gordon and spitall just will not do 

they do not impose themselves on the game

paddy mcginty nope

penrice play him left midfield

big tam at the back make him skipper  no reflection on dools

this lad fans have been raving about him he signs for us and wallop he's p***

storey worked his b**** off today  but nothing came of it

listened to a few supporters behind decrying erskine and doolan

if you listen to doolan on jagzone  the preview about todays game maybe some supporters would give these guys a break

doolan especially talks about the way we play  ball down the wing then a cross into the box

he thinks maybe we should be playing more direct through the centre and btw it's not the first time senior players have been saying this

felt a bit for the young lad that was brought into the team today made an erse of it and they score a second

archie and scott good guys but the baw is burst its been great while it lasted but..................

as my grandfather (wattie) always said nobody is bigger than the club

onwards and upwards    :thumbsup2:

we can and should be better than this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just back from Ayr, absolute shambles , we must be the worst prepared team in the league, couldn't even fill the bench with a full quota of substitutes  with Aidan Fitzpatrick as the only player that could come on and make a  difference .

The players aren't fit enough , what happened to the pressing game that was started under McNamara , does anyone know what system we prefer just now ?

Recruitment has been an absolute shambles , example let's replace Andy McCarthy who we've coached and developed for a number of years and replace with a Motherwell under 20 s player ( Shea Gordon )  , IMO Mcarthy looks the better player .

Dools looks as if he's still carrying the knee injury from last year as he's playing at half pace but probably doing us a favour as there is no one else to come in.

Listened to Gerry Britton's interview on the website and obviously he's trying to put a positive spin on everything but the reality is the supporters aren't daft , they can see what is happening  on the park and if we finish out of the bottom 2 with that team we'll being doing well . 

If our new chief executive had any balls he would dismantle the old pals act that exists within the Club and that includes The Academy staff as well and start again and finally Alan Archibald should do the honourable thing and resign , he's taken us as far as he can

As the previous poster said our club is far more important than any individual .

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 1

i would think but not knowing our chairperson that she has the proverbial b**** to do what's required

i would also like to believe that she reads these comments on this web page

as i've said  we are all thistle supporters ,all jags fans, but we can't go on the way it's been going

it's all about getting bums on seats and i'm afraid what we have been watching recently a'int hacking it

1 hour ago, watties wallies said:

thought i would start a just in thread been missing for a while

let's start with the positives

fitzpatrick looks a real prospect clever player 

well that's that

the negatives

gordon and spitall just will not do 

they do not impose themselves on the game

paddy mcginty nope

penrice play him left midfield

big tam at the back make him skipper  no reflection on dools

this lad fans have been raving about him he signs for us and wallop he's p***

storey worked his b**** off today  but nothing came of it

listened to a few supporters behind decrying erskine and doolan

if you listen to doolan on jagzone  the preview about todays game maybe some supporters would give these guys a break

doolan especially talks about the way we play  ball down the wing then a cross into the box

he thinks maybe we should be playing more direct through the centre and btw it's not the first time senior players have been saying this

felt a bit for the young lad that was brought into the team today made an erse of it and they score a second

archie and scott good guys but the baw is burst its been great while it lasted but..................

as my grandfather (wattie) always said nobody is bigger than the club

onwards and upwards    :thumbsup2:

we can and should be better than this

I'm out of likes. What WW says

My review of the players today.

Bell- Decent. Not really to blame for the goals. Did nothing wrong.

Melbourne- Totally hung out to dry at right back when clearly not suited. Shocking decision from Archibald.

O'ware- This guy is excellent and should be captain.

McGinty- Abysmal footballer. We seemed to have signed him because he played with Balatoni in a relegated side from the fifth tier in England. The least imposing 6 foot 4 footballer I've ever seen. Careless with and without the ball.

Penrice- I think my Gran is a better athlete and she is 86. What do the sport scientists actually do?

Spittal- Par for the course, totally innocuous.

Gordon- Things have gone rapidly downhill after the opening six minutes at Stenny.

Slater- One of our better players

Erskine- Seems pretty much finished to me. Really struggles to impose himself on the game.

Storey- Runs fast down the wing,crosses it and it hits the first man. Repeat for 90 minutes and multiply by 36.

Doolan- Forget he is playing these days. Our system of play at the moment makes him fairly useless.

Fitzpatrick- Did more in 30 seconds than the rest of our attackers did in the whole game.

Major changes needed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

I’d still sign for us - I’m a supporter - and I only have one knee, so would play for free, BUT - I’d try like feck. That’s the missing link I fear.

With the record of our physio staff I fear for your other knee however if you can play a slow sideways pass you meet most of the necessary qualities. Now if you can show us a playing record consisting of numerous lower league english clubs we never heard of and a goal scoring record that has more zero's than the japanese airforce then you'll be starting in place of Doolan for the rest of the season

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I spoke to McCall fleetingly during the week. He was quietly confident and said we just pass the ball square all the time.

he said they had signed 3 or 4 ‘great players’. Why could we not have signed them instead of the diddies(OWAre excepted) that Archie has signed?

37 minutes ago, David Brent said:

My review of the players today.

Bell- Decent. Not really to blame for the goals. Did nothing wrong.

Melbourne- Totally hung out to dry at right back when clearly not suited. Shocking decision from Archibald.

O'ware- This guy is excellent and should be captain.

McGinty- Abysmal footballer. We seemed to have signed him because he played with Balatoni in a relegated side from the fifth tier in England. The least imposing 6 foot 4 footballer I've ever seen. Careless with and without the ball.

Penrice- I think my Gran is a better athlete and she is 86. What do the sport scientists actually do?

Spittal- Par for the course, totally innocuous.

Gordon- Things have gone rapidly downhill after the opening six minutes at Stenny.

Slater- One of our better players

Erskine- Seems pretty much finished to me. Really struggles to impose himself on the game.

Storey- Runs fast down the wing,crosses it and it hits the first man. Repeat for 90 minutes and multiply by 36.

Doolan- Forget he is playing these days. Our system of play at the moment makes him fairly useless.

Fitzpatrick- Did more in 30 seconds than the rest of our attackers did in the whole game.

Major changes needed.

Excellent summary....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I spoke to McCall fleetingly during the week. He was quietly confident and said we just pass the ball square all the time.

he said they had signed 3 or 4 ‘great players’. Why could we not have signed them instead of the diddies(OWAre excepted) that Archie has signed?

Has there ever been a Thistle team that simply passes the ball sideways so many times in every game? What is the point in that? I'd genuinely like to know.

Strange time to be talking about sideways passing. Unless I was at a different game yesterday we spent most of the time lumping the ball upfield, especially when we went with two up in the 2nd half.  If drawn on the subject I'm all in favour of McGinty's sideways passing. The ensuing punts up the park from O'Ware or Penrice up the percentages somewhat. Sadly that's only going from 1% to 20% that the ball will find its way to another Jags player.

Very disappointing start to the season. Weak in a number of positions.

Archie really did drop a clanger putting Melbourne at right back. Spittal may lack a bit of pace to play there but he has done okay in the past. He really should have held his hands up on this in interviews after the match.

We lost the battle in the center of the park and a lot of that was down to Gordon. Ran about a lot with little purpose. His lack of experience really counted against him. Think in time he could be good at this level but a lot of work needs to done on how he reads the game. McCarthy will be back in against Falkirk.

Let’s not underestimate Ayr – they are not going to at the bottom of the table. Much more likely to be top six. They have a settled team who know each other’s games well and it really showed.

Got to be said – both Erskine and Doolan were poor. We need much more from them.

Archie really needs to bring in quality with the final positions left in the squad. We really need a big striker to give us options in attack.

We need other options than Mcginty at the back also as the jury is still out on him. I actually thought that he played better than last week. He somehow escaped criticism for a very poor performance. 

• Like 1

McGinty giving away the penalty may well be poor but you have to question Penrice's failure seconds before to make a routine tackle/block. 

Btw more of an aside than anything but both games against Ayr have been the easiest games to referee.  I suppose us not having many (if any) capable of making a strong tackle helps.

7 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Very disappointing start to the season. Weak in a number of positions.

Archie really did drop a clanger putting Melbourne at right back. Spittal may lack a bit of pace to play there but he has done okay in the past. He really should have held his hands up on this in interviews after the match.

We lost the battle in the center of the park and a lot of that was down to Gordon. Ran about a lot with little purpose. His lack of experience really counted against him. Think in time he could be good at this level but a lot of work needs to done on how he reads the game. McCarthy will be back in against Falkirk.

Let’s not underestimate Ayr – they are not going to at the bottom of the table. Much more likely to be top six. They have a settled team who know each other’s games well and it really showed.

Got to be said – both Erskine and Doolan were poor. We need much more from them.

Archie really needs to bring in quality with the final positions left in the squad. We really need a big striker to give us options in attack.

We need other options than Mcginty at the back also as the jury is still out on him. I actually thought that he played better than last week. He somehow escaped criticism for a very poor performance. 

Archie is a man under pressure clearly, and one who normally displays a certain pragmatic class about him but I totally agree it lacked class not to hold his hands up to a terrrible selection error. Driving to game wehen Mrs jaf read me the team I assumed we would be 3 at the back with Melbourne and spittal as wing backs.  That would have made more sense than the shambles of putting the young lad at right back. 

Inalso whleheartedly agree with you the doolan and erskine, but it is no surprise to me. Both have barely kicked a ball yet this season.  It was interesting in particular to note doolans interview on jagzone before the game where he said captaincy is about much more than bawling and shouting. That seemed a dig at us. However Alan Stubbs said on radio last night (after his team won) that he was want happy how quiet they were and he needs to get some more vocal players in. There is no encouragement and no displays of passion. A team but in the image of their manager and captain. A team going through the motions.  And the problem is after 5 games of being below average we cannot even drop doolan as he is our only striker.  It’s utter madness. 

The other thing I have noticed is that out shape has gone completely  you used to look at the team and everyone’s positional discipline meant that you could see the shape of the tram with ease.  Not now - they are a mess positionally  

I think ayr are pretty average. But they are way better than us. Way better.  O ware is our only player that would get in their team I think (perhaps bell too) and so 4 players won’t be anywhere near enough to save us.  

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Strange time to be talking about sideways passing. Unless I was at a different game yesterday we spent most of the time lumping the ball upfield, especially when we went with two up in the 2nd half.  If drawn on the subject I'm all in favour of McGinty's sideways passing. The ensuing punts up the park from O'Ware or Penrice up the percentages somewhat. Sadly that's only going from 1% to 20% that the ball will find its way to another Jags player.

At Firhill, Ayr were quite happy when 2 up to allow Thistle possesion and to pass sideways and backwards. But McCall saw our game and changed it so that Ayr kept pressing and more often than not there was no room for the second sideways pass. Anyone could have seen from the games so far that we've no-one up front to even lump balls to.