Ayr at home

Knightswood Jag

1 hour ago, avie-man said:

Best cross Christie Elliott has put in all year.

To be fair Christie put in a brilliant cross for Kris Doolan to score against Rangers towards the end of the 2016/2017 season.

He provided something similar for Lyle Taylor v Ross County on the last game of the 2013/2014 season.

And am I right in saying that it was Christie's super cross that Ade Azeez memorably converted at Parkhead?

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

To be fair Christie put in a brilliant cross for Kris Doolan to score against Rangers towards the end of the 2016/2017 season.

He provided something similar for Lyle Taylor v Ross County on the last game of the 2013/2014 season.

And am I right in saying that it was Christie's super cross that Ade Azeez memorably converted at Parkhead?

You’re right about Parkhead. I actually thought his crossing has improved significantly in the past couple of seasons (provided he’s on the right). Our tendency not to get any bodies in the box (and never making near post runs) makes him look worse than he is. I recall Christie putting in many decent crosses last season that came to naught because no one gambled.

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

To be fair, that's not really the point is it?

I'm 61 and could comfortably have put a dozen better crosses than Christie has done over the last five years.

He's a cracking lad, and he's admirably worked so hard on his game in his time with us. 

However, as someone else pointed out, once he's released by PTFC he's unlikely to find another gig in senior pro football.

Have a look at Stevie Lawless - why is he agent without a club??

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

To be fair, that's not really the point is it?

I'm 61 and could comfortably have put a dozen better crosses than Christie has done over the last five years.

He's a cracking lad, and he's admirably worked so hard on his game in his time with us. 

However, as someone else pointed out, once he's released by PTFC he's unlikely to find another gig in senior pro football.

Have a look at Stevie Lawless - why is he agent without a club??

Every team has players highly regarded within their club but unnoticed outwith. I still believe that Christie is a good, reliable, premiership standard full-back, particularly defensively (though what on earth he was thinking yesterday is anyone’s guess).

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Every team has players highly regarded within their club but unnoticed outwith. I still believe that Christie is a good, reliable, premiership standard full-back, particularly defensively (though what on earth he was thinking yesterday is anyone’s guess).

No objection to that opinion.

17 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Our tendency not to get any bodies in the box (and never making near post runs) makes him look worse than he is. I recall Christie putting in many decent crosses last season that came to naught because no one gambled.

We discussed that yesterday. Not singling out Christie in particular has many of our recent full backs and midfielders as well can’t get it beyond the first man, so why don’t we have more players making near post runs?

7 minutes ago, jaggy said:

We discussed that yesterday. Not singling out Christie in particular has many of our recent full backs and midfielders as well can’t get it beyond the first man, so why don’t we have more players making near post runs?

Good point.

No argument from me re Christie's delivery not being good. Just feel singling him out kinda suggests the others are all proficient.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good point.

No argument from me re Christie's delivery not being good. Just feel singling him out kinda suggests the others are all proficient.

Agree this isn't just a problem for Christie. The standard of crossing is frankly embarrassing, it is a poor reflection on the management team and the players as individuals.  The lack of quality in delivery and movement within the box is a main contributor to why our goals for column has been poor throughout the Premiership years. Add to this the lack of quality of delivery at corners and set pieces in general and it's easy to see how we are easy to defend against.

5 minutes ago, Metz said:

Agree this isn't just a problem for Christie. The standard of crossing is frankly embarrassing, it is a poor reflection on the management team and the players as individuals.  The lack of quality in delivery and movement within the box is a main contributor to why our goals for column has been poor throughout the Premiership years. Add to this the lack of quality of delivery at corners and set pieces in general and it's easy to see how we are easy to defend against.

Some good points being made. 

I watch the top teams scoring goals with 5/6 players in the box. Hibs are a great example.  We played brilliantly until Ayr’s goal but we didn’t score due to a lack of bodies in support. Storey and Erskine started on fire with some good deliveries but Dools was always crowded out.

Remember Martin Hardie? Box to box!!  What a great player for Jags. Slater looks the most likely of the 3 mids to be able to fulfill this role and he should be instructed in no uncertain terms to get on the end of crosses.

Perhaps Christie’S crossing is no worse than most of the others. With the role he plays, up and down that flank, bursting a gut to hit the bye line, his deliveries could be more important than others considering the positions he gets into. 

I'm a big fan of Christie Elliott.

But what he did on Saturday.... I honestly don't think I can remember a worse piece of play in watching 40 years of football at every level. Like, to concede a corner from where he started would have been very embarrassing. To concede a goal...

Can anyone remember seeing worse?

4 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Just watched the highlights... Dear me.

Billy McDonald v Ayr was pretty ghastly too and certainly more important.

Billy wins it.  Similar feeling of disbelief, similar slow-motion feeling of shouting 'nooooooo' when he took that quick free kick.  

13 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Some good points being made. 

I watch the top teams scoring goals with 5/6 players in the box. Hibs are a great example.  We played brilliantly until Ayr’s goal but we didn’t score due to a lack of bodies in support. Storey and Erskine started on fire with some good deliveries but Dools was always crowded out.

Remember Martin Hardie? Box to box!!  What a great player for Jags. Slater looks the most likely of the 3 mids to be able to fulfill this role and he should be instructed in no uncertain terms to get on the end of crosses.

Perhaps Christie’S crossing is no worse than most of the others. With the role he plays, up and down that flank, bursting a gut to hit the bye line, his deliveries could be more important than others considering the positions he gets into. 

For me the jury is out on Shea Gordon as of yet, but he made countless runs into the box in the first half (culminating in the one where he missed the chance), but mostly the players behind failed to see the run, were too slow to play a pass, or the ball just did not fall to him. I think he can be a box to box type player - whether he is good enough, remains to be seen.

I was disappointed that he stopped making the runs though in the second half.

42 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Yeah, but the guy was about 5 yards away.  Still don't know why that stood.

Remember thinking that at the time, and also having just watched it on YouTube - still, stupid thing to do anyway. Nobody seemed to chase back either.

Got me thinking... why do we keep going back & putting ourselves through it again and again and again?!?

Because when the good times come, they’re sweeter.