Stranraer v Partick Thistle

partickthedog

5-0 FT

I'll be interested to hear what the guys that were there thought of how the team played. Sounded like score flattered us a quite a bit.

Strange that we gave away so many corners too...cant do that on Saturday without getting punished. But great to see so many goal scorers.

Well done to the team and everyone that travelled.

Edited by Aberdeenjag

Very comfortable, Stranraer were pish. Most pleasing thing tonight was how often our wingers were willing to take defenders on.

Penrice played well in the middle and Fitzpatrick was class. New boy did well, just a shame Doolan couldn’t get a goal, feel like he needs it. 

Sneddon made a very good save in the first half and was very vocal. Think we’ve got a decent back up there. 

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 3

Good first half performance, fell out of it for a while in the second half before two late goals made the score line more convincing.

Poor opposition but they had their moments. Comfortable performances all round with Fitzpatrick the pick of the bunch. Two goals and an assist, as well as creating a good few chances, especially in the first 45 mins. Decent debut from Mbuyi-Muntombo and it would have done Max Melbourne the world of good to get a solid 90 minutes under his belt after being hung out to dry at Somerset.

Doolan should have scored with a chance not long after the break. I was saying the other day that I would be concerned if he was missing a lot of chances during his 'drought' but I don't think he has had a lot of opportunities. However, he should have scored with this one and would have scored if not brought down by keeper, who rightly got sent off.

Changed to a 3-5-2 when Erskine came on with Penrice in the middle of the back three. Can understand him giving it a try but I felt it restricted us a bit and was more of a hinderance than a help.

Decent win, awful journey to make midweek. Looking forward to a trip to Wales or Ireland later in competition mind you.

• Like 1

I've seen a few "next big things" over the years at Firhill so I don't want to get carried away about Fitzpatrick. However, I'd love to see him getting a run in the first team, there is no reason why he can't excel at Championship level.

Just watched the replay of the game.

(Lack of) opposition notwithstanding, I thought we played very nice possession football the last fifteen minutes and created some nice chances to boot.

Unlike most of our games so far the team, as a whole, did not look tired at all late in the game.  Maybe a sign that their fitness is coming around.

15 minutes ago, thistle4celtic1 said:

Just watched the replay of the game.

(Lack of) opposition notwithstanding, I thought we played very nice possession football the last fifteen minutes and created some nice chances to boot.

Unlike most of our games so far the team, as a whole, did not look tired at all late in the game.  Maybe a sign that their fitness is coming around.

Agreed, some nice moves in both halves, and no obvious signs of tiring near the end. 

Great win and solid performance last night, Mtombo played very well, tricky player who will cause teams problems, granted opposition wasn't great but you could see he is the type who wants to go past players.

Melbourne also very comfortable and good to see us having a semi decent bench last night.

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Apart from the goals, the highlight was a brilliant solo run by McGinty all the way from his own half to the other penalty box. Showed a fair turn of pace. 

Yep, great run, and when he was eventually fouled and brought down - heard someone shout " c'mon ref, protect the ball players"!

All in all, a good workout, glad for Mellbourne- should boost his confidence . Wish goalie had let Dools score rather than bringing him down. 

Worth the effort of going!