Message From Chief Exec

Fawlty Towers

Listened to that carefully. My albeit homespun journalistic past would query the "why" rather than the content. There's a feeling throughout of closing the rank. That in itself is no bad thing and something I personally would welcome. Apart from the underlining of a 22 man squad (rather sparse?) there's nothing the least bit contentious about the interview.

So if little in content you could ask yourself the "why" and the "why now". I can't draw a conclusion, just a guess to likelihood.

15 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So if little in content you could ask yourself the "why" and the "why now". I can't draw a conclusion, just a guess to likelihood.

Looked to me like the failure to sign anyone in the last week made them feel like they had to communicate something to the supporters.

Made me think that the 2 we lost out on were potentially the ones Archie really wanted and perhaps doesn't have ready alternatives. I think he'll be back to the drawing board and trailing the lower English leagues hence the comment about the English transfer window closing earlier creating opportunities.

I assume one of them was Brian Graham and at a guess the other was Don Cowie?

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

Looked to me like the failure to sign anyone in the last week made them feel like they had to communicate something to the supporters.

Made me think that the 2 we lost out on were potentially the ones Archie really wanted and perhaps doesn't have ready alternatives. I think he'll be back to the drawing board and trailing the lower English leagues hence the comment about the English transfer window closing earlier creating opportunities.

I assume one of them was Brian Graham and at a guess the other was Don Cowie?

Not an unlikely scenario, laukat. More unlikely of course when you mention individual players. Regardless, you raise an interesting hypothetical question. Alan Archibald selects a handful of players the Club can afford. For whatever reason said players don't sign on. Not that blame is the right word but who comes under the greater fire for our stagnancy in the recruitment market? The Club or the Manager? 

How often have we read newly signed players saying they had better offers elsewhere but still signed for us? Stands then to reason that a fair amount of target players have had better offers from elsewhere and have not signed for us. Strongly believe the manager can be held to account for the players he signs. I don't tho' see how he can be faulted for identifying players he wants but don't sign. Judging by so many other posts I've read I seem to be in the minority re that opinion.

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Strongly believe the manager can be held to account for the players he signs. I don't tho' see how he can be faulted for identifying players he wants but don't sign.

Agree with most of you post however the part I think he can be held accountable for is having workable alternatives. We'll be in a group of teams that are bidding for similar players with similar budgets so the chances of getting your first or second targets are slim so having alternatives is key. To be starting the season with key positions unfilled is poor particularly when we have such notoriously poor start of season form under Archie.

To my mind the only difference between staying in the premier league and the championship made to our signings was how successful we were in getting our number1 target as opposed to our number 2 or 3.

Beyond target identification you have to wonder why we are so far behind other teams in securing our targets. Whilst Dundee United, Ross County maybe able to spend more and Livingston, Hamilton and St Mirren can offer SPL football you have to wonder if some players are not attracted to Firhill as they think we might struggle this season?

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not an unlikely scenario, laukat. More unlikely of course when you mention individual players. Regardless, you raise an interesting hypothetical question. Alan Archibald selects a handful of players the Club can afford. For whatever reason said players don't sign on. Not that blame is the right word but who comes under the greater fire for our stagnancy in the recruitment market? The Club or the Manager? 

How often have we read newly signed players saying they had better offers elsewhere but still signed for us? Stands then to reason that a fair amount of target players have had better offers from elsewhere and have not signed for us. Strongly believe the manager can be held to account for the players he signs. I don't tho' see how he can be faulted for identifying players he wants but don't sign. Judging by so many other posts I've read I seem to be in the minority re that opinion.

It really depends how far the deals get along the road.  

If they get to he point that prospective signings meet Archie/shaggy surelybpart of their role is to “sell” the club to those players.   If after the sales pitch, the player does not sign, then I think the blame needs to be shared by all involved in trying to get the deal over the line, including the manager. 

I also agree that the lack of alternatives is not reflecting well, especially as it is a repeat behaviour happening pre season after pre season  Gerry even said something along the lines of there being “plenty players of sufficient quality out there”  

The injuries record of last season must be offputting to any player aware of how short a career he's likely to have. The obvious fact that nothing was done about it other than sacking players also suggests that players, rather than their management, will be made to pay if things go wrong. Given alternative clubs, who would choose to take those risks?

We may end up even more dependent on youngsters coming from Thistle-Weir, like McCarthy and Fitzpatrick. In the longer run, that could be a good thing, but the price to be paid for keeping the management as it is could be another relegation. ☹️

On 03/08/2018 at 10:12 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Listened to that carefully. My albeit homespun journalistic past would query the "why" rather than the content. There's a feeling throughout of closing the rank. That in itself is no bad thing and something I personally would welcome. Apart from the underlining of a 22 man squad (rather sparse?) there's nothing the least bit contentious about the interview.

Perhaps he and the board are more switched on to the mood music of the fans than i thought. They realise there's a movement amongst fans who were previously pro archie against the archie out fans. Pretty much every jaggy fan i know feels archie jas run his race, only two want to wait and see. Perhaps gerry is aware of fans mood

9 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Perhaps he and the board are more switched on to the mood music of the fans than i thought. They realise there's a movement amongst fans who were previously pro archie against the archie out fans. Pretty much every jaggy fan i know feels archie jas run his race, only two want to wait and see. Perhaps gerry is aware of fans mood

Was thinking slightly differently but you could well be in the right area. Certainly don't believe Archie should be standing alone re the players we've tried to sign and for whatever reason have failed to. Hence the "we're all in this together" flavour.

The manager tho' has to take sole responsibility for the players we have signed, formation, tactics etc and that at this moment in time is clearly looking woeful. The Club as a whole should share the criticism for what must have been our weakest ever bench to start the season with.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was thinking slightly differently but you could well be in the right area. Certainly don't believe Archie should be standing alone re the players we've tried to sign and for whatever reason have failed to. Hence the "we're all in this together" flavour.

The manager tho' has to take sole responsibility for the players we have signed, formation, tactics etc and that at this moment in time is clearly looking woeful. The Club as a whole should share the criticism for what must have been our weakest ever bench to start the season with.

Agree very much. Collective blame. Solutions are harder to find especially if gerry britton and archie are pals.

I doubt us as fans can have any power to influence a boards decision towards management change, it's not the '80's when fans seems in a stronger position to effect change at a club, or perhaps my past glorious era glasses are steamed up.

4 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Agree very much. Collective blame. Solutions are harder to find especially if gerry britton and archie are pals.

I doubt us as fans can have any power to influence a boards decision towards management change, it's not the '80's when fans seems in a stronger position to effect change at a club, or perhaps my past glorious era glasses are steamed up.

If crowds fall away they’ll soon have to make a decision. If results continue on a downward spiral that day won’t be far away.

Edited by jagfox

6 minutes ago, jagfox said:

If crowds fall away they’ll soon have to make a decision. If results continue on a downward spiral that day won’t be far away.

Ha, but if they still have £600k sitting in an off shore account somewhere perhaps they'll rough it out. I've never put much stock in a board being forced into a decision cos a few hundred stop going. 

Also i def don't want it to get to the stage we are protesting at games the way it was in the 80'sbthat does noone amy good but it feels we might be getting to that stage. Someone posted last night about a door step protest. I'd hate for that to happen to archie and shaggy but that might be what it takes for change.

In the main i believe the successive boards for the last 6 years have been pretty solid overall but they are now ditthering. Hopefully they read forums but i doubt it