Stranraer v Partick Thistle

partickthedog

Random thoughts to kick off thread for tonight's game which seems to be very low on the radar:

1) Could this be the lowest ever attendance at a competitive game involving Thistle? I will ensure that there is at least one spectator at the match.  Long way to go in the middle of the week for a tournament lacking in prestige.  Would have been a scenic drive and a good day out on a Saturday. We have of course travelled far into the Highlands for midweek games in recent years. But then there have been reasonable home supports, and I am not sure that Stranraer will muster that many.

2) Great memories of excellent wins at Stair Park during some of our promotion runs, and also Quinton Jacobs debut with the Namibian flags.

3) We obviously try to win, but defeat is not a disaster, as we will not miss out on any money spinning matches or the prestige of reaching Hampden. Therefore, I would say no need to play safe with our "strongest 11".  Ideal opportunity to start  Sneddon, Wilson, Fitzpatrick, McCarthy,  Melbourne and of course Mbuyi-Mutombo. Perhaps Penrice could be given an experimental role  while Melbourne slots in at left (wing) back. 

Edited by partickthedog

:detective:  The Jags have never lost a cup match to the Blues, a 7 game run which stretches from 1938 to date.

22.01.1938 Stranraer [a] D2-2 (Scottish Cup 1st Round)
26.01.1938 Stranraer [h] W8-0 (Scottish Cup 1st Round replay)
31.08.1970 Stranraer [h] W2-1 (League Cup Supplementary 1st Round, 1st leg)
02.09.1970 Stranraer [a] D2-2 (League Cup Supplementary 1st Round, 2nd leg)
19.08.1972 Stranraer [a] W2-0 (League Cup Section 1 - game 3)
30.08.1972 Stranraer [h] W2-0 (League Cup Section 1 - game 6)
29.07.2017 Stranraer [h] W1-0 (League Cup Group H - game 4)

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Couple of us heading down. Fully expect most of the youngsters will be in the squad but we don't have enough youth/reserve cover so I doubt the team will be too experimental.

I know I'm leaving it open for the standard reply but Is Bannigan ready for a run out?

My son asked Christie Elliott about Bannigan at the camp he was asked last week and Christie said he was "back running".

From that I would take it he may still be a bit away from playing but certainly on the road to recovery.

One or two of the injured players will probably make it but even so may be on the bench rather than in the team to keep them OK for Saturday.  Making a guess at the team (probably wildly wrong but "just a bit of fun, folks"):

Sneddon

Elliot   OWare   McGinty   Melbourne

Slater       Penrice

Fitzpatrick          Storer            Mutumbo

Doolan

Bench: Stevenson; Keown;  Wilson plus a couple of the less injured players.  Maybe Bannigan for a 20 minute run out?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Although not the best competition I’d be focusing on this as opposed to the Celtic game.

The day out for the final was immense (I think) & we’re unlikely to beat Celtic.

Always want to see us win a trophy & this is a better chance I feel.

Jambos beat them at the weekend and I think that even the most sceptical would rather have our manager than theirs

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Who is in goal? 

Although this may be looked upon as a diddy cup it’s our best chance at winning something . It’s also the closest we might get at ‘European’ football if we get one of the Irish teams away. I don’t care who we play, were there to win, and win well. 

8 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Who is in goal? 

Although this may be looked upon as a diddy cup it’s our best chance at winning something . It’s also the closest we might get at ‘European’ football if we get one of the Irish teams away. I don’t care who we play, were there to win, and win well. 

Sneddon