Stats Watch 2018-19

He was a trialist for Billy Lamont's Thistle in July, 1987 and kept a clean-sheet in his only appearance; a 0-0 friendly draw against East Stirlingshire in the unusual setting of the British Aluminium Social Club playing fields. With hindsight, Lamont could have done with signing him - injuries forced the fielding of 7 different keepers in 7 consecutive game just a few months later!

Right, own up, who were the dafties who turned up at Firs Park?

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/1987+-+East+Stirling%2C+0-0

1 hour ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

He was a trialist for Billy Lamont's Thistle in July, 1987 and kept a clean-sheet in his only appearance; a 0-0 friendly draw against East Stirlingshire in the unusual setting of the British Aluminium Social Club playing fields. With hindsight, Lamont could have done with signing him - injuries forced the fielding of 7 different keepers in 7 consecutive game just a few months later!

Right, own up, who were the dafties who turned up at Firs Park?

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/1987+-+East+Stirling%2C+0-0

Wasn’t one of the dafties but was Dolan no9 Davie per chance?  

If so finally found game he has played in, stays next street to me, good guy.

Edited by elevenone
  • Like 1

Well, I wasn't expecting that!

Dolan is one of the obscure surname-only entries in the great Jaggy database, something I'd love to rectify if possible. As I currently understand it, he was an unused sub the next Saturday (a 3-1 win away to Stenny) and then came on as a sub in a 2-1 friendly defeat away to Baillieston Juniors two days later on the Monday. Does that square with the man himself?

Things I'd like to know:

Commonly used forename?
Full birth name?
Date of birth?
Place of birth?
Height?
Weight? (roughly, while at Thistle)
Club list? (including Jnrs or Amtrs, roughly in order if poss inc. a specific note of which club he came from)
Was he a trialist or did he sign for a short spell?
Can he remember the names of any of the two trialist subs in the East Stirlingshire game? (pushing my luck!)

I'll publish this info in some form in the future; it'd be nice for him to take his place in the Thistle story, even if it was just a small part?

Of course, he might tell you to do one, in which case don't sweat it, I wouldn't want you getting done for harassment. :D

edited to add: Oh, and a headshot jpeg from the period would be extra splendid : - )

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

3 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that!

Dolan is one of the obscure surname-only entries in the great Jaggy database, something I'd love to rectify if possible. As I currently understand it, he was an unused sub the next Saturday (a 3-1 win away to Stenny) and then came on as a sub in a 2-1 friendly defeat away to Baillieston Juniors two days later on the Monday. Does that square with the man himself?

Things I'd like to know:

Commonly used forename?
Full birth name?
Date of birth?
Place of birth?
Height?
Weight? (roughly, while at Thistle)
Club list? (including Jnrs or Amtrs, roughly in order if poss inc. a specific note of which club he came from)
Was he a trialist or did he sign for a short spell?
Can he remember the names of any of the two trialist subs in the East Stirlingshire game? (pushing my luck!)

I'll publish this info in some form in the future; it'd be nice for him to take his place in the Thistle story, even if it was just a small part?

Of course, he might tell you to do one, in which case don't sweat it, I wouldn't want you getting done for harassment. :D

edited to add: Oh, and a headshot jpeg from the period would be extra splendid : - )

Don't forge:  an in-depth interview of his memories of his time at the club, his highs and lows as a Thistle player, and how he thinks the current squad compares to the one he was in! :D

• Haha 1

Will try and get as much info as possible out of him next time our paths meet including whether he was that Dolan in that line up.  Only info that I remember is he played around that era and also played down south, I think for a London area club. Celtic fan but we all can’t be perfect.  Will PM you as much info whenever I meet him again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Don't forge:  an in-depth interview of his memories of his time at the club, his highs and lows as a Thistle player, and how he thinks the current squad compares to the one he was in! :D

:thinking:  Hmm. Good thinking Jagger.

Also, best player he ever played with at Thistle? If it's going well, it'd be good to move on to more contemporary matters. Does he think Scotland will qualify for the 2020 Euros? Can Morrissey recover from his recent controversies? What's his position on Brexit?

If anyone has any more questions for Elevenone's big interview with Davie Dolan please get them in nice and early, thank you.  -_-

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

:thinking:  Hmm. Good thinking Jagger.

Also, best player he ever played with at Thistle? If it's going well, it'd be good to move on to more contemporary matters. Does he think Scotland will qualify for the 2020 Euros? Can Morrissey recover from his recent controversies? What's his position on Brexit?

If anyone has any more questions for Elevenone's big interview with Davie Dolan please get them in nice and early, thank you.  -_-

Any dressing room stories that might come as a surprise to supporters?

How did he feel/react when the gaffer told him that he was "being released"?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, The Jukebox Rebel said:

As we can see from the absolute facts, based on the opening six competitive games across all the first-spell tenureships (@ 3pts per win), Gary's first six results leave him sitting with the worst record from almost every angle:

33dytf8.jpg

TJR, Can you update this for the first ten games. How bad does it have to get before they are forced to take action or is Caldwell untouchable. 

The opening ten competitive games across all the first-spell tenureships (3pts per win):

10-games-record.jpg.08abacccb5f8a2a633f3fae9d3f72d90.jpg

As for the bullet point, Gerry Collins has the dubious distinction of shortest number of competitive games of any full-time tenureship (P15, W1 D2 L12), closely followed by Sandy Clark (P17, W2 D6 L9).

Personally, I can't ever recall taking such an instant dislike to an incoming Thistle gaffer as I have done with Caldwell, a position I formed in the immediate hours after his post-match reaction at Alloa. He strikes me as a complete bullsh!tter and, no matter what happens from hereon, I don't think I'll ever trust what he says.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

The opening ten competitive games across all the first-spell tenureships (3pts per win):

As for the bullet point, Gerry Collins has the dubious distinction of shortest number of competitive games of any full-time tenureship (P15, W1 D2 L12), closely followed by Sandy Clark (P17, W2 D6 L9).

Personally, I can't ever recall taking such an instant dislike to an incoming Thistle gaffer as I have done with Caldwell, a position I formed in the immediate hours after his post-match reaction at Alloa. He strikes me as a complete bullsh!tter and, no matter what happens from hereon, I don't think I'll ever trust what he says.

Good to talk to you yesterday TJR. Despite following Thistle for years and having to plough your way through the terrible stats of the past  18months you don't have any grey hair. How do you manage it?

1 hour ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

I guess that John Lambies stats are for his 1st spell ? How did his other 2 spells go ?

And what are the all time stats for each manager ?

TJR, thanks for the stats, they do show a pattern that that is both interesting and depressing.

To my mind (and apologies for being a bit simplistic here), our problems seem to go back before GC appeared at Firhill. My feeling is he was not the right person for the job, but he did take over a team that in some ways seem easy to beat after our success in getting 'top six' status.

AA's PTFC can be split into two football teams:-

1. The PT team he took from McNamara in 2013 and gained top six status in 2017

2. The team that played after reaching top 6 status in 2017 (scored 3, conceded 16 after the split) through to the Livingstone game on the 20 of May 2018

It is almost as if the team stopped playing as soon as they got that top 6 slot.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

TJR, thanks for the stats, they do show a pattern that that is both interesting and depressing.

To my mind (and apologies for being a bit simplistic here), our problems seem to go back before GC appeared at Firhill. My feeling is he was not the right person for the job, but he did take over a team that in some ways seem easy to beat after our success in getting 'top six' status.

2. The team that played after reaching top 6 status in 2017 (scored 3, conceded 16 after the split) through to the Livingstone game on the 20 of May 2018

It is almost as if the team stopped playing as soon as they got that top 6 slot.

Thoughts?

I agree the “team stopped playing” bit after top 6 was achieved. But I do not think you can say the team he took over from McNamara is the same as the one which achieved top 6.  Much went wrong thereafter but Alan Archibald deserves the credit for that top 6 finish. Let’s also remember many fans do not think McNamara would have even Got that team promoted given away form prior to him leaving  

“McNamara’s team”  becomes more legendary with the passing of time only as a stick to beat Alan Archibald with  

its incredible that the guy who wanted success for the club, who took us to the highest league finish in years, and who knocked back other clubs to stay with us is more poorly regarded by some supporters than a guy who left us for more cash at first opportunity and has subsequently shown himself to be a completely classless act   

Archie’s time was up  - and he has left us in a poor position with the balance and quality of squad and downward momentum  but that does not wipe out what he acheieved for the club  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Good to talk to you yesterday TJR. Despite following Thistle for years and having to plough your way through the terrible stats of the past  18months you don't have any grey hair. How do you manage it?

Likewise AJ :thumbsup2: As for the grey hair, this will be the season to do it I reckon!

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I guess that John Lambies stats are for his 1st spell ? How did his other 2 spells go ?

And what are the all time stats for each manager ?

Lambie went W4 D3 L3 in 1990 (post-Clark) and had a torrid time of it post-Bryce in 1999, W1 D3 L6. In fact, his 3rd spell reached a shocking low of P15 W1 D3 L11.

The club's full competitive record (sorted by pts-per-game then goal difference) breaks down thus:

compet.jpg.c52870f4301f2c47e9665e00c26f83c0.jpg

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Thoughts?

Re AA, what initially worked for him (the tight gang) eventually worked against him. I think he lost his ability to control and motivate his last crop, the mysterious case of Abdul Osman almost symbolic as the case in point. Sh!t like that that affects the group mentality. It's a helluva thing and very difficult to pinpoint, players (especially the journeymen) can be lazy bestirts if you let them be. I'm sure AA will have learnt a lot about the fine art of man management.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

I have to clarify what I said about Alan Archibald and Jackie McNamara, I do take your point jaf, I should have written the post better.

What I should have said is AA took over from JMcN in 2013, and made a team that not only got promotion, but also took the team to top 6 status in 2017.

My point is still the same, I just cant understand what happened to that team once they had achieved that success, but I do know that the following season, they again started badly and played like a group of strangers until that fateful second play-off game against Livingston.

I do think we downed tools to some extent that season. It was definitely a case of job done.

Less convinced that this followed through to the following season. A combination of poor recruitment and bad injuries put us on the back foot and I don't think we ever recovered the belief after that. 

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Those are incredible stats. Who would have thought that Dick Campbell who really gets dogs abuse on here has such a good record.

DC does have a good record in the lower leagues. His part time Arbroath are 11 points ahead of Raith rovers, who are full time. How bad must a full time team be to have a part time team ahead of them?

• Like 1