Questions for Archie

ThickAsThieves

3 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

Let's hope the economically correct time never arrives. Every time mention is made of Firhill being turned into a housing scheme, I feel slightly ashamed of the football club I've loved since I was a very small boy.

Would you rather the ground lay unused?

4 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

Let's hope the economically correct time never arrives. Every time mention is made of Firhill being turned into a housing scheme, I feel slightly ashamed of the football club I've loved since I was a very small boy.

Could "residential accomodation" be more student residences? Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect at the other end of the ground.

45 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

The systematic destruction of Firhill has been horrible to watch. Every time with the tag line of providing long term financial security for the Club. And every time the financial stability has hardly lasted a decade.

The funny thing is, if previous Directors hadn't have needed to sell off parts of the ground to cover for their financial mismanagement, we probably would have had enough spare land to rebuild as a 6-8000 capacity stadium with training facilities on site. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

Could "residential accomodation" be more student residences? Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect at the other end of the ground.

The area of the ground to the north of the pitch was always much bigger than  to the south. While I disliked that finances at the time virtually dictated that some of that space be sold, the fact that the new north stand and the flats that were built on the sold land were separate made the outcome tolerable, I suppose. There's a lot less space at the south end than there was at the north, so it's almost certain that these plans that exist for the "development" of the city end of the ground involve a block of flats with a crap football stand bolted onto the back of them. Partick Thistle FC is a football club, not a housing association.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Do tell.

Not to steal my fellow poster's thunder but a gentleman pointed out that Storer had a prolonged bit of shouting at the ref on Saturday and asked if Archie had spoken to him about this. Archie stated that Jack had got himself a bit of a reputation which is why some clubs nearer to home for him did not take a chance oh him. We know there is a talent in there but we need to manage the other side as well and need to remember he is still young.

3 hours ago, ScottyDFA said:

I appreciate not everyone will share this view, but give me a a small safe standing stand with accommodation built on the back to complete our ground, over 3 stands and an embarrassing grassy mound at one end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roque said:

I appreciate not everyone will share this view, but give me a a small safe standing stand with accommodation built on the back to complete our ground, over 3 stands and an embarrassing grassy mound at one end.

Would a small safe standing stand with no accommodation built on the back make you feel better, or does property tycoonery have to figure in the plan to make it sit right with you? Genuine question.

1 hour ago, Roque said:

My problem with that would be the safe standing area could be at such a low elevation it would prove unpopular. That said PTFC with a multi million state of the art training complex and the Firhill Bing don't exactly match up. Kinda like having a house with a spanking new conservatory round the back and the windows boarded up at the front.

7 minutes ago, ScottyDFA said:

Would a small safe standing stand with no accommodation built on the back make you feel better, or does property tycoonery have to figure in the plan to make it sit right with you? Genuine question.

In an ideal world it wouldn't figure in at all, and we'd have a safe-standing terrace/stand for 1,000-1,500 at the city end with nothing else included.

I'm realistic, though. The people we sold that land to won't make any kind of return on something which would only have a benefit to Partick Thistle, and not them.

Maybe Colin Weir's next act of generosity towards the club could be to buy out the propco shysters, but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My problem with that would be the safe standing area could be at such a low elevation it would prove unpopular. That said PTFC with a multi million state of the art training complex and the Firhill Bing don't exactly match up. Kinda like having a house with a spanking new conservatory round the back and the windows boarded up at the front.

I don't know how steep & narrow stands factor in with regards to "safe standing" sections in stadiums, but ideally it would be as steep as possible, to try and hide whatever apartment block ends up connected to the back of it.

4 hours ago, Roque said:

In an ideal world it wouldn't figure in at all, and we'd have a safe-standing terrace/stand for 1,000-1,500 at the city end with nothing else included.

I'm realistic, though. The people we sold that land to won't make any kind of return on something which would only have a benefit to Partick Thistle, and not them.

Maybe Colin Weir's next act of generosity towards the club could be to buy out the propco shysters, but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

If I remember correctly, they've been awarding themselves 5% per annum since the money was put up.

44 minutes ago, potty trained said:

The Keown situation needs resolved. For team spirit at least. I can't fault the guy. He has a contract and every right to sit on it. But one injury and he's straight in as a first team regular earning a premiership wage surrounded by guys who took a cut. 

Why does he not have a relegation clause? Who sanctioned this? Obviously I'm asking these questions out loud but it strikes me as a ridiculously poor decision. If we can't move him on- or he  doesn't sign reduced terms-then we won't be able to get players in.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Why does he not have a relegation clause? Who sanctioned this? Obviously I'm asking these questions out loud but it strikes me as a ridiculously poor decision. If we can't move him on- or he  doesn't sign reduced terms-then we won't be able to get players in.

The same reason Barton and Storey didn't. Crazy decisions made when the contracts were given out

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Agree with the substance of your point, two observations though :

1. Perhaps the players concerned would not sign if there was a relegation clause inserted.

2. The reduction to Storeys wages, and the departure of Barton has not led to getting players in!

The Keown situation is ridiculous and entirely down to the club.  If we don't get an offer for him then we either pay him Premiership wages to play for us or we pay him Premiership wages to train with us but don't play him.  Given the numbers we have, and the relative quality of Keown versus McGinty,  it is reckless & stupid not to be playing him every week. it would also put him in the shop window for a transfer.

• Like 1