Ayr at home

Knightswood Jag

On 7/30/2018 at 10:39 AM, potty trained said:

Because he had one good season in his career, and that was 6 years ago.

You're right PT;  Stevie Lawless had his best season before Archie became manager.

Stevie Lawless was/is IMO a highly intelligent player, a great talent that has been overlooked, underused, misunderstood and  by and large wasted by our current management.  I would also say the same, to a lesser extent about Kris Doolan.

Makes you wonder why Archie didn't have the foresight to bin him seasons ago? It could have freed up a wage to bring in another dull and worthy "grafter".

5 hours ago, AndyMac said:

You're right PT;  Stevie Lawless had his best season before Archie became manager.

Stevie Lawless was/is IMO a highly intelligent player, a great talent that has been overlooked, underused, misunderstood and  by and large wasted by our current management.  I would also say the same, to a lesser extent about Kris Doolan.

Makes you wonder why Archie didn't have the foresight to bin him seasons ago? It could have freed up a wage to bring in another dull and worthy "grafter".

Is that you, Stevie?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Hi Mrs Lawless. You did a fine job raising wee Stevie but your footballing opinions are dreadful. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Stevie Lawless overlooked and under used by Archie?

I've seen some classic rewriting of history on here recently, but this is a cracker!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Stevie Lawless overlooked and under used by Archie?

I've seen some classic rewriting of history on here recently, but this is a cracker!

Oh yes, much the same as Kris Doolan.

Archie must of rated him good enough for the premiership but not good enough for the championship.

Still in the mad cup, topsy turvy world of Archie and his cult followers, who willingly lap up his monotonous brand of insipid "football", it all makes perfect sense.

14 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Lawless only joined us the season Archie became manager. He played in EVERY game that season under Archibald.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Lawless only joined us the season Archie became manager. He played in EVERY game that season under Archibald.

True; Archie inherited a great team and in his first season won nearly every game with Stevie Lawless playing in it.

Also true; the team Archie "built" over a five year period was dire, an absolute shambles, a pale shadow of the one he took over.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

True; Archie inherited a great team and in his first season won nearly every game with Stevie Lawless playing in it.

Also true; the team Archie "built" over a five year period was dire, an absolute shambles, a pale shadow of the one he took over.

Utter rubbish- the team he inherited was no where near as good as the one which finished 6th. The first season up was a struggle. Each season barring the last was better as the team improved. Only last season did it go wrong. I genuinely don't believe we would even have made it up if JMc hadn't jumped ship, our away record was so dire that season until he left.  This revisionist bollocks is doing my head in.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Oh yes, much the same as Kris Doolan.

Archie must of rated him good enough for the premiership but not good enough for the championship.

Still in the mad cup, topsy turvy world of Archie and his cult followers, who willingly lap up his monotonous brand of insipid "football", it all makes perfect sense.

One of Archie's few failings, giving Lawless so many chances to prove himself in the top league. Last season must have been his last chance and he thought bugger it And ditched him.

I mean, the grand total of 3(?) League goals from 57 appearances over the last two seasons is embarrassing. With those stats I'd say he was over used. 

Edited by potty trained

44 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Utter rubbish- the team he inherited was no where near as good as the one which finished 6th. The first season up was a struggle. Each season barring the last was better as the team improved. Only last season did it go wrong. I genuinely don't believe we would even have made it up if JMc hadn't jumped ship, our away record was so dire that season until he left.  This revisionist bollocks is doing my head in.

Sorry, you are correct;

Archie inherited a mediocre team that he magically transformed into promotion winners.

After five years at the helm, the team was further improved season upon season, into one of the greatest Thistle teams of all time. We were very unlucky to get relegated last year, it was a travesty of justice and not Archie's fault in anyway whatsoever.

That suit you better?

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, potty trained said:

One of Archie's few failings, giving Lawless so many chances to prove himself in the top league. Last season must have been his last chance and he thought bugger it And ditched him.

I mean, the grand total of 3(?) League goals from 57 appearances over the last two seasons is embarrassing. With those stats I'd say he was over used. 

Apart from getting us relegated.

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

You're entitled to you're opinion but please refrain from using the word "true".  If you're inferring the promoted team was superior to any of the subsequent teams we fielded in the top division I'm truly amazed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You're entitled to you're opinion but please refrain from using the word "true".  If you're inferring the promoted team was superior to any of the subsequent teams we fielded in the top division I'm truly amazed

You too are "entitled to you're opinion but" "I'm truly amazed" that "you're inferring" the team that Archie built, the one that got us so dismally relegated, was "superior" to the one he inherited?

I admire your faith.

5 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Sorry, you are correct;

Archie inherited a mediocre team that he magically transformed into promotion winners.

After five years at the helm, the team was further improved season upon season, into one of the greatest Thistle teams of all time. We were very unlucky to get relegated last year, it was a travesty of justice and not Archie's fault in anyway whatsoever.

That suit you better?

To be clear- the team inherited was mediocre by Premiership standards. This is separate to the point that the manager he inherited the team from had much greater tactical shortcomings which meant, I believe, we would have fallen short if he had stayed. 

The team was improved year-on-year for four seasons, not into one of the greatest Thistle teams of all time, but certainly (on the basis of league position) one of the best in decades.

Archibald’s shortcomings, coupled with other factors (we were ultimately relegated on goal difference, so injuries and catastrophic loss of form of key players cannot be completely discounted), meant that last season was a failure for both club and manager. This does not mean that the previous four seasons had not been successful. Anything but.

38 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

To be clear- the team inherited was mediocre by Premiership standards. This is separate to the point that the manager he inherited the team from had much greater tactical shortcomings which meant, I believe, we would have fallen short if he had stayed. 

The team was improved year-on-year for four seasons, not into one of the greatest Thistle teams of all time, but certainly (on the basis of league position) one of the best in decades.

Archibald’s shortcomings, coupled with other factors (we were ultimately relegated on goal difference, so injuries and catastrophic loss of form of key players cannot be completely discounted), meant that last season was a failure for both club and manager. This does not mean that the previous four seasons had not been successful. Anything but.

The point in football is that it’s the last performance or result that counts ......so get promoted and then get relegated it’s the last one that matters now 

lots of clubs have had managers who were successful for a period and then didn’t live up to that previous level 

last season was a disaster and .....

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

The point in football is that it’s the last performance or result that counts ......so get promoted and then get relegated it’s the last one that matters now 

lots of clubs have had managers who were successful for a period and then didn’t live up to that previous level 

last season was a disaster and .....

we are back to where we were when Archie took over. Only difference is, it's now a much worse team,

56 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I agree with much of what you say Duke.

Archie won us the Championship, he also kept us in the top flight for four seasons and deserves great credit for these achievements.

Where we disagree, is whether the team Archie inherited was better that the ones he built.

This season we shall probably get a clear answer, we shall see if Archie can start to build, from about scratch, an exciting new football team that is capable of winning promotion. I wouldn't expect the finished article this season. Nevertheless, it will be clear by the turn of the year if we are moving in the right direction.