Questions for Archie

ThickAsThieves

Won’t be able to make it today, but wondering if you are going to the Q&A - what questions will you be asking? Here are a few for inspiration.

1. What’s the update with Niall Keown? Does he look likely to sign a reduced terms deal?

2. Why have we - unlike our main rivals Ross County and Dundee United - once again left our squad short going into the season? 

3. What will be different tactically to last season? What formation will we favour? 

4. With Bannigan injuring his knee again, will he now be freed or is a pay-as-you-play deal an option?

5. What does our current scouting network look like? 

1 minute ago, Alan Murray said:

Banzo will sign some sort of pay as you play deal. Archie would not be talking about him being back in training next week if he was going to release him. His contract is up. 

His contract is up at the end of August I’m sure, so we still have a month to see how his fitness goes. Just wondering what the likelihood of him staying is.

33 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Won’t be able to make it today, but wondering if you are going to the Q&A - what questions will you be asking? Here are a few for inspiration.

1. What’s the update with Niall Keown? Does he look likely to sign a reduced terms deal?

2. Why have we - unlike our main rivals Ross County and Dundee United - once again left our squad short going into the season? 

3. What will be different tactically to last season? What formation will we favour? 

4. With Bannigan injuring his knee again, will he now be freed or is a pay-as-you-play deal an option?

5. What does our current scouting network look like? 

To be fair mate those going will probably have their own questions.  Not saying your questions are not valid but if your looking for direct answers to those specific questions if you can’t make it then you might be as well to email Gerry Britton 

I'd be interested to know why if Archie has thought about bringing in an attacking coach or consultant and if not how does he gain fresh tactical ideas?

Why does he believe so heavily in overlapping fullbacks as the attacking option ? Has he reviewed what other successful teams tactics have been in this league and if so what was his conclusion?

Did he notice that last year and this year opposition managers have figured us out by half time and in most games we struggled in the second half as we only change if we are behind? If so what does he seek to do different to change this?

Having secured Storey on a new deal will he start to be used in a central role rather than out wide?

I appreciate this one is not current but I'd like to know that he's learned from last year -  Why did he not play Penrice at left back last year and instead decide to play Christie out of position?

back in may when he explained that archie would be staying on as manager, david beattie told us: '...we have agreed that we must return to playing football like partick thistle. we can't be anyone else ...'

how does he envisage '...playing football like partick thistle'? does archie really believe that once the thistle blows we can continue to pass the ball around like we do during one of  our pre-game warmup  routines - passing, passing, passing, 5, 10, 15, 20 times without ever going anywhere  until the opposition finally intercepts??

davie mcparland's '71 league cup winning team 'played football like partick thistle...' we can't be anyone else...

• Like 1

Do our players get taught to look up before crossing the ball? Our final ball is absolutely atrocious. Its ridiculous that professional footballers should even need taught that.

What the **** do you do when you watch the matches back? No lessons are getting learned at all.

eta. Do we practice heeders? The storey miss was quite incredible.

Edited by MonehJags

4 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

I thought it was up now? Need to look back what Archie said when he signed it. 

It's until the end of August.

Any feedback from the Q&A would be great. What sort of questions were asked? I'm assuming it won't have been the happiest Q&A session there's ever been.

2 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Thanks - I did a search and could not find anything. 

Only thing I could find is - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/playing-squad-update/

Although it doesn't specify when in August, usually these types of listings are until the end of whatever the month mentioned is. And I'm sure Archie has stated it in one of his interviews as well, but no idea which one!

Just had a first hand report, sounds like exactly as I pictured. Roughie and the board were chuckling away, people asking shite like if Roughie needs a new sidekick ffs! Total love in.  Archie talking like we are going to get promoted and all is well, harping on with the same tired cliches about "how we need to be tougher". Club official directing the questioning.

Absolutely sleepwalking into trouble this season.

Edited by Hankey

33 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Just had a first hand report, sounds like exactly as I pictured. Roughie and the board were chuckling away, people asking shite like if Roughie needs a new sidekick ffs! Total love in.  Archie talking like we are going to get promoted and all is well, harping on with the same tired cliches about "how we need to be tougher". Club official directing the questioning.

Maybe you should have just turned up and booed mate. Absolute disgrace that the board were laughing and that Archie was being positive (isn’t he also criticised for being negative? I’m confused). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Maybe you should have just turned up and booed mate. Absolute disgrace that the board were laughing and that Archie was being positive (isn’t he also criticised for being negative? I’m confused). 

i am so very pleased everyone was happy because laughter and positivity were in very short supply among the long-suffering jags' fans at the lack-of-energy firhill stadium yesterday afternoon

2 hours ago, robphil said:

i am so very pleased everyone was happy because laughter and positivity were in very short supply among the long-suffering jags' fans at the lack-of-energy firhill stadium yesterday afternoon

Would you rather they sat there, after we have won 3 games out of 4, and acted like some of the absolute doom-merchant, misery-seekers on here? 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

3 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Would you rather they say there, after we have won 3 games out of 4, and acted like some of the absolute doom-merchant, misery-seekers on here? 

in 90 minutes against a team who were two divisions distant this time last season, we did not  force their 'keeper into a single save. i have been attending firhill for 60 years and have witnessed good and bad; i thought brexit was a shambles until i watched that exhibition of pass-the-parcel yesterday. i really, really hope i am wrong but at the moment promotion by any means appears to be over the rainbow and far away

5 minutes ago, robphil said:

in 90 minutes against a team who were two divisions distant this time last season, we did not  force their 'keeper into a single save. i have been attending firhill for 60 years and have witnessed good and bad; i thought brexit was a shambles until i watched that exhibition of pass-the-parcel yesterday. i really, really hope i am wrong but at the moment promotion by any means appears to be over the rainbow and far away

We did force him into a save, but that’s besides the point. It was a rubbish performance, but we are clearly going to be making more signings and improving further. Most clubs in our league have had a crap result so far in the Betfred, and as things stand we are qualifying. Let’s all relax a little bit eh?

11 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

We did force him into a save, but that’s besides the point. It was a rubbish performance, but we are clearly going to be making more signings and improving further. Most clubs in our league have had a crap result so far in the Betfred, and as things stand we are qualifying. Let’s all relax a little bit eh?

signings like messrs mcginty and gordon - i will hold fire on young jack storey after his strike against morton, and craig slater looks a cracking acquisition - were supposed to be an improvement; when you see what an attractive attacking side ian mccall has assembled on a far smaller budget you have to wonder if the decline can be arrested. as i said, after over 60 years i pray i am wrong and that archie does, in fact, know what he is about

Edited by robphil
misspellings

Positives from today, we hope to have the training academy open for June next year. David McParland knew a couple of months back of the name.

Plans in place for residential accommodation and a "safe standing" area at Bing end. No timescale, as economically not the correct time.

Looking for D Midfielder, we hope to have a player in next week (no position stated).

Negatives

A McC suspended for first league game.

1 hour ago, robphil said:

That the keeper had little to do was mainly to do with finishing. We made 5 or 6 very good chances, slmost all of which were headed over the bar. At least 1, and probably 2 or 3 really should have been scored.

2 hours ago, Hankey said:

Absolute rubbish and I should know as I was there!

Yes there was laughing from fans and board as there were some lighthearted moments - is that okay with you and your associate or should we all walk around with our faces tripping us?

The remark you refer to was just a quick one in a lull and it was made by one of our hardest working fans.

Archie was quite clear that improvement was needed.

The club official was simply asking who wanted to ask a question so people got their turn, he did have a few pre prepared question which were again used in lulls and then prompted other questions.

I am all for healthy debate but having posts which have some loose association with the facts does help - negative nonsense just for the sake of it does not help anyone.

• Like 5