Challenge Cup draw

The Jukebox Rebel

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Seems completely daft to me but daftness is par for the course with anything run by the SPFL/Doncaster.

Think that as usual it was mean't as a sop to fans of the gruesome twosome who received wisdom or Derek Johnstone or Hugh Keevins as their better known: assumed that their U-21s being so far ahead of everyone else that they would stroll to the final. Giving their 'fans' a nice day out at Hampden. Fortunately, it turned out not to be the case and it remains another pointless exercise from the Blazers at Hampden? 

3 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

:detective:  'twill be just our third visit to the new stadium, following a 1-0 League defeat (Feb '99) and a 4-2 Scottish Cup win (Jan '02).

The first game was the most miserable ever, with a slow moving crane in the dockyard providing the majority of the entertainment.

The car park was coated in some form of muddy sludge which took ages to wash off the shoes.

30 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

The 8 glamour European teams were drawn (but not against each other) in the first 8 ties. So was the draw fixed in some way?

And drawn alternating home/away too. Also the four colt teams definitely through are drawn against each other ensuring that two of them will be through to the 3rd round.

A very tidy draw.

The "foreign" teams were selected separately, one home and one away for each country, in order to keep them apart at this stage.

I didn't see it after our tie was drawn so I can't comment on why the U21 teams were drawn together.

Incidentally, the draw was MC'd by the Kilmarnock fan that used to be the announcer at Firhill.

21 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

The "foreign" teams were selected separately, one home and one away for each country, in order to keep them apart at this stage.

I didn't see it after our tie was drawn so I can't comment on why the U21 teams were drawn together.

Incidentally, the draw was MC'd by the Kilmarnock fan that used to be the announcer at Firhill.

I see. I thought, from misreading reading the OP, that it was a proper draw. Manipulated draws are pants.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

The first game was the most miserable ever, with a slow moving crane in the dockyard providing the majority of the entertainment.

The car park was coated in some form of muddy sludge which took ages to wash off the shoes.

Have never been to this ground but you have fair whet my appetite. :)

5 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Another away cup tie.

Be interested to know how many home v away ties in all cups we've had in say the last ten years.

My guess is at least 70% away.

What you're really asking is for TJR to come up with the answer rather than work it out yourself using the likes of Soccerbase.

Don't worry we all do on occasions. :)

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

You're right PTD, it was dire game, but it was a coal fired power station crane not a shipyard one, and it provided light relief in the form of bets being laid on which pile of coal it would pick from.

• Haha 3

I'm sure the last time I was at East Fife away I witnessed Hrrein 'turbo' Hringsson  (no sure of spelling or if it was even East Fife) and we had Mark Cairns in goal.  Auld super perm turbo could've given any number of Archies dud strikers a run for their money. Sure if he was around today Archie would be snapping him up on a 3 year deal then freeing him next May.

10 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Remember that and was freezing.

5 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

I'm sure the last time I was at East Fife away I witnessed Hrrein 'turbo' Hringsson  (no sure of spelling or if it was even East Fife) and we had Mark Cairns in goal.  Auld super perm turbo could've given any number of Archies dud strikers a run for their money. Sure if he was around today Archie would be snapping him up on a 3 year deal then freeing him next May.

You are absolutely right about Hreinn. It was Old Bayview in 1997 and he signed my daughter's autograph book "Turbo", so we still have the written evidence to prove it.

• Like 1

My ears are burning again! Haha, always happy to do my bit for the cause lib. :thumbsup2:

Since 1878, in our 612 single-leg cup knockout ties where the home/away designation was dependent upon the draw, we've ended up away on 304 occasions (49.7%). Cotter Jag's gut feeling of 70% for the last 10 seasons doesn't stand up; we've been drawn away 25 out of 45 times (55.6%) in that recent period.

The official TJR stance for best handling of this matter is to hold court, pint in hand, and proclaim "**** sake man, we've been drawn away in 10 of the last 13 ties. That's pushing 80% ye know. Nae wonder we never win **** all."

08.09.2018 East Fife [a] tba (Challenge Cup 2nd Round)
18.08.2018 Celtic [h] W4-1 (League Cup 2nd Round)
14.08.2018 Stranraer [a] W5-0 (Challenge Cup 1st Round)
10.02.2018 Celtic [a] L2-3 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
20.01.2018 Queen of the South [a] W2-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
19.09.2017 Rangers [h] L1-3 (League Cup Quarter Final)
08.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] W3-0 (League Cup 2nd Round)
05.03.2017 Aberdeen [a] L0-1 (Scottish Cup Quarter Final)
11.02.2017 St Johnstone [a] W1-0 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
21.01.2017 Formartine United [h] W4-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
09.08.2016 Dundee United [a] L1-3 (League Cup 2nd Round)
06.02.2016 Dundee United [a] L0-1 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
08.01.2016 St Mirren [a] W2-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

What you're really asking is for TJR to come up with the answer rather than work it out yourself using the likes of Soccerbase.

Don't worry we all do on occasions. :)

I'm soooo easy to read. LOl.

Plus, there's no telling what results I'd come up with :frantic:

Much better we get results from a trusted data source. 

5 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

My ears are burning again! Haha, always happy to do my bit for the cause lib. :thumbsup2:

Since 1878, in our 612 single-leg cup knockout ties where the home/away designation was dependent upon the draw, we've ended up away on 304 occasions (49.7%). Cotter Jag's gut feeling of 70% for the last 10 seasons doesn't stand up; we've been drawn away 25 out of 45 times (55.6%) in that recent period.

The official TJR stance for best handling of this matter is to hold court, pint in hand, and proclaim "**** sake man, we've been drawn away in 10 of the last 13 ties. That's pushing 80% ye know. Nae wonder we never win **** all."

08.09.2018 East Fife [a] tba (Challenge Cup 2nd Round)
18.08.2018 Celtic [h] W4-1 (League Cup 2nd Round)
14.08.2018 Stranraer [a] W5-0 (Challenge Cup 1st Round)
10.02.2018 Celtic [a] L2-3 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
20.01.2018 Queen of the South [a] W2-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
19.09.2017 Rangers [h] L1-3 (League Cup Quarter Final)
08.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] W3-0 (League Cup 2nd Round)
05.03.2017 Aberdeen [a] L0-1 (Scottish Cup Quarter Final)
11.02.2017 St Johnstone [a] W1-0 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
21.01.2017 Formartine United [h] W4-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)
09.08.2016 Dundee United [a] L1-3 (League Cup 2nd Round)
06.02.2016 Dundee United [a] L0-1 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)
08.01.2016 St Mirren [a] W2-1 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)

Brilliant TJR.

My other gut feeling that we've been drawn away against Dundee United 95% of the time doesn't stand up either :D

It's just confabulation, along with the ability to exaggerate history in order to make a point.

Here's hoping you don't have to change tomorrows' premonition :clapping:

Thanks TJR.

• Like 1