets his 7th competitive goal of the season, extending his lead at the top of our scoring charts to 3.
  • Thistle remain unbeaten in all 9 of their Cup matches versus Stranraer, a run which stretches from 1938 to date.

ongoing sequences:

• 10 competitive away games without a win, 25th Aug 2018 to date. (Longest run since: 10 games; 19th Aug 2017 to 27th Dec 2017. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 28th Aug 1909.)
  • 10 second-tier away games without a win to start off this season, 4th Aug 2018 to date. (Longest run since the club-record: 12 games; 11th Aug 1984 to 12th Jan 1985.)
  • 11 second-tier away games without a win, 4th May 2013 to date. (Longest run since: 14 games; 11th Sep 2004 to 9th Apr 2005. Club-record: 17 games; 16th Sep 1989 to 25th Aug 1990.)
  • 39 consecutive competitive appearances for Blair Spittal, 31st Mar 2018 to date, a new personal best for the player. (Longest run since: Adam Barton - 54 games; 28th Dec 2016 to 3rd Feb 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 70 games since back-to-back League wins, 11th Mar 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 71 games; 16th Apr 2013 to 14th Mar 2015. Club-record: 77 games; 2nd Nov 1912 to 5th Dec 1914.)

Great to see the positive message in those stats TJR.

The ongoing sequences section maybe not so.

Anyway, for what it's worth, on Saturday I witnessed my first Jags victory since Niall Keown dumped Hamilton in late December 2017. Cannot believe that I attended 9 games in 2018 without even a draw!!

Edited by Barney Rubble

16 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Great to see the positive message in those stats TJR.

The ongoing sequences section maybe not so.

Anyway, for what it's worth, on Saturday I witnessed my first Jags victory since Niall Keown dumped Hamilton in late December 2017. Cannot believe that I attended 9 games in 2018 without even a draw!!

:shocked: That explains a lot Barney

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, The Jukebox Rebel said:

:detective:

19.01.2019 Stranraer [h] W4-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
FITZY ROCKIN' THE STATS

• Gary Caldwell fields the youngest starting line-up of his reign (24y, 3m, 23d). Thistle's two youngest sides of 2018-19 have registered two cup wins over Stranraer by nine goals to one on aggregate.
  • 17-year-old Aidan Fitzpatrick scores his third goal for Thistle vs. Stranraer already; only Frank Coulston (5) has netted more often for the Jags against the Blues.
  • Aidan has registered a goal or an assist every 107 minutes for Thistle in 2018-19, a return ratio which is second only to Joe Cardle (60 mins) and streets ahead of his nearest team-mates, Andréa M'Buyi-Mutombo (202 mins), Blair Spittal (210 mins) and Chris Erskine (215 mins).
  • Joe Cardle scores his first goal for Thistle.
  • Steven Saunders scores his first goal for Thistle.
  • Blair Spittal, player of the month for December, nets his 7th competitive goal of the season, extending his lead at the top of our scoring charts to 3.
  • Thistle remain unbeaten in all 9 of their Cup matches versus Stranraer, a run which stretches from 1938 to date.

ongoing sequences:

• 10 competitive away games without a win, 25th Aug 2018 to date. (Longest run since: 10 games; 19th Aug 2017 to 27th Dec 2017. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 28th Aug 1909.)
  • 10 second-tier away games without a win to start off this season, 4th Aug 2018 to date. (Longest run since the club-record: 12 games; 11th Aug 1984 to 12th Jan 1985.)
  • 11 second-tier away games without a win, 4th May 2013 to date. (Longest run since: 14 games; 11th Sep 2004 to 9th Apr 2005. Club-record: 17 games; 16th Sep 1989 to 25th Aug 1990.)
  • 39 consecutive competitive appearances for Blair Spittal, 31st Mar 2018 to date, a new personal best for the player. (Longest run since: Adam Barton - 54 games; 28th Dec 2016 to 3rd Feb 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 70 games since back-to-back League wins, 11th Mar 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 71 games; 16th Apr 2013 to 14th Mar 2015. Club-record: 77 games; 2nd Nov 1912 to 5th Dec 1914.)

I may have got this wrong - and it's an old man's memory but … didn't George Muir (left back) in the 1960's  have around 39 consecutive competitive games?

16 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I may have got this wrong - and it's an old man's memory but … didn't George Muir (left back) in the 1960's  have around 39 consecutive competitive games?

George did a fair bit better than that - his best run of 145 competitive games not-out covered three whole calendar years in 1965, 1966 and 1967! A bout of flu got him in the end and he had to sit out a 2-1 League defeat at home to Hibernian on Saturday, 13th January, 1968, which, incidentally, was the last game to feature the old North enclosure roof which was set to be hit with "the great storm" the following morning.

4 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

George did a fair bit better than that - his best run of 145 competitive games not-out covered three whole calendar years in 1965, 1966 and 1967! A bout of flu got him in the end and he had to sit out a 2-1 League defeat at home to Hibernian on Saturday, 13th January, 1968, which, incidentally, was the last game to feature the old North enclosure roof which was set to be hit with "the great storm" the following morning.

Did not know that the North end roof was a victim of the great storm of 1968...Remember the pie stall there it was just a riot    no que  Just who could shout the loudest...Very happy memories thanks T.J.R..

13 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Fascinating stuff, as always.

Although sections of the roof disappeared in the hurricane, didn't what was left of it remain in place until the following season? I seem to remember choosing carefully to make sure that I was in fact under cover and not just under a huge gap in the roof during some matches when it was raining..... But my memory is admittedly also full of holes.

That's my recollection as well.  I think the whole thing was left to "self-demolish" for a while before finally being removed (exposing the back wall of the ground.  I don't recall any barriers preventing anyone going under it.  No barriers, high-viz vests, hard hats, prohibition notices or H&S  officials.  Changed days.

2 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Ah, I don't doubt you're right on that one lads, the storm damage being the beginning of the end for the roof. Will put the full removal query on the to-do list.

Slightly related, do you know when the south terracing was demolished?

From a games perspective, the South terracing was last seen intact at the Peterhead play-off game in May, 2006. A pre-season friendly at home to Morton in July 2006 was the first game of the Bing, and the players were duly inspired to serve up a 0-0 draw.

The premature demolition was an act of amazing ineptitude from the BoD (in my opinion).

10 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

From a games perspective, the South terracing was last seen intact at the Peterhead play-off game in May, 2006. A pre-season friendly at home to Morton in July 2006 was the first game of the Bing, and the players were duly inspired to serve up a 0-0 draw.

The premature demolition was an act of amazing ineptitude from the BoD (in my opinion).

Such a shame to see the South Terracing go. 

Remember one year we had a line of Xmas trees at that end. Was that after the bing came into being!

1 hour ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Thanks. When was it demolished?

The storm of 1968 was Sunday night into Monday if I remember correctly. It sticks in my memory because a good pal was killed in a car crash on Thursday 18th January that year and his last Jags match was the 2-2 draw at home to Motherwell in December (?)

He had graduated from Strathclyde in 1967 but , poor soul, didn't get much of a working career before he was taken. Sad memories of all those years ago.

1 hour ago, jagfaelivi said:

The storm of 1968 was Sunday night into Monday if I remember correctly. It sticks in my memory because a good pal was killed in a car crash on Thursday 18th January that year and his last Jags match was the 2-2 draw at home to Motherwell in December (?)

He had graduated from Strathclyde in 1967 but , poor soul, didn't get much of a working career before he was taken. Sad memories of all those years ago.

Family,friends are taken from us in this life,but they live on in the memories of those that love them. Thanks for sharing this with us jagfaelivi. Puts football in perspective.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, Auld Jag said:

Family,friends are taken from us in this life,but they live on in the memories of those that love them. Thanks for sharing this with us jagfaelivi. Puts football in perspective.

For people who have experienced the loss of someone close I would recommend a look at Russell Howards interview with Rob Delaney (Catastrophe) on dealing with the death of his two year old son. It is both amazingly human, brave and moving. Can be googled and found on Youtube.

• Thanks 1