Kids Go Free Supersized

BowenBoys

47 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a really bad idea?

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/kids-go-free-with-mcdonalds-maryhill/

The club will jump into bed with anyone for a couple of quid.

This isn't a new idea. They have been quite a major stadium sponsor for a few years. They were programme sponsor in the 90s. 

At least McDonalds have some healthy options. Which is more than can be said for our pie stalls. 

Think this has gone un-noticed with all the melt-down elsewhere?

I too have reservations, to say the least, about a fast food company using Thistle to help clean up their reputation but in this modern world it's the norm. With all the social media furore going on around the club maybe McDonalds could reciprocate and show Thistle how to handle their PR. :crazy:

31 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Nothing wrong with it.  

I like a McDonalds and take my neice and nephew as a treat.  It's personal choice.  Rather eat that than a pie.

The big problem is what people eat in the house and it's easy to find out what you should or shouldn't eat.

Do do do do dooooooh.

McDonalds business plan does not rely on the occasional customer who comes in every few months for a "treat". They want people (children) to have the McDonald's habit. Go in to any outlet just after the schools come out and they are packed. Parents take their children as a reward for "good" behaviour, as an easy way of getting their children to eat or as an affordable "treat". The happy meal toys are no more than an enticement to encourage repeat business. Going for a McDonalds is becoming a regular event for many families and is an insidious change in eationg habits which is unhealthy.

I would rather Thistle did not use McDonalds as an income stream, especially for a project aimed specifically at children.

Edited by scotty

53 minutes ago, scotty said:

McDonalds business plan does not rely on the occasional customer who comes in every few months for a "treat". They want people (children) to have the McDonald's habit. Go in to any outlet just after the schools come out and they are packed. Parents take their children as a reward for "good" behaviour, as an easy way of getting their children to eat or as an affordable "treat". The happy meal toys are no more than an enticement to encourage repeat business. Going for a McDonalds is becoming a regular event for many families and is an insidious change in eationg habits which is unhealthy.

I would rather Thistle did not use McDonalds as an income stream, especially for a project aimed specifically at children.

I take my kids for the occasional McDonald’s. I know it’s crap that they are eating, just as it is when I am running in the door at 5.30 and the quickest thing to cook for tea is sausage and beans. There is plenty of unhealthy food being bought in supermarkets on a far more regular basis.

I appreciate the point you are making, but we play in a league sponsored by a bookie, have had plenty games shown on sky (who you could argue have dubious morals), were sponsored by a hedge fund, pretty sure we have/had carlsberg and Greggs advertising around the ground....

there are lots of things which might not sit well with everyone, but I don’t think McDonald’s is any worse than anything mentioned above, and Scottish football is a long long way from being able to take moral high ground when it comes to advertising, so to be quite frank, I am happy to take their sponsorship money. 

I’m ok with McDonald’s sponsoring this.

i try to get my kids to eat healthy but they are allowed chocolate, sugary drinks and a take away- all treats.

Treats are good. I love a McDonald’s in moderation.

If you ban things they become irresistible.

better that than where I live where the parents hand alcohol to their teens and let them go to the park to get jaked 

ive never been punched in the face by a 15 year old in Newton Mearns as he was full of burgers.......

Kids Go Free has been running for 9 years without a dedicated sponsor. There is nothing in the club statement to suggest that having a sponsor is necessary for the scheme to continue. So, for the club it is just extra income. For McDonalds it is an opportunity to have their brand directly linked to the clubs under 16 aged supporters. Effectively the club are endorsing the use of the product by it's young fans.

There is a long standing problem with healthy eating in the West of Scotland. McDonalds aren't the problem, they are part of the problem. Over the last 9 years the club could, and should, have engaged with the local council and not for profit groups to promote the health and wellbeing of children using the Kids Go Free scheme. It would have been a positive force. Instead, suddenly, we have this.

Nobody is saying McDonalds should be banned. An occasional fast food meal isn't bad, per se. I agree with pt that McDonalds is probably a healthier option than our in house catering. That is a shocking inditement. However, an under 16 supporters club endorsing a fast food restaurant chain is, in my opinion, sending out the wrong message.

The Club make claims to be part of the 'community'. How does this manifest itself? We have the Community Champion award at home games (sponsored by McDonalds). What other tangible links with the community exist?

Much is made of the difficulty of trying to grow a club in a city which is home to two massive competitors. We can't compete (on many levels) with them so we should offer an alternative. Not just lip service (the Great Glasgow Alternative...). We should strike out on our own and offer something progressive and bold. Look to a bright future for our club and it's community.

I am a great admirer of the work being done, in England, by Forest Green Rovers. I'm not suggesting that we could achieve what they have but we could take small steps in that direction. A positive force. A real alternative. An ethical, 'green' football club for the benefit of staff, supporters, Maryhill and beyond.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/our-ethos

45 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Aye but you wouldn't want him to sit on you.

So is that us made three of the four new signings? Macklin Motors, Label 5 &  Macdonalds.

So do we destroy the planet, become a raging alcoholic or join the obesity epidemic - all sponsors will come with baggage if you really want to search for it.

We play in the Ladbrokes Championship and gambling addictions can ruin lives.

We live in a time when every aspect of our lives is controlled by the state and the media. Sometimes you just have to break free and think for yourself. Everything in moderation is the way to play it.  Encourage kids to live a healthy lifestyle but no need to become a knicker wetter ( see what I did there?? ) over an occasional McDonalds or bar of chocolate. How bland is life becoming for kids.

Take their money its better going to us than the taxman!

• Like 1

Club sources extra income from previously unsponsored initiative. Fans criticise club for failing to agree sponsorship from Roots and Fruits or Epicures of Hyndland. 

Just another day in the life of being a Thistle fan. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

My kid won't go anywhere near a Thistle game. (and that's nothing to do with me) He's 7 and even he realises that we're a lost cause. Couldny even pay him to go. In fact a promise of McDonald's after the game might be the only thing that could tempt him but I very much doubt it. Not be a problem this season anyway as I'll not be back. 

29 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

My kid won't go anywhere near a Thistle game. (and that's nothing to do with me) He's 7 and even he realises that we're a lost cause. Couldny even pay him to go. In fact a promise of McDonald's after the game might be the only thing that could tempt him but I very much doubt it. Not be a problem this season anyway as I'll not be back. 

Your house sounds a right laugh mate. 

Wee man plays football and tennis. Loves sport. Got right into world cup. Go away on surprise holidays and trips. Been to see Leicester, Newcastle, Blackburn, Everton, Tottenham in last 2 seasons. All great in my house. Just a shame the team I was brought up supporting are total and utter gash and are run by an incompetent management team and a delusional board. Would love to take my kid to Firhill but not gonna waste my time and money when there are so many other places we can go and things we can do. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

What does signing up with a gym mean and what do PTFC get out of the deal?  I can sign up if I pay the £61 per month. Nuffield are offering a gym pass in exhange for a match ticket and sponsoring the womens' team's social media. They're getting publicity and pitch-side advertising. What's going the other way.