Ayr at home

Knightswood Jag

Wasn’t at the game, but guys really....is it not a bit early to be calling for Archie’s head?

He is rebuilding the team, but still 4-5 players short. So players are still to settle in. We did win 3 games in this competition before today, so I’m some ways Ayr is a reality check that we have more work to do. We also need a leader on the park (O’Ware?).

As Auld Jag said, let’s judge progress by Christmas.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sandy said:

Wasn’t at the game, but guys really....is it not a bit early to be calling for Archie’s head?

He is rebuilding the team, but still 4-5 players short. So players are still to settle in. We did win 3 games in this competition before today, so I’m some ways Ayr is a reality check that we have more work to do. We also need a leader on the park (O’Ware?).

I don’t think everyone is calling for Archie’s head but many are .....just worrying that the the poor run since April 2017 May be continuing 

From the highlights: we actually had more than a few good moves that on another day might have resulted in a couple of goals. But the worrying thing is that their keeper didn't actually have anything to do, whereas ours had to pull off a few saves to keep the score respectable.

45 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I don’t think everyone is calling for Archie’s head but many are .....just worrying that the the poor run since April 2017 May be continuing 

We just won 3 games in a row, before yesterday. 

The knicker wetting (entitlement) on here is embarrassing. It reads like folk want this team to fail, as being able to say "I told you so" is more important than the teams success.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, potty trained said:

The knicker wetting (entitlement) on here is embarrassing. It reads like folk want this team to fail, as being able to say "I told you so" is more important than the teams success.

The blanket referring to all concerned fans as knicker wetters is just as bad imo. While yesterday wasn’t the end of the world there is genuine cause for concern. For me it’s still needing 4-5 decent quality signings - not squad fillers - at this stage, more so given Archie’s record of last minute random panic signings. Did we have any signing targets other than Tam O’Ware lined up early in the close season??  

I could probably write the longest post ever on here today but won’t bore everyone. 

A few observations :

we missed o ware. He is a born leader as well as a good player. Doolan and erskines loyalty is commendable but the captain should be the best person for the job not a long service medal. 

We will always lose goals if Christie Elliot plays as a full back  

since reducing storeys wage and getting Barton’s excessive wage off books we have signed a young left back on loan  surely there must be cash available given these changes  

we desperately need a striker  doolan is a hero for us all but he barely kicked a ball in these cup games  and it’s more than lack of service his movement is not the same  

talking of movement, the jury is out for me on Shea Gordon however he made a couple of brilliant runs yesterday  no thistle player saw them though as we were too slow  what happened next is - he stopped making those runs  

slater  substitution was perplexing 

i don’t understand how Archie thinks we need 4 players  I think we need 6   

Finally the first half we actually played ok I thought - Elliot blunder aside  slater and o ware will start to give us a good spine   That said, I would take 8th right now  

I don’t think it’s time to completely loose our heads, we lost to a school boy level error and an absolute worldy  but some things cannot be ignored. Also how long do we leave it?

Today shows what happens when you have a good manager...they were streets ahead of us and Mark Kerr is even in the team. Their number 7 completely ran the game and we are screaming out for a real defensive midfielder. Let’s face it McCall schooled Archie today.

it scares me that once again this season we are starting off with the same mistakes as last.Behind with signing players, persisting with injured players,signing injury prone players. Playing players that need some bench time.Sticking to formations and passages of play that have zero final product.Ridiculous substitutions.No plan B. A team that chuck it when they go behind.A team who look really unfit.

Doolan and Spittal for me where really disappointing and that does not bode well for the season..Erskine tried hard but it just wasn’t happening..Shea Gordon did nothing the whole game apart from one decent tackle.

We could sign the world but if the same mistakes keep being made nothing will change.

The big question is

was it the players last year or was it really the whole set up. We will find out really soon.

VERY VERY CONCERNED!!!!!

• Like 1

That just looked like 11 random guys  in Thistle strips running about like headless chickens. I don't know the Ayr team at all but I could immediately figure out what their formation was how they intended to play, I have no idea what the jags formation was and what the game plan was. The only thing that came to mind was that the groundsman must have asked the team not to use the middle of the pitch for fear it may wear out. I also thought we were by far the better team when it came to passing the ball in our own half so as not to cause the sensitive boys in the Ayr side any fear or alarm by actually passing the ball forward. And as much as I'd like to see a non hierarchical society, on a football pitch I'd like to see a leader. 

Side side side side...

1 hour ago, RaveOnBobbyLaw said:

The blanket referring to all concerned fans as knicker wetters is just as bad imo. While yesterday wasn’t the end of the world there is genuine cause for concern. For me it’s still needing 4-5 decent quality signings - not squad fillers - at this stage, more so given Archie’s record of last minute random panic signings. Did we have any signing targets other than Tam O’Ware lined up early in the close season??  

I didn't blanket everyone who has posted since full time as knicker wetters. But my post was pointed at them. 

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

Knicker wetting!? How anyone has the gall to even mention that phrase after 18 months of absolute crap from the manager and this team is beyond me. We heard it all last season, and it turned out those "knicker-wetters" saw the writing on the wall a lot clearer than the happy-clappers. 

It’s going to be a tough season, it’s the way it is nine times out of ten for the relegated team. 

Just as we weren’t going to win the league by winning our first three cup games, it doesn’t mean we’re certs for relegation by losing the last. 

We have issues, we lack quality and depth in areas.

We also have a month to sort it, whether Archie can do that remains to be seen but the board believe he can so he should get our backing in the meantime. 

I think one of the issues is that for a lot of the more vocal support, the last 5/6 years are what they think Thistle have always been. A relatively successful premiership side. 

One season of relegation (don’t get me wrong, it was awful) and the daggers are out. 

We’ve been here before and will be again I’m sure,  it’s the way it works for clubs our size. 

I have concerns with the way we set up, our fitness etc but I’d still say it’s a bit early to be hitting the panic button. 

• Like 3

I reckon Christie knows perfectly well what a massive, ridiculous, error that was yesterday and will be desperate to make up for it. Killed the game.

I think we're needing the experienced 4-5 signings other folk have mentioned and we really, really, need someone in midfield who can command the area.

I'm no happy clapper and was pissed off and frustrated at what we saw yesterday but in my opinion, some of the ********* around me in the JHS need to grow up and take a good hard look at themselves. Booing the team at half time, booing individual players and shouting at them from the stand. Laughing and booing when Penrice was given MOM (and the boy certainly heard them). Shameful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

We did win 3 in a row but who against and how were the performances ? Archie said yesterday was a must win game....we lost it and didn’t play well.

the time for me will be in September after the window has closed and we have played 6/7 league games.....the club are making for us a huge financial gamble on getting straight back up and the manager has accepted the challenge ....let’s see  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Knicker wetting!? How anyone has the gall to even mention that phrase after 18 months of absolute crap from the manager and this team is beyond me. We heard it all last season, and it turned out those "knicker-wetters" saw the writing on the wall a lot clearer than the happy-clappers. 

And as I said, it seems those same folk are happy for the team to fail just so they can say "I told you so". 

Some will not be happy until Archie is out of a job. Win 3 games in a row they'll go into hiding. First defeat in 4? They'll be shouting as loud as they can.

13 minutes ago, potty trained said:

And as I said, it seems those same folk are happy for the team to fail just so they can say "I told you so". 

Some will not be happy until Archie is out of a job. Win 3 games in a row they'll go into hiding. First defeat in 4? They'll be shouting as loud as they can.

I rarely post on here and was content to let last season play out without publicly condemning management and players, despite the writing being on the wall well in advance of relegation.

Yesterday was my first match since Livingston and like 99% of those attending I now have serious concerns based on what I saw. It was in no way different to last season, save for a few new players in the shirts.

I have religiously watched thistle for 30yrs, I feel reasonably experienced and qualified to raise concerns that another turgid season awaits us.

If I were chairman I would relieve archie and his staff of their duties and bring in a fresh manager and assistant. I love archie and take no pleasure in saying that. I think in reality though he'll only be removed if we are in the bottom 2 come xmas. 

No-one will be happier than me for him, the club and all our fans if he proves me wrong.

I'll just keep wetting my knickers until it plays out to a conclusion.

Ps. Looking forward to seeing O'ware play, hoping that will lift my spirits. 

We could sign messi and ronaldo and make them look redundant. This crying out for another defensive midfielder I dont understand, is that so we have another player to pass it square to? Someone else touched on it, why did we bring in on loan a youth player when we have our own that imo are better? Elliot would struggle to find a club if he left us, he offers very little. I wish he would bring the ball in from the bye line when hes attacking. To say its early days is false, the season started 2 weeks ago and Archie has got them all playing the same system we've all watched before. We will sign 4 stocking fillers, mould them into christie elliots and remove any talent they had to play the archie way. The end result, a miracle if we score a goal.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

First part. Absolutely correct. It is tho' entirely logical that those who were wanting him sacked won't have changed their minds. Sadly just as logical that within that group will be folk who are somewhere from quite chuffed to indifferent about yesterday's performance. They'll be comforted in their I told you, didn't I attitude.

Second part. Correct again. I didn't see much yesterday to suggest we'll get a result away from home against the same opposition. A settled team usually beats a work in progress eleven even if the latter has better quality. For us to win next week suggests our quality would have to be so much better than Ayr's. I'm not sure that's the case but even if it is one week to prove it is too short.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

4 hours ago, sandy said:

Well said sir. I share some of the concerns expressed on the thread but two rounds of games in the league (everyone home and away) if no shape, progress, tactics, improvement then i'll join the naesayers. Until then i'll keep supporting.

Far too rearly to be calling for heads

Haha. Highlights are hilarious. Carbon copy of any number of games from last season.  We're relegation fodder if I ever seen it. 1 up front at home to a team who should probably be bottom half. If you're an opposition manager there is no excuse if you're not picking up points against us. 

Playing nice slick passing moves is great if you have quality and numbers in the final 3rd, something, something our management team fail to grasp. 

I initially thought for the coming season Archie would go by March but surely someone has got to sit him down and say to him that we need to be challenging by Christmas or it's curtains. Put him under pressure ffs.  There will be countless managers out of work in 5 months time so give the next man the window to get a couple of bodies in and maybe just maybe we'll be able to stay in this league. Reset next May, new man in charge, preseason etc and hopefully we can make a push up the table. As it stands we're slowly morphing into Dundee Utd with a smaller budget, which in turn is gonna result in relegation.

First of all , can we just kick this 'knicker wetting' expression into touch for fans who are  expressing genuine concerns.

It's not just about results for me but also the style of game we play.  It painful on the eyes watching us huff and puff playing the 

ball across the field until we can eventually play up the wing  and then... well then it comes to nothing as we fail to get in an effective cross

or hit it miles (pun intented) over the bar.

A typical example of this this yesterday was Christie Elliott getting the ball in space just outside the corner of the 18yd box and instead of driving 

at the keeper and putting in a stinger of a shot which the keeper has to either save, deflect or hopefully miss, he puts in a soft cross along the ground which

is easily cleared.  I'm convinced that our players follow instructions in these scenarios and are not playing their natural game, hence we may change faces

but end up playing the same chronically dull football.

I must admit I instinctively applauded the Ayr goal from Shankland, as did many around me, as it was refreshing to see a piece of invention and awareness

that seems totally beyond the thought process and skill level of Archie's teams at present.

By the way, could anyone who's played the game at a senior level tell me what it is Shaggy shows the sub in his A4 folder before he comes on.

Is it photos of team mates, our planned formation, his holiday snaps?  I find it quite amusing as it's very rare for a Thistle sub do anything meaningful

to change a game which is usually lost by the time they come on. 

38 minutes ago, Chachi said:

I'd prefer archie left, but I'll keep supporting my team regardless.

It's not exclusively one or the other. Dividing the support in to happy clappers and knicker wetters only creates conflict.

Well said.

Everybody who is on here is a committed supporter of Partick Thistle Football Club and the division is pointless and daft.

As long as criticism is constructive it is useful.

To watch yesterdays game and not be concerned is worrying.

Archibald was given a chance that very few managers get and he has to take it. The major concern from posters is valid - that we watched the same football yesterday as we did all last season.

The goals don’t even matter, they could not be legislated for, the worry is the same inability to turn possession into meaningful attacks and the failure to ask any questions of an opposition defence.

We should have qualified from that group in first place. I honestly didn’t think Ayr were all that good although they had one or two individuals playing that our scouts seemed to miss.

The signings are not looking convincing at the moment.. Gordon spends long spells making little contribution and Storer looks as if he is going to spend most of the season suspended. None of the players who took a reduced wage to stay look anywhere near their best form.

McArthy and Fitzpatrick are young and should have been given more time yesterday without the pressure of the league.

Watching a team defend well then break at speed and in numbers should be a lesson for Archibald, he’s got to try and bring that to the thistle team.

There is no way this board will sack Archibald they are all too close but he could regret staying in the job unless he tries something different and stops frustrating the fans by offering the same pish and the same tippy tappy passing across the back and middle as we got all last season. The fans will be right to criticise if we pay good money and are offered that again.

If we need any sort of reality check we just need to look at Livingstone and St Mirren in the Premier League. They should not be there in our place!!

I thought days of shite like Michael Moffat giving Thistle any problems were over, it was like something from DC's season watching a fat diddy like that bully our defence.

Thats now 5 years since Thistle have come back from 2-0 down to claim anything in a match. That sums up this team. Spineless and bland as said previously. From the manager to players like Spittal, Gordon, Keown. Dools looks shot. McGinty is going to be a total liablity between his hoofball and lack of pace, we somehow managed to downgrade on Devine. Christie Elliott has run his course at Thistle. Storer is a red card waiting to happen. 

A little boy behind me summed things up perfectly "this is how Man City play when they are 5-0 up" we were 2-0 down and passing the ball sideways in the middle third of the pitch.

Hard to find positives. If hes fit Bell should be solid. Storey was threatening first half and then back to his usual self however second half. 

Edited by avie-man