Thistle vs Falkirk - Relegation Decider?

jagfox

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That’s great mate - apologies I hadn’t realised that

You can see the flag clearly on the Jagzone (Flagzone?) highlights.

Another thing you also see is how good our second goal was, going all the way back to the middle of our own half and Spittal's crossfield pass which unleashes a rampaging Elliott.

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Changing the subject but you were one of the guys who got the fantastic John Lambie flag for the John Lambie stand - I must admit to being clueless how to get a thing made up but any chance we could also get a Davie McParland one? Would be delighted to contribute 

Great idea. I'd also contribute to that.

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I am sure that Archie was intending Wilson to enjoy his debut seeing out an easy 2 goal win and was not expecting Falkirk's immediate counter.

Having said that the unexpected pressure and the need to take responsibility probably did Wilson the world of good. In the short time available, he won a tackle and combined with Fitzpatrick to keep the ball at the other end of the pitch. 

So there was some point in the substitution, but perhaps not in the way planned.

I get that we want to give the young players experience, however for me it was far more important to win the game. There were still 4 or 5 minutes of play left(incl stoppage time). Putting him on then added 30 secs. If we really needed to take Erskine off we should have brought on Keown.

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Hope you had a good lunch.Never good hearing a Jags supporter losing their appetite for our team.Hope you regain it soon and you are back supporting the Jags.

It’ll return, but scared to jinx us by listening in to the next game.

Having watched the highlights my biggest question is why don’t we try to attack every week? We’re definitely at our best when we run at teams, we have guys capable but normally (Through tactics, or fear) we don’t, hence we’re in the league we are in.

Squiddy was unplayable at times, delighted for him he’s a real Thistle man.

• Like 1

Great win and a very good first half performance. A much needed win and will give the side confidence that has been missing recently.

Huge improvement from Gordon – last week’s match totally passed him by but he played very well in the holding role. When he does turn over play he has the pace to break quickly and he was very effective doing this yesterday.

Storey played well up front on his own – annoying thing was when he went out wide nobody was making runs into the box. We really should have scored more in that first half and buried the match.

The second half panned out a bit as expected and Falkirk pressed hard. They could count themselves unlucky on a few occasions but it would have been a robbery if they had taken anything from the match.

We need to work on how we maintain possession when the other teams are throwing players forward like Falkirk did in the second half. Need to kill the game and not allow them to build pressure up. Limited options on the bench really do not help though.

Erskine was 100% back to his very best – great to see as he was poor last week.

We now have a few cup games to play – hopefully by the time we play Dundee United we will have further strengthened and more players are available.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I get that we want to give the young players experience, however for me it was far more important to win the game. There were still 4 or 5 minutes of play left(incl stoppage time). Putting him on then added 30 secs. If we really needed to take Erskine off we should have brought on Keown.

Throughout last season (and this season v Morton) on occasions when we had a score to protect we were guilty of defending too deep. Too often failing to see a game out. Of course bringing on an extra defender helps shore up the defence but the downside to that is it contributes to the deep defending. Keeping hold of the ball, especially further up the pitch is often as good if not better alternative to bringing on a third centreback. Ideally having an experienced central midfielder coming off the bench offers extra cover without conceding more possession. McCarthy (semi experienced) was unavailable but as it was Wilson did his part in getting the ball up the pitch, which ate up a good bit of time remaining.

If an error was made yesterday then it was in taking off Erskine in the first place. Fairly sure with only minutes remaining Archie subbed him primarily so he'd get cheered off the pitch. That additional applause in itself has an upside given the team's been booed off the park on the last two Saturdays.  

Btw tho' not entirely unrelated, I was impressed with the Falkirk No 15, Scott Harrison yesterday. Thought he was being given too much time on the ball particularly as the game wore on. So maybe he just looked good with the extra space he appeared to get.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Throughout last season (and this season v Morton) on occasions when we had a score to protect we were guilty of defending too deep. Too often failing to see a game out. Of course bringing on an extra defender helps shore up the defence but the downside to that is it contributes to the deep defending. Keeping hold of the ball, especially further up the pitch is often as good if not better alternative to bringing on a third centreback. Ideally having an experienced central midfielder coming off the bench offers extra cover without conceding more possession. McCarthy (semi experienced) was unavailable but as it was Wilson did his part in getting the ball up the pitch, which ate up a good bit of time remaining.

If an error was made yesterday then it was in taking off Erskine in the first place. Fairly sure with only minutes remaining Archie subbed him primarily so he'd get cheered off the pitch. That additional applause in itself has an upside given the team's been booed off the park on the last two Saturdays.  

Btw tho' not entirely unrelated, I was impressed with the Falkirk No 15, Scott Harrison yesterday. Thought he was being given too much time on the ball particularly as the game wore on. So maybe he just looked good with the extra space he appeared to get.

This  :thumbsup2:

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Silly me I meant No 25 Irving. Their No 15 was the nutter that thought Doolan was a bully boy.

10 hours ago, partickthedog said:

You can see the flag clearly on the Jagzone (Flagzone?) highlights.

Another thing you also see is how good our second goal was, going all the way back to the middle of our own half and Spittal's crossfield pass which unleashes a rampaging Elliott.

Thought Spittal had one of his best games for us yesterday.

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It’ll return, but scared to jinx us by listening in to the next game.

Having watched the highlights my biggest question is why don’t we try to attack every week? We’re definitely at our best when we run at teams, we have guys capable but normally (Through tactics, or fear) we don’t, hence we’re in the league we are in.

Squiddy was unplayable at times, delighted for him he’s a real Thistle man.

Good to hear you will be back. Different types of food can satisfy your appetite, but there is only one team that can satisfy your hunger in football.The mighty Partick Thistle.:fan:

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I said Keown cause he was the only experienced player on the bench left. Having the 4 young relatively inexperienced players on(Penrice, Gordon, Fitzpatrick and Wilson) was too risky for me. 

Definitely less was more for Chris Erskine yesterday. From the earlier games I have seen he was trying almost too hard to carry the ball as maybe passing options weren’t up to speed with his style of play. Today he was releasing the ball quickly and making great runs off the ball. Back towards his best which is a boost as I was worrying his better days were maybe behind him. On that form he will be a key player for the team going forward.

I thought McGinty was a lot better today than recent games. Under pressure a bit at the end of the game but I guess that was down to tactics/ being forced back at that stage. Hopefully he can get a consistency of performance.

Played better yesterday, first half especially but no idea why the second half resorted to type again . Don’ t know if it is a fitness problem but a poor Falkirk almost got a point out of it.

Best game Squiddy has had for ages , Slater played well and Dools looked sharp when he came on. Still a bit to go IMO 

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

My ICT pals are having a good time. This guy we have signed is a total diddy apparently. Fantastic. 

Perhaps the signing thread might be better for this?

But as you are making your first post in this thread since the final whistle yesterday  what did you think of our performance and victory on Saturday?

50 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Played better yesterday, first half especially but no idea why the second half resorted to type again . Don’ t know if it is a fitness problem but a poor Falkirk almost got a point out of it.

Best game Squiddy has had for ages , Slater played well and Dools looked sharp when he came on. Still a bit to go IMO 

Falkirk made two changes at halftime so the pattern of play was going to change to a degree. They couldn’t be much worse, tbh. They clearly had us on the back foot towards the end but we still had a couple of good chances through Storey and Doolan. I guess we still lack a genuine holding midfielder destroyer to break up the opposition play at this stage of the game so we ended up sitting on the break and hoping to get the pace of Fitzpatrick and Storey to relieve the pressure in the meantime. Worked out in the end yesterday.