Thistle vs Falkirk - Relegation Decider?

jagfox

46 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Falkirk made two changes at halftime so the pattern of play was going to change to a degree. They couldn’t be much worse, tbh. They clearly had us on the back foot towards the end but we still had a couple of good chances through Storey and Doolan. I guess we still lack a genuine holding midfielder destroyer to break up the opposition play at this stage of the game so we ended up sitting on the break and hoping to get the pace of Fitzpatrick and Storey to relieve the pressure in the meantime. Worked out in the end yesterday.

:thumbsup2: Largely as I saw it .

Guess a lot of folk won't be convinced till we turn in 2nd half performances that are compared with our first 45 mins, and backing it up with goals. Actually I thought we played just about as well in the 2nd half yesterday with the major differential in the two halves being in the improved performance of Falkirk.   

My usual complaint is not capitalising when we're on top. Yesterday we did to a degree by adding a second goal smartly after opening the scoring. I still tho' feel we should've got closer to adding a third. That's not being greedy, more a reflection on how far we were ahead at one point in the game.  

A well needed victory yesterday against what must be the worst looking Falkirk side in living memory. Honestly could not believe how bad they were, especially in the first half.

I thought Gordon was man of the match and also felt Storey played well, apart from being caught offside too many times.

I was obviously delighted with the win but don't think I can go through a season of watching this style of football. Just hoping Bannigan can make it back to stop the long ball dross. 

Massive win for Archie & Shaggy.

Much better performance than I was expecting. Didn't think Falkirk were that terrible as they moved the ball about well enough. Excellent performances and goals from Penrice & Erkine. Storey looked very strong running/holding the ball. Team looked like it had a lot more fight about it. Not perfect, but lots more good than bad.

You could say that we carried a bit of luck. Nevertheless, the harder you try, the luckier you get.

Very fitting tribute to Davie McParland.

Well done to everyone involved, it was a really good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paralytic thistle said:

Could it just be that he was replying to those in the JH chanting that he was an rshole?

He was.

But which manager, coach, leader, guru or human being would say that was the correct thing to do?

shut people up by being so good they are in awe.

Not by shouting “wanks” at them.

5 hours ago, Jag said:

A well needed victory yesterday against what must be the worst looking Falkirk side in living memory. Honestly could not believe how bad they were, especially in the first half.

I thought Gordon was man of the match and also felt Storey played well, apart from being caught offside too many times.

I was obviously delighted with the win but don't think I can go through a season of watching this style of football. Just hoping Bannigan can make it back to stop the long ball dross. 

He'll be back in six years weeks.

Just a few thoughts after the weekend.

Beating Falkirk wasn't a brilliant result.  However had we not beat them, especially if they'd beat us, it would have been worrying.  

There were a lot of good things in the game, a few problems. Still it's still early and more players to come in.  I was pleased to see the effort and aggression (in a good way) from the team and willingness to push forward - still too often not enough support for attack but hopefully as players bed in that will improve.  

We sat back a bit too much in the second half but not as badly as I've seen us do in other games and still looked to break out against Falkirk and created a couple of chances against them on the break.  Would prefer us controlling the game from midfield rather than do that though.  

New signings, O'Ware, Gordon, Slater look good, others not sure about but seem OK and may improve.  Storey and Erskine look like they could be very good in this league.  Both confidence players so hope that keeps up.  Penrice looks fine: competent enough in defence but excellent going forward.

With more new players to come in it will still take time to find our best team but at least we look good enough to stay in the running until that happens.  A lot depends of course on the quality of the players still to come  (and whether Bannigan is really fit for the season).

13 hours ago, gerrybritton9 said:

Paul Paton put a terrible challenge on Slater. Then got up and shouted “Wanks” at the fans in the JH.

Lets all just remember that 

I always thought that abuse given to opposition players was ineffective, it obviously got into Paton's head. Worth the effort then!