Stats Watch 2018-19

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

TJR, your hard work never ever ceases to amaze.

Dick Campbell actually oversaw a Thistle record run that is positive?

That run contained some memorable victories and fantastic fightbacks. I think that it would have included the following culminating in promotion at Peterhead. There must have been a game or two at the beginning of the next season but I must confess that I have forgotten these totally.

Stirling Albion 1 Thistle 2.  This was a vitally important scrap that enabled us to stagger to the end of the main league season in 4th place. Stirling were 5th and could have overhauled us. We fell behind early and one of our goalscorers was Jags legend Darren Brady.

Dumbarton 2 Thistle 3. Last game of the league season by which time we were safe in 4th place. We were 2-0 down, but momentum was restored and spirits lifted as another Jags legend  Stephen McConalogue took advantage of a defensive error to roll the winner home from a tight angle.

Stranraer 1 Thistle 3. First play off match against the team from the higher league. We were unfortunate to be losing at half time, but the Bull and Mark Roberts turned it round in a high quality second half performance.

Peterhead 1 Thistle 2. Unforgettable drama and ultimate delight. Looked down and out as early on we fell a goal behind on the day and two down on aggregate. Roberts kept us in it, but we never really looked like scoring again until Billy Gibson's free kick took at least 3 deflections on its way to the back of the net. Still has to rank as the greatest single low to high transformational moment of my Thistle supporting history .

So to Dick Campbell, Chapeau, or should that be Bunnet?

• Like 1

Not really a question for a statistician, but maybe one for a statto?

By my reckoning we have two current members of the playing squad and one member of the coaching staff whose official squad nicknames end in "O": Steven Ando Anderson, Stuart Banzo Bannigan, and Brian Kerrso Kerr. We have also had a player this season whose real name ended in "O": Andrea Mutombo.  You could maybe stretch this with Erskinho, but Chris' squad (or squid) nickname was Squiddy. Is 4 terminal Os in one season as many as we have ever had in our history?

Looking back, I can think of only one real name Gabriel Piccolo, one squad nickname John Robbo Robertson, and one nickname Chico shared by the legendary player Chic Charnley and an equally legendary kitman. Any additions? I am not allowing Jim Melrose as a plural form of Melro.

Edited by partickthedog
I thought that Kerrso was a consonantal Y

57 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Not really a question for a statistician, but maybe one for a statto?

By my reckoning we have two current members of the playing squad and one member of the coaching staff whose official squad nicknames end in "O": Steven Ando Anderson, Stuart Banzo Bannigan, and Bryan Kerrso Kerr. We have also had a player this season whose real name ended in "O": Andrea Mutombo.  You could maybe stretch this with Erskinho, but Chris' squad (or squid) nickname was Squiddy. Is 4 terminal Os in one season as many as we have ever had in our history?

Looking back, I can think of only one real name Gabriel Piccolo, one squad nickname John Robbo Robertson, and one nickname Chico shared by the legendary player Chic Charnley and an equally legendary kitman. Any additions? I am not allowing Jim Melrose as a plural form of Melro.

David Amoo and as that ends in 2 ‘o’s i get a bonus point.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

That run contained some memorable victories and fantastic fightbacks. I think that it would have included the following culminating in promotion at Peterhead. There must have been a game or two at the beginning of the next season but I must confess that I have forgotten these totally.

Stirling Albion 1 Thistle 2.  This was a vitally important scrap that enabled us to stagger to the end of the main league season in 4th place. Stirling were 5th and could have overhauled us. We fell behind early and one of our goalscorers was Jags legend Darren Brady.

Dumbarton 2 Thistle 3. Last game of the league season by which time we were safe in 4th place. We were 2-0 down, but momentum was restored and spirits lifted as another Jags legend  Stephen McConalogue took advantage of a defensive error to roll the winner home from a tight angle.

Stranraer 1 Thistle 3. First play off match against the team from the higher league. We were unfortunate to be losing at half time, but the Bull and Mark Roberts turned it round in a high quality second half performance.

Peterhead 1 Thistle 2. Unforgettable drama and ultimate delight. Looked down and out as early on we fell a goal behind on the day and two down on aggregate. Roberts kept us in it, but we never really looked like scoring again until Billy Gibson's free kick took at least 3 deflections on its way to the back of the net. Still has to rank as the greatest single low to high transformational moment of my Thistle supporting history .

So to Dick Campbell, Chapeau, or should that be Bunnet?

I must be getting my seasons mixed up, but I had a feeling that there was never any doubt in making the playoffs that year from about Christmas time

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I must be getting my seasons mixed up, but I had a feeling that there was never any doubt in making the playoffs that year from about Christmas time

My recollection (I have not checked any records) is that as you say, we were indeed in a reasonably comfortable 3rd place around Christmas, with Gretna having vanished over the horizon and Morton a distance ahead too. However, we then lost the combined firepower of loanees Santala and Dorrans. Results were mixed. Peterhead moved past us and Stirling came up on the rails. I am virtually certain that if we had lost to Stirling , we would either have slipped below them or they would have been so close to us that there would have been severe pressure on our remaining fixture(s). No doubt one of the recordkeepers will confirm.

• 2 months later...