Seven figure sum?

TartanC4

Just watched the latest offering from the chief executive and he talks of four players needed and a seven figure budget, so if that's a million, then simple mathemataticals tells me that's 250,000 a player?  Which is scrapping the dregs of English lower leagues and worse. Hopefully Archie can pull off another masterstroke like pogba.

It will be an all inclusive budget:

wages, expected bonuses, transfer fees

”A seven figure sum” is, in that context, an almost completely meaningless statement. All that re-assures is that the playing budget is (from memory) a little bit, but actually not much, higher than it was when Ian McCall was manager.

If you have a squad of 22 players and an average *basic* wage of £750 a week, that’s already within spitting distance of “seven figures” because of employers’ National Insurance Contributions.

Rather impressed with Gerry's "interview". It's not the least bit easy to talk for that length of time about such nebulous subjects. No disrespect intended to above posts but I hardly think substance was exactly high on the agenda. 

We're trying to bring 4 players in. This is far from an exact science, a lot of moving parts are contributory factors towards any difficulties. We're still all in this together. 

We were relegated on the 22nd May.

The Board made an announcement the next day that appeared at the time to be a declaration of intent.......but has since turned out to be smoke getting blown up our (the support's) collective arses.

Nothing much has continued to happen. since then

The league season started last Saturday 4th August.

Why are intelligent people on this forum still believing shite like 'we are trying to bring 4 players in' ???

We haven't for whatever reason, Gerry Britton and Alan Archibald know exactly why that is - we don't.

The exact science is that the club is a mess right now. 

Why?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

We were relegated on the 22nd May.

The Board made an announcement the next day that appeared at the time to be a declaration of intent.......but has since turned out to be smoke getting blown up our (the support's) collective arses.

Nothing much has continued to happen. since then

The league season started last Saturday 4th August.

Why are intelligent people on this forum still believing shite like 'we are trying to bring 4 players in' ???

We haven't for whatever reason, Gerry Britton and Alan Archibald know exactly why that is - we don't.

The exact science is that the club is a mess right now. 

Why?

Agree 100%.

I like Gerry Britton and I like Alan Archibald. I am desperate for things to work out for them. The problem is I just think the club finds itself in a really bad place at the moment. I'm trying to think of an example where confidence at a club has fallen so low and was then turned around and became a success story under the same management. Obviously there will be changes in personnel tomorrow but does anybody see that team putting Falkirk under sustained pressure, rattling shots of the woodwork and raining shots in on their keeper. I just don't see it.

Help me out folks....give me an example of a team, preferably in Scotland, who plummeted to what we watched last week then was turned around by the same manager and became a team capable of a top 4 place. I'm sure its happened just cant think when!!

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Rather impressed with Gerry's "interview". It's not the least bit easy to talk for that length of time about such nebulous subjects. No disrespect intended to above posts but I hardly think substance was exactly high on the agenda. 

We're trying to bring 4 players in. This is far from an exact science, a lot of moving parts are contributory factors towards any difficulties. We're still all in this together. 

Concerned fans are getting told by other fans (and aptly enough, impliedly told by Gerry in said interview) that if they’ve nothing constructive to say, don’t say anything at all.

Perhaps, instead of droning on for the best part of 10 minutes complaining about pressures and giving excuses that are not remotely unique to Thistle, Gerry should also follow that advice. I have no sympathy for a board and management team who have had a whole summer to get their arses in gear and have ended up absolutely nowhere.

A half-way competent preparation for a season has an established and promising starting XI in place, less maybe *one* regular starter, by the second competitive fixture of the season at the latest. Signings in August should always be about squad depth and versatility, not about pulling a family of rabbits out of the hat after several league and cup fixtures.

Gerry’s interview raises more questions than answers: why doesn’t the manager know what formation(s) he wants to build his team around yet? Why, if we are looking for four more players, is the club only in discussions about 2? Why, if we have a “7-figure budget” are we stuck on 18 players in mid-August? Why, if our budget is competitive for the purposes of promotion, have we recruited fewer players than most of the other clubs in the league despite a total clearout? Why, if our budget is competitive, is an (admittedly solid enough) centre back that Morton fans were fairly indifferent about losing the closest thing we have to a marquee signing?

The bottom line is either the board were lying to us in June about the budget (now saying its 7 figures is meaningless except to rule out an appallingly modest one) or Gerry and Archie are doing really badly at core aspects of their jobs’ remits. Or both. Which of these is it, and who’s going to take some responsibility for that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought his interview provided some insight into whats going on without revealing too much.

Although the line where he referred to completing the Squad by 31st August and thats what they were always aiming for is concerning. Thats 3/4 weeks into League season, and already of out the cup territory.  Being one player short is acceptable but four is just ridiculous.

There were notably other comments in the interview which I found pretty bewildering but can tell they seem 100% behind Archie no matter how results go.

Heres hoping for a refreshing game today, new tactics, a win, and some confidence to take home that we wont be whipping boys this year please! Would be nice to actually score a few goals too.

7 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Agree 100%.

I like Gerry Britton and I like Alan Archibald. I am desperate for things to work out for them. The problem is I just think the club finds itself in a really bad place at the moment. I'm trying to think of an example where confidence at a club has fallen so low and was then turned around and became a success story under the same management. Obviously there will be changes in personnel tomorrow but does anybody see that team putting Falkirk under sustained pressure, rattling shots of the woodwork and raining shots in on their keeper. I just don't see it.

Help me out folks....give me an example of a team, preferably in Scotland, who plummeted to what we watched last week then was turned around by the same manager and became a team capable of a top 4 place. I'm sure its happened just cant think when!!

I give you Partick Thistle under Alan Archibald! 

Second season in the Premier League, but on a poor run of form taking us near to the relegation trap door.

Facing close rivals Ross County at Firhill. Totally hopeless, heartless and gutless performance which we were lucky to lose only 1-3. 

Gary Fraser taking a wild fresh air kick at a player instead of tracking back, matching the run and trying to tackle. Dan Seaborne bringing a player down in the box and immediately heading for the touchline and having to be recalled, obviously disappointed not to have been sent off. Three Thistle players chasing the same opponent down the wing, but still failing to put in a tackle and secure possession to prevent a goal. Stevie Lawless tweeting about a change of scenery. Manager unable to turn the tide and having apparently lost the dressing room. Hands in pockets and not even an attempt to wave his arms. Forum in total meltdown. Archie has to go!

Next week, we travel to Tannadice to face a then still reasonably strong Dundee United side. Thistle had not won there for decades. Fearing the worst. But under the direction of the selfsame Alan Archibald, Thistle play like Barcelona, including the "team goal of the century" finished off by Stephen O'Donnell. A convincing 2-0 victory moves on to a good spell of results securing safety with several games to spare.

Have not quite ticked all your boxes and I am not trying to make any particular point in the current scenario, but it does show how the same personnel can sometimes turn things round.

• Like 1

I know our window closes on 31 August but the plan should always be to try to complete our business as close to the opening league game of the season as possible. If one or two drag on past that - and maybe even towards the 31st - then fair enough, but to actually plan to do our business by the 31st is ridiculous. 

It does strike me that the post-relegation David Beattie/board statement about the budget simply wasn’t true. Of course GB is going to say in his interview that budget isn’t an issue, but he’s new in the job and presumably doesn’t want to upset the board at this point. I do question the wisdom of putting that statement out though, both in terms of raising expectations and alerting agents.

I’d also question the wisdom of GB actually doing these interviews. Communication with us is obviously clearly essential and what we all want, but weekly Chief Exec interviews are just going to be constantly picked over and analysed as if they’re a Higher English close reading paper (as we see above). Not sure it’s the most sensible long term PR move, and isn’t our new Chair supposed to be a PR person? All strikes me as a bit ill thought out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I give you Partick Thistle under Alan Archibald! 

Second season in the Premier League, but on a poor run of form taking us near to the relegation trap door.

Facing close rivals Ross County at Firhill. Totally hopeless, heartless and gutless performance which we were lucky to lose only 1-3. 

Gary Fraser taking a wild fresh air kick at a player instead of tracking back, matching the run and trying to tackle. Dan Seaborne bringing a player down in the box and immediately heading for the touchline and having to be recalled, obviously disappointed not to have been sent off. Three Thistle players chasing the same opponent down the wing, but still failing to put in a tackle and secure possession to prevent a goal. Stevie Lawless tweeting about a change of scenery. Manager unable to turn the tide and having apparently lost the dressing room. Hands in pockets and not even an attempt to wave his arms. Forum in total meltdown. Archie has to go!

Next week, we travel to Tannadice to face a then still reasonably strong Dundee United side. Thistle had not won there for decades. Fearing the worst. But under the direction of the selfsame Alan Archibald, Thistle play like Barcelona, including the "team goal of the century" finished off by Stephen O'Donnell. A convincing 2-0 victory moves on to a good spell of results securing safety with several games to spare.

Have not quite ticked all your boxes and I am not trying to make any particular point in the current scenario, but it does show how the same personnel can sometimes turn things round.

This is, respectfully, absolute garbage. 

Yes at that stage in the seaaon results were horrid but we were playing well, with a degree of confidence and self belief. We were not playing as clueless as we are now. Yes archie and his players turned results round but there were decernable tactics, confident players with a game plan. We just went for a few months unable to turn performances into results. The main point most on the forum are making is that this time round we have no disernable tactics or game plan. Players appear not to know what their jobs are and are bereft of confidence. Add to that they seem to be as unfit as the last two seasons players were at this stage of the season. I put up that few of the players get anywhere near full fitness last seaon. Thats just inept by any standards. We consistently died last 20 of every game. So mamy games lost from wining positions in last 20 mins last season. Thats why so many of us are so angry. If the mgt and fitness team had done their jobs and had the players fit..............???? For that reason partick thedog you're wrong.

Only team i can think of in recent times was st midden under jack ross but am struggling to go further back and in the top lrague. Perhaps lambini, bottom at christmas, no tean in that position had EVER survived, and he did it. But again it was from a position of playing well. Just not getting results.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Yes at that stage in the seaaon results were horrid but we were playing well, with a degree of confidence and self belief. We were not playing as clueless as we are now. Yes archie and his players turned results round but there were decernable tactics, confident players with a game plan. We just went for a few months unable to turn performances into results. The main point most on the forum are making is that this time round we have no disernable tactics or game plan. Players appear not to know what their jobs are and are bereft of confidence. Add to that they seem to be as unfit as the last two seasons players were at this stage of the season. I put up that few of the players get anywhere near full fitness last seaon. Thats just inept by any standards. We consistently died last 20 of every game. So mamy games lost from wining positions in last 20 mins last season. Thats why so many of us are so angry. If the mgt and fitness team had done their jobs and had the players fit..............???? For that reason partick thedog you're wrong.

Only team i can think of in recent times was st midden under jack ross but am struggling to go further back and in the top lrague. Perhaps lambini, bottom at christmas, no tean in that position had EVER survived, and he did it. But again it was from a position of playing well. Just not getting results.

In the season we made top 6, where were we at Christmas?

25 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

9th place and 2 points off 6th with the best goal difference in the bottom 7.

Can we end the myth that we were somehow dead and buried that season? I thought we’d put that nonsense to bed when people started comparing it to how it was last Christmas (when, for the record, we were 11th, 8 points behind 6th and with the worst goal difference in the league.)

Edited by Woodstock Jag

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Bottomish

Lambini did it first.

You are missing my point, or being selective, i'll let others judge.

Just for the hard of understanding, when it was done before we were not as crap as we are now. As i've submitted before, i want archie and his management team to be a success again but the evidence suggests otherwise. We don't look capable of getting a result

That said i'm about to leave for the game full of optimism & hope. Mon the jags intae these tractor drivin ar$@holes

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistook

5 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Thank you for your respect, Mr Right, but somewhat surprised by the vehement reaction!

I think that you were reading into my post an agenda that was not there. I was providing what I thought was some vaguely interesting historical recollection rather than making any present application.

Going back to that Ross County game, I have always remembered the forum that night. Never has the team and its manager been so totally slated both for its performance and its attitude. The general conclusion was that the manager had lost it and should be replaced forthwith.

My only real point is that the next Saturday I travelled with trepidation and was pleasantly surprised. I learned my lesson, so today I am here with my usual cheerful optimism. I think you said on a later post that you have come in the same spirit, hoping to cheer the team to victory. So we are united in that.

I agree that the the last two games have been hugely concerning and that change is needed. The extent of that change will no doubt be something we can debate further after the game.

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Thank you for your respect, Mr Right, but somewhat surprised by the vehement reaction!

I think that you were reading into my post an agenda that was not there. I was providing what I thought was some vaguely interesting historical recollection rather than making any present application.

Going back to that Ross County game, I have always remembered the forum that night. Never has the team and its manager been so totally slated both for its performance and its attitude. The general conclusion was that the manager had lost it and should be replaced forthwith.

My only real point is that the next Saturday I travelled with trepidation and was pleasantly surprised. I learned my lesson, so today I am here with my usual cheerful optimism. I think you said on a later post that you have come in the same spirit, hoping to cheer the team to victory. So we are united in that.

I agree that the the last two games have been hugely concerning and that change is needed. The extent of that change will no doubt be something we can debate further after the game.

So glad i didnt reply before the game.

HUGE respect to your optimism, i have much to learn. Apologies for the vehemeness was more at the situation than your good self.

Today archie made me and those like me, look like di@ks though i wonder why such a change in attitude /work rate/ confidence from last week. That's why he's a football manager and i'm not. Great result great 1st half performance in terms of creativity and a good second half, sticking to the game plan and strangling their route to goal, apart from once. I shall go to school on your optimism partickthedog and maintain my new found love of the game........until next league game (not counting the sellik game).

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Beating Paul Hartley's shambles of a Falkirk side doesn't mean everything's going to be fine. The team is still well short of being able to compete at the right end of the table.

Good result and better performance against a poor team.....do we look like promotion candidates ? Not yet 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Good result and better performance against a poor team.....do we look like promotion candidates ? Not yet 

It’s kind of hard to say until we have seen all the teams. So far we have played 3 of the 10 teams and beaten 2 of them. Falkirk weren’t very good. Neither were Morton.