Aiden FitzPartick Thistle vs Brendan's mobile disco

jagfox

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

As I have said before I think we played quite well.With a number of good performances and a well worked and taken goal.I know Celtic didn't start full strength but they finished with a lot more first team players on the park.I stand by what I said earlier,if we play with the same attitude  I think we will finish in a play off place at worst this season.

Totally agree. Compared to the games against Ayr Utd, that was a team of battlers who played their hearts out against the biggest team in the country. I'm really excited with what Archie is building.

From the highlights, the biggest differences were speed, directly running towards goal, and trickiness -- all present in the opposition.

Jags were slower, with many slow sideways passes (still), and less tricky. 

But the Thistle players did as well as they could.

Interesting that the porkheiders made excellent use of lowish crosses into our penalty area, whereas ours tend to be high.... in fact too high for everybody!

10 hours ago, sabbath said:

Celtic with 6 changes, this should have been a chance, infact most other teams might have taken it. I hope the board noticed the terrible home support, a clear and definitive message of no confidence in this manager.  Early kick-offs are only good for television so that explains just a few fans absence but most of the missing with a football brain knew the result in advance. We play the same every week even the substitutions are predictable. Celtic were a poor team and that was with 6 changes, there is nothing absolutely nothing we can take from this game. 

That Celtic starting XI would skoosh the league with a lot to spare. Their finishing XI could have it wrapped up by Feb. 

Thought we competed well, some daft mistakes led to first goal (and a bit of bad luck as think Bell had it covered). Scored a good goal & were still in it with 20 mins left. Not many teams will say that against Celtic this season.

Low home support more to do with KO time & opposition than a reflection on the manager.

Lots of positives from the game for me, especially after the Ayr performances, genuine improvement. 

15 hours ago, dunnikierjag said:

Someone in the board should be holding an inquiry into what the security and police were doing at the turnstiles. I remember my daughter who was about 7 at the time having a 500ml plastic bottle of water taken off her as it was declared ad a potential weapon. Clearly no excuses why Celtic supporters were allowed to bring in glass bottles and flares. I would call the security and police cowards. 

The problem is the Celtic (& Rangers) support do this week in week out at every away game they attend. Our club (like every other) sell the home fans out to maximize the profit and won’t speak up for fear of antagonizing the cash stream.

Celtic never filled their end, yet our core home support drops for these games, how many of those that don’t attend fail to reappear at next home game, or fail to renew their ST?  I honestly believe us selling out has a bigger impact on our home support than just one game.

Add to that the clean up, stewarding, and police costs, and the excess profit can’t be great, but we like every other club accept their behavior as it brings some extra cash

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Excellent performance all round.

The boys were exhausted by the end. Well done to all.

only down side was embarrassingly poor Jags support. There is no point housing  us in 2 stands if nobody turns up.

It's a fair point. Any suggestion as to a solution? 

I don't go to games v the ugly sisters for reasons i've messaged before. The only solution that would get me to go would be zero away fans allowed. That's NEVER going to happen and i wouldn't expect it. Why would the club prefer my 20 quid instead of several thousand neanderthals cash. Simple economics. Just don't expect me to feel bad cos i didn't go. 

I went several times in the 90's, and the behaviour of a huge number (i'd go so far as to say the majority) of their fans behaviour is disgusting and why the authorities and police tollerate it is beyond me. So my decision not to go has basis and is not media led. Perhaps their collective behaviour has improved and i sbould re consider but i doubt it.

When i go to jags games i never see fans pissing in the street or standing on the canal or in closes getting pissed but when i'm picking up around firhill before or after OF games the behaviour of their fans is shocking. Sad but true. For me we take what we can from home games v OF in terms of gates and refreshments. I'm not alone

17 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Agree. Very good performance from a Newish Championship team against the Premier team in Scotland.  Also must comment on pathetic Thistle support of about 200 in Lambie stand and about 800 in Main stand.  Shame on all you so called stay away supporters.

For the reaaon i gave previously you sir are out of order in your critisism of stay away fans.

Freedom of choice ffs. The authorities need to eradicate the disgusting behaviour of a large number of OF fans before i'd go to one.

That surely doesn't make me a disloyal fan. 50 years of supporting, many seasons not missing a game over the years etc etc

Just now, Thistleberight said:

For the reaaon i gave previously you sir are out of order in your critisism of stay away fans.

Freedom of choice ffs. The authorities need to eradicate the disgusting behaviour of a large number of OF fans before i'd go to one.

That surely doesn't make me a disloyal fan. 50 years of supporting, many seasons not missing a game over the years etc etc

I go to every game at Firhill no matter who we play but that is my choice.I agree with you Thistlebright  you and other fans who don't go to OF games have stated your reasons and that is your choice,but it does not make you disloyal fans.

• Like 1

Re the flares and bottles. I wouldn't criticise the stewarding too much. Certainly not at the point of entry if you want a game to start anywhere near kick off time. The police wouldn't condone a game starting whilst a sizable crowd were not in their seats. And as we're only too aware TV money is sacrosanct to the SPFL. That said when a squad of soapdodgers turn up wearing parkas in mid August you'd expect them at least to have to undergo more serious stewarding scrutiny. Bottom line is Celtic FC should be fined for their fans misbehaviour. Even at that the penalty would have to be proportionate to the size of the club. A fine of five figures would represent a couple of weeks wages for one player. Same figure could just about bankrupt a few clubs lower down the leagues. 

Taking aboard Norge's comments, which I wholeheartedly agree with, the chances are we won't be subject to visits from either of the arse cheeks for a while. I'd like to think with a new chairperson plus time on our hands that the Club could come up with a better policy re OF matches especially with regard to ST sales.

Re sabbath's post. I happen to think the team/squad benefited from yesterday's game and thus there lies the plus. Obviously it would've been better to have played lesser opposition and gone thru to the next round, but put crudely a two goal home defeat to Celtic is a hell of a lot less damning than a two goal home defeat to Ayr a few weeks ago. 

First time in a while I’ve been to match against one half of OF. Have to say was probably naively shocked at the Celtic fans singing about the IRA. No place whatsoever for this. They really are a blight on Scotland but the authorities seem too frightened to take it on.

Edited by ironfist

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re the flares and bottles. I wouldn't criticise the stewarding too much. Certainly not at the point of entry if you want a game to start anywhere near kick off time. The police wouldn't condone a game starting whilst a sizable crowd were not in their seats. And as we're only too aware TV money is sacrosanct to the SPFL. That said when a squad of soapdodgers turn up wearing parkas in mid August you'd expect them at least to have to undergo more serious stewarding scrutiny. Bottom line is Celtic FC should be fined for their fans misbehaviour. Even at that the penalty would have to be proportionate to the size of the club. A fine of five figures would represent a couple of weeks wages for one player. Same figure could just about bankrupt a few clubs lower down the leagues. 

Taking aboard Norge's comments, which I wholeheartedly agree with, the chances are we won't be subject to visits from either of the arse cheeks for a while. I'd like to think with a new chairperson plus time on our hands that the Club could come up with a better policy re OF matches especially with regard to ST sales.

Re sabbath's post. I happen to think the team/squad benefited from yesterday's game and thus there lies the plus. Obviously it would've been better to have played lesser opposition and gone thru to the next round, but put crudely a two goal home defeat to Celtic is a hell of a lot less damning than a two goal home defeat to Ayr a few weeks ago. 

In England a cordon is set up prior to reaching the turnstiles where your searched, Firhill is a doddle for doing that (5 streets to set up), not one club speaks up about it, the police do nothing about it, the authorities and SFA SPFL do and say nothing, so the problem grows, and the home supports dwindle for these games, but not just us every club outside Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts see the Home supporters stay away for these games as they know their club will capitulate on and off the park to the OF, hence the fans and officials of the OF ride roughshod over the rest of Scottish football and will continue to until a couple of brave clubs say NO.

Vote against them, limit their fans, refuse their stewards (who are part of the problem), issue statements complaining about their behavior, ensure fans are refused entry to home ends, refused entry when breaking conditions on tickets, are banned when throwing flares, breaking seats etc.

Its our club our ground but we put them 1st every time over our own fans

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I go to every game at Firhill no matter who we play but that is my choice.I agree with you Thistlebright  you and other fans who don't go to OF games have stated your reasons and that is your choice,but it does not make you disloyal fans.

I luv you, grant wise auld man

27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

The league games last season were different as we really needed the OF cash but as this was a fixture which was entirely unexpected and the club weren't interested in the income then it would have been good to see them offer the Colin Weir stand to Celtic and if that wasn't suitable then tough.

31 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

In England a cordon is set up prior to reaching the turnstiles where your searched, Firhill is a doddle for doing that (5 streets to set up), not one club speaks up about it, the police do nothing about it, the authorities and SFA SPFL do and say nothing, so the problem grows, and the home supports dwindle for these games, but not just us every club outside Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts see the Home supporters stay away for these games as they know their club will capitulate on and off the park to the OF, hence the fans and officials of the OF ride roughshod over the rest of Scottish football and will continue to until a couple of brave clubs say NO.

Vote against them, limit their fans, refuse their stewards (who are part of the problem), issue statements complaining about their behavior, ensure fans are refused entry to home ends, refused entry when breaking conditions on tickets, are banned when throwing flares, breaking seats etc.

Superb post (imho)

couldn't make the game yesterday, just watched the highlights on jagzone today

think we have found a real belter of a player in craig slater

always composed on the ball, makes himself available, and has the technical abilty to make a telling pass

it's great now that we are giving the young lads a run in the team penrice, melbourne, fitzpatrick, mccarthy  and wilson

however we do need at least a further 2 or 3 experienced players in the squad

this week against dungdee united will be a real test for us 

earlier this week watched highlights of the dunfermline v ross county game 

county looked really strong experienced outfit

think they will be the team to match

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The problem is the Celtic (& Rangers) support do this week in week out at every away game they attend. Our club (like every other) sell the home fans out to maximize the profit and won’t speak up for fear of antagonizing the cash stream.

Celtic never filled their end, yet our core home support drops for these games, how many of those that don’t attend fail to reappear at next home game, or fail to renew their ST?  I honestly believe us selling out has a bigger impact on our home support than just one game.

Add to that the clean up, stewarding, and police costs, and the excess profit can’t be great, but we like every other club accept their behavior as it brings some extra cash

When I bought my tickets on Friday from the club I was told Celtic had sold out their end completely by the Monday of last week

5 hours ago, watties wallies said:

couldn't make the game yesterday, just watched the highlights on jagzone today

think we have found a real belter of a player in craig slater

always composed on the ball, makes himself available, and has the technical abilty to make a telling pass

it's great now that we are giving the young lads a run in the team penrice, melbourne, fitzpatrick, mccarthy  and wilson

however we do need at least a further 2 or 3 experienced players in the squad

this week against dungdee united will be a real test for us 

earlier this week watched highlights of the dunfermline v ross county game 

county looked really strong experienced outfit

think they will be the team to match

After watching their game today i think you're on the money. Very big and strong, fairly direct andvwith players like vigers no push overs. 

I hate gardines antics but when he's on form he's a fine player. 

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

When I bought my tickets on Friday from the club I was told Celtic had sold out their end completely by the Monday of last week

Yep. Can't blame the club for taking their money but, just my thoughts, there's more to this than just money. There's a principle at stake. Or there should be, the principle was lost long ago.

Would we all be worse or better off if the pair of them buggered off to englandshire or antlantis league? I think the answer lies in the few seasons we were in the top league while sevco were in the lower leagues, i didn't miss them at all just wish sellik had gone with them

I am a match day volunteer and had the misfortune to have to negotiate the steps down the JHS to make my escape just after the game had started. One thing that caught my eyes and ears as I made my way down the steps was a young boy, maybe 10 years old, occupying a seat at the end of a row (occupying i.e. standing on the seat). He was belting out an IRA song with full gusto. Evidence, if any more were ever needed, that unless Celtic FC AND the authorities tackle the issue, we will all suffer in perpetuity. Having reached the bottom of the JHS and passing through the irradiation chamber and all over shower unit I continued my way to the Colin Weir Stand.

Jags fans may have noticed that Thistle never place any ballboys/ballgirls in front of either the Celtic or Rangers fans - it is simply too dangerous.