Archie out - Now or Never.

stuart_adam

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

And if we don't, we don't. That's just the way it goes. I've supported thistle for 30 years, so I'm a wee bit less demanding of instant/constant success. 

I've cheered, I've boo'd. By Christ in the DC era did I really fckin boo'd! I've seen an array of hapless boardrooms, I've seen arrogant boardrooms. This is the first time I've seen a professional one. 

I'd rather spend my time supporting the players and manager, it's better for the soul. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The world won't stop spinning, I'll still be a Jag next season and the season after that. 

Currently we’re not any better as a team than DC’s era.

Rubbish to watch

No skill

Terrible form

Poor results 

We also have the fans very unhappy and staying away again something that happened under DC, difference is it costs us more at the gate than then

14 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Currently we’re not any better as a team than DC’s era.

Rubbish to watch

No skill

Terrible form

Poor results 

We also have the fans very unhappy and staying away again something that happened under DC, difference is it costs us more at the gate than then

Are you seriously trying to say the team under Dick Campbell was of similar quality to the one we have today? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, potty trained said:

And if we don't, we don't. That's just the way it goes. I've supported thistle for 30 years, so I'm a wee bit less demanding of instant/constant success. 

I've cheered, I've boo'd. By Christ in the DC era did I really fckin boo'd! I've seen an array of hapless boardrooms, I've seen arrogant boardrooms. This is the first time I've seen a professional one. 

I'd rather spend my time supporting the players and manager, it's better for the soul. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The world won't stop spinning, I'll still be a Jag next season and the season after that. 

Fair play to you, good post. I've another 15 years on your 30 so i too have been through the wringer but like everyone on here it's in the blood and none of us are going anywhere else bar firhill

I make this point, i'm as well placed as anyone to be able to see when the ship is sinking. I've seen it too often, and this ship is sinking. I too hope archie turns it round but all the facts suggest he can't and won't. Thats just how i see it playing out, i hope you are right, i hope sandy is right.....i just don't believe.

Yes, the world won't stop spinning but i'm as dizzy as feck and i wanna get off, right fecking now before it's too late.

Will you still be so pragmatic if archie takes us down to the 1st division?

12 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Fair play to you, good post. I've another 15 years on your 30 so i too have been through the wringer but like everyone on here it's in the blood and none of us are going anywhere else bar firhill

I make this point, i'm as well placed as anyone to be able to see when the ship is sinking. I've seen it too often, and this ship is sinking. I too hope archie turns it round but all the facts suggest he can't and won't. Thats just how i see it playing out, i hope you are right, i hope sandy is right.....i just don't believe.

Yes, the world won't stop spinning but i'm as dizzy as feck and i wanna get off, right fecking now before it's too late.

Will you still be so pragmatic if archie takes us down to the 1st division?

Regardless of how poor we may get. We won't get relegated. If a decision is made further down the line regarding Archie, it will be made in plenty of time. 

42 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Regardless of how poor we may get. We won't get relegated. If a decision is made further down the line regarding Archie, it will be made in plenty of time. 

I would actually give Archie a bit longer, til day earl December and see how we do once the transfer window is shut and the team gels. That said, the attitude we won’t get relegated is a very dangerous one to have. We have seen it far too often before, so how you can say that is beyond me. I just hope the board don’t have that attitude! 

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Pish :- any view which differs from your own.

That's just p!sh...

Seriously though, I don't agree. There are reasonable posts on here giving balanced justifications why it is now the right time to change the manager. And there are reasonable posts defending his position and suggesting he should be given more time.

And both are drowning in a tsunami of p!sh.

1 hour ago, mad-jag said:

I would actually give Archie a bit longer, til day earl December and see how we do once the transfer window is shut and the team gels. That said, the attitude we won’t get relegated is a very dangerous one to have. We have seen it far too often before, so how you can say that is beyond me. I just hope the board don’t have that attitude! 

It's happened twice in my 30 years.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

That's just p!sh...

Seriously though, I don't agree. There are reasonable posts on here giving balanced justifications why it is now the right time to change the manager. And there are reasonable posts defending his position and suggesting he should be given more time.

And both are drowning in a tsunami of p!sh.

Tsunami = word of the day 

10 hours ago, jaf said:

No one can really predict how this season will turn out until the squad is finalised.

The disappointing thing is that the squad is so far away from being finalised on the cusp of league game two.

I understand the rhetoric that the English window shutting early will create opportunities, but we are in uncharted territory with that, and just as equally the opposite might be the fact. Certainly this market distortion has not stopped 3 other teams in our league signing 10+ players already.

I have always supported Archie, and I suppose, on reflection, we should wait and see how his squad ends up, and then judge him a few games after. It is with great disappointment that I do not expect him to meet expectations this season though. I hope I am wrong, I will take no delight in it, and like PT, whatever happens next season I will be supporting our team.

I can totally understand the frustration of some, but we all have opinions, passionately held, but no one is more right than someone else - we all have the good of Thistle at heart.

Reading this thread takes me back to OLAS days when there were often great big scraps between people online (was it Barry Clark v someone that was the pinnacle of that?!). People have opinions, but the only opinions which will decide the fate of Archie are those of the Board, and of course that may well be influenced by supporter viewpoints but it will ultimately take into account many other factors, we are not aware of (not least budgeting issues, rightly or wrongly).

So, if you accept, we all have opinions but none are more right than others (as they are simply opinions), we all want our team to thrive, and the future of Archie is not within our (as supporters) direct control. For me, that means a lot of virtual blood is being spilled on this and other threads needlessly.

As a final point, the support for the team until the second goal last Saturday was actually very good. The singing was strong and supportive. The argument that the fans negativity feed onto the players is a valid one, but equally the players have a responsibility not to lose the fans support which I am sure on Saturday, like Saturday past, will be there from the first minute until the players performances or tactics cause it to be entirely eroded. I am sure we all hope that there is no erosion!

Agree with this.

22 hours ago, jaf said:

No one can really predict how this season will turn out until the squad is finalised.

The disappointing thing is that the squad is so far away from being finalised on the cusp of league game two.

I understand the rhetoric that the English window shutting early will create opportunities, but we are in uncharted territory with that, and just as equally the opposite might be the fact. Certainly this market distortion has not stopped 3 other teams in our league signing 10+ players already.

I have always supported Archie, and I suppose, on reflection, we should wait and see how his squad ends up, and then judge him a few games after. It is with great disappointment that I do not expect him to meet expectations this season though. I hope I am wrong, I will take no delight in it, and like PT, whatever happens next season I will be supporting our team.

I can totally understand the frustration of some, but we all have opinions, passionately held, but no one is more right than someone else - we all have the good of Thistle at heart.

Reading this thread takes me back to OLAS days when there were often great big scraps between people online (was it Barry Clark v someone that was the pinnacle of that?!). People have opinions, but the only opinions which will decide the fate of Archie are those of the Board, and of course that may well be influenced by supporter viewpoints but it will ultimately take into account many other factors, we are not aware of (not least budgeting issues, rightly or wrongly).

So, if you accept, we all have opinions but none are more right than others (as they are simply opinions), we all want our team to thrive, and the future of Archie is not within our (as supporters) direct control. For me, that means a lot of virtual blood is being spilled on this and other threads needlessly.

As a final point, the support for the team until the second goal last Saturday was actually very good. The singing was strong and supportive. The argument that the fans negativity feed onto the players is a valid one, but equally the players have a responsibility not to lose the fans support which I am sure on Saturday, like Saturday past, will be there from the first minute until the players performances or tactics cause it to be entirely eroded. I am sure we all hope that there is no erosion!

The highlight of this entire thread: OLAS!

And Red Monkey!

20 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Are you seriously trying to say the team under Dick Campbell was of similar quality to the one we have today? 

Dick Campbell’s team scored some goals.

But joking aside both are crap to watch, and the sales of Season Tickets so far this season reflects that (<1000), it’s not just about seeing a winning team it’s more about seeing and entertaining team, whether speedy attacking or blood and guts “Ger in tae them” football, we have neither.

Slow, square, gutless, boring 

23 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

It was horrible.

But what is it they say, football is a results business - you may recall he was sacked when we sat 6th in the division we are now in, having lost 5 of their last 6 league games?  Will we finish higher than 6th this season?

Edited by jaf

2 hours ago, jaf said:

It was horrible.

But what is it they say, football is a results business - you may recall he was sacked when we sat 6th in the division we are now in, having lost 5 of their last 6 league games?  Will we finish higher than 6th this season?

It is a results business and if Archie needs to go then so be it. However we are not at that stage yet in my opinion. 

My point here is though Archie's teams over his time have been far better than any that Dick Campbell produced. 

32 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

It is a results business and if Archie needs to go then so be it. However we are not at that stage yet in my opinion. 

My point here is though Archie's teams over his time have been far better than any that Dick Campbell produced. 

I don't want to defend DC - why would anyone? But I think it is fair to point out a couple of contextual points if you are going to make that comparison :

. DC inherited a much poorer squad than AA did

. AA has had much much larger budgets than DC did - remember we had to make our chief executive redundant that season too?

4 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Football is a results business. I don't care how we play it's winn8ng that's important. 

Football is an entertainment industry. I can accept us getting beat if we play good football. 

Pick whichever one suits your argument. 

Both are valid arguments - I suppose if you have a team not playing good football AND not winning football matches, that is where you have a problem

I don't get all this obsession with comparing teams ( including ongoing comparisons to the team that got us promotion to the Premier last time ). Its a pointless argument. 

Things are evolving all the time in football.............  different players, different opponents, different budgets available, different playing surfaces, different rules, different standards of refereeing, different tactics, different levels of expectations, players coming from different markets and so on and so on. 

Were the Busby Babes better than the current Man Utd team, were the Lisbon Lions better than the current Celtic team ???

Its comparing apples and pears or oranges and bananas................ whatever the phrase is!!

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

Football is a results business. I don't care how we play it's winn8ng that's important. 

Football is an entertainment industry. I can accept us getting beat if we play good football. 

Pick whichever one suits your argument. 

The argument many are puting forward is that we're getting neither.