Congratulations to ThistleWeir

partickthedog

https://www.derrynow.com/sport/celebrations-commiserations-2018-foyle-cup-comes-end-winners/238393

I hope this link works.  As you will see Partick ThistleWeir under 15s won the Foyle Cup, a major youth football tournament in Northern Ireland extending over several days. I have also seen a tweet including a video of the lads celebrating by singing "Maryhill is Wonderful"!

I have no other details as to how many teams TW played and which side they beat in the final or what any of the scores were. But given the prestige of this tournament and the number of teams competing and the level of some of the other age group winning teams (including such as Sheffield United and Heart of Midlothian ), this is an excellent success and congratulations are due to players and coaches alike.

Additional more complete information from others welcomed.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 4

On 22/07/2018 at 8:03 AM, jags on tour said:

Superb stuff. BBC NI are showing a game live online and on the app on Tuesday at 7 between ThistleWeir and some American side who are over training in Glasgow.

Is it not Club America the Mexican outfit?

Just watched the under 17's lose 2-0 to an excellent Right to Dream team in the SUPERCUPNI. (Formerly the Milk Cup) They held their own for long periods, and came close a couple of times late on. Worked hard in the main but were undone by a couple of very sharp opponents.  No one really stood out for me, but a few nice touches from Cameron when he came on. I think they get 4 or 5 games and the experience should stand them in good stead. This competion has seen some   players go on to stellar careers in the past, and it's great to see us involved. Let's hope we get a return on Colin's investment. Thanks Colin

I had high hopes when our youth team did well in the milk cup about 3 or 4 years ago. Where are they now? Im sure Rashford was playing in that same competition. While he was getting into the first team at man united, we had guisers like nitriansky making up the numbers

This is fantastic from the boys in the TW academy - well done everyone involved.

I understand your point MonehJags but I think these tournaments are even more important than just looking at the individual names that come through the ranks.  

These competitions put the Jags name out there in the footballing world.  There was a time when the likes of Marcus Rashford may never have heard of The Mighty Partick Thistle.  

These comps put the (successful) club name into the minds of a very large number of young footballers that may cross our path again in the future.  This is far bigger than the 4 or 5 games that these kids played - they are credit to Partick Thistle.  They are WINNERS!

'Ohhhh Maryhill, is wonderful,...' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Donald Trump would say I have been guilty of fake news in the last few days. It was the U16s who won the Foyle Cup. Our U15s are currently in Iceland competing in the Rey Cup and they have won all their games so far which means they will play Fulham in the final tomorrow. Hopefully they will make it a Thistle cup double and repeat the victory our U17s had in this competition last year.

Our U18s were in the SuperCup over in Northern Ireland and had some tough fixtures but did get a couple of fine wins as well with Evan Galasso coming home with the Golden Boot.

The future is red & yellow!

8 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Unfortunately our U15s lost the final today against Fulham on penalties after a 0-0 draw but they should be proud of themselves and we should be proud of them.

Ran out of likes.Great stuff from our younger teams.Now over to the senior team.