Thistle vs Falkirk - Relegation Decider?

jagfox

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Very positive performance so far.  Storey dynamic through the middle and using his body well to secure the ball and drive at the opposition. Penrice clever run into the box and deserved the luck with the deflection at the end. No luck about Erskine’s goal. Combined with Christie, beat  X players in trademark run and brilliant finish. He has still got it! 

Christie an inspiring captain. Absolutely bossed his side of the pitch.

Just hope we keep playing positively with well-timed subs and do not revert to a have and hold mentality.

Seems some similarity with the first half v. Morton.  They just need to turn up for the 2nd half now.

Gordon was very good first half. Sat in front of the back 4 and broke up the Falkirk play which in turn helped McGinty enormously who looked very comfortable.

Storey as a the single striker worked very well and in my mind it was between Gordon and Storey for man of the match.

In the first half we were very strong on the right side with Slater, Erskine, Elliot and any Falkirk attack was coming down Penrice's side. In an attempt to counteract this Archie moved Slater to left midfield but that then made us weaker on the right and Falkirk got more joy out of Elliot than they did out of Penrice and a more clinical team would have made us pay.

We really needed to bring on another defensive midfielder and switch to a 4-3-2-1. The limitations off our bench mean the only way of doing that was to put Melbourne on and push Penrice into midfield but I assume Archie didn't want to alter the back 4.

Not sure if we were better or Falkirk are awful. We still need another defensive midfielder, a right back and cover for striker

Positives:

a win!

real hunger and desire and pressing the opposition, something we will need in spades this season

much improved performance from Erskine and Spittal

Slater and Ware looking good

paton getting wound up by the fans!

negatives:

Storey delivering some great crosses into the box with no one talking advantage 

storey been caught offside too often 

Hopefully we avoid a potential banana skin at Stranraer, take the money v Celtic then 2 tough away games to Utd and Dunfermline. Hopefully our “4 signings” are in by then and good ones.

15 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Was he selling tat from a stall outside? #itsnoteasy getting another club. 

Walked by me as I was going up to the JLS and then again at the JHS as I went up to get my ticket for next week.He was wearing a hat couldn't tell you what it said.

Much better performance and a deserved win although Falkirk were a poor side - we are short of players but I prefer giving our youngsters a chance than their job lot of anonymous English Lower League Plodders. O'Ware and Slater are decent signings who are an upgrade on Devine and Edwards...Penrice and Gordon stepped up their games...Spittal and Storer threatened a few times but didn't quite open up their defence.  I'm not convinced that Elliot is good enough at right back nor that Storey is a sole striker...his pace did stretch their defence but he fired in crosses to no one  and was caught offside umpteen times.

Erskine had an excellent game...I'm sure Denis McQuade would have enjoyed seeing the goal...reminiscent of one of his specials.

A moving tribute to the Partick Thistle Legend, David McParland and great to see most of the 1971 team back at Firhill...it brought back some wonderful memories...and reminded me that supporting your team is far more than just about a game.

Jury still out about the prospects for the season.

• Haha 1