Ryan Edwards

jagfaelivi

Was chuffed to see Ryan score. I realise fitness and stamina came second nature to the lad but Edwards always gave 100% to us. I also realise there's a parallel with Miles Storey and enthusiasm plus fitness isn't everything. Just maybe, with Shea Gordon being injured for so long, we seriously missed Edwards last season. Certainly there were too many times when we were lost for pace and stamina in midfield. Whatever I'm glad to see an ex Jag score in a final. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was chuffed to see Ryan score. I realise fitness and stamina came second nature to the lad but Edwards always gave 100% to us. I also realise there's a parallel with Miles Storey and enthusiasm plus fitness isn't everything. Just maybe, with Shea Gordon being injured for so long, we seriously missed Edwards last season. Certainly there were too many times when we were lost for pace and stamina in midfield. Whatever I'm glad to see an ex Jag score in a final. 

Would be great to see a current jag score in a cup final.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

But let’s not forget that he was the 1st player to decide to leave.

I reckon he's a good professional making the best of his talents. Not sure that was compatible with hanging about on the downward curve we were on.

He scored a goal in a Scottish cup final today, so it's hard to argue with his decision.

9 hours ago, allyo said:

I reckon he's a good professional making the best of his talents. Not sure that was compatible with hanging about on the downward curve we were on.

He scored a goal in a Scottish cup final today, so it's hard to argue with his decision.

In his third start for Hearts apparently. A great moment for the lad but that’s all he’s really achieved this season. A great memory but will it keep him at Hearts? 

50 minutes ago, jagfox said:

In his third start for Hearts apparently. A great moment for the lad but that’s all he’s really achieved this season. A great memory but will it keep him at Hearts? 

Maybe not. Or maybe he just needed the opportunity. Impossible to tell right now.

I'm not saying it's been a great season for him. All I'm saying is that I always liked him. He wasnt always great but he always gave a lot of effort. I don't begrudge a player looking after themselves (after all, that's what clubs will do) and I was happy to see him getting a good break yesterday.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Maybe not. Or maybe he just needed the opportunity. Impossible to tell right now.

I'm not saying it's been a great season for him. All I'm saying is that I always liked him. He wasnt always great but he always gave a lot of effort. I don't begrudge a player looking after themselves (after all, that's what clubs will do) and I was happy to see him getting a good break yesterday.

Fair enough. I've certainly favoured many players at Firhill that have gone against the grain for the majority :lol:

From what I heard Ryan was/is a delight to manage, on and off the park, in the same way Christie Elliott was. Edwards is arguably one of the fittest, if not the fittest, player in Scotland.  That said I was still surprised to see him given a start in a Cup Final, but if any player deserves to play above his level it's someone with his attitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One t in Scotland said:

Interesting view - any actual facts to back up this assertion for the ensuing arguments?

Not really. My St Mirren brother in law and a couple of Jambos I know would certainly support that assertion. Archie said on a couple of occasions Ryan's the fittest he's seen anyone at the Club. Think I only saw him run out of steam the once and always thought his stamina was phenomenal. But yes it's only a subjective view.  Main point being it's about all a manager can ask of a player to give his all and conduct himself professionally. 

As an aside, apart from Edwards, there's been others recently I've really wanted to see succeed most, if only for their attitude and enthusiasm. Christie, Jimmy Craigen, Azeez and Scott Chaplain to name a few.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No harm to Shea he came in and scored a couple of goals but others than that I thought he seemed anonymous. He was coming back from injury though. Honestly don’t think there was many times last season we were dominated in midfield. Going on stats Slater ran further than anyone with Christie not far behind and Banzo and Spits not too far behind him. (Running isn’t Harkins game)So yeah might lack a little bit of pace but don’t think stamina was a problem for the midfield. I thought our midfield was decent but when we never scored goals it was the midfield who didn’t supply the ammunition. When we lost goals it was the midfield didn’t protect the back four. A lose lose situation for our midfielders. When we brought in a decent striker we scored goals,when we brought in a couple of decent defenders we didn’t concede as many goals. Chuffed for Edwards always liked him just sorry they didn’t win(although can’t stand Levein). 

6 minutes ago, Steevo said:

No harm to Shea he came in and scored a couple of goals but others than that I thought he seemed anonymous. He was coming back from injury though. Honestly don’t think there was many times last season we were dominated in midfield. Going on stats Slater ran further than anyone with Christie not far behind and Banzo and Spits not too far behind him. (Running isn’t Harkins game)So yeah might lack a little bit of pace but don’t think stamina was a problem for the midfield. I thought our midfield was decent but when we never scored goals it was the midfield who didn’t supply the ammunition. When we lost goals it was the midfield didn’t protect the back four. A lose lose situation for our midfielders. When we brought in a decent striker we scored goals,when we brought in a couple of decent defenders we didn’t concede as many goals. Chuffed for Edwards always liked him just sorry they didn’t win(although can’t stand Levein). 

How do you know how far each Player Ran "going on stats " ?  

I think it was Ally Roy who told me haha. Can’t betray a confidence,but as I played in midfield myself I feel midfielders get the blame from some fans for lack of goals or for a team losing goals. I just think this season when we got a slightly better striker, we got more goals, and when we got slightly better defenders we conceded less. Maybe I’m looking at it too simply. I’m sure there will be others who will be more informed and will tell me it’s more complicated than that and I bow to their superior knowledge.  Stats aren’t everything but sometimes fans perception is different from reality. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steevo said:

I think it was Ally Roy who told me haha. Can’t betray a confidence,but as I played in midfield myself I feel midfielders get the blame from some fans for lack of goals or for a team losing goals. I just think this season when we got a slightly better striker, we got more goals, and when we got slightly better defenders we conceded less. Maybe I’m looking at it too simply. I’m sure there will be others who will be more informed and will tell me it’s more complicated than that and I bow to their superior knowledge.  Stats aren’t everything but sometimes fans perception is different from reality. 

A lot of time it was sterile possession based football which is probably the view of the Manager of how he wants the game to be played .

We had very few running midfielders who would try and get beyond the front players or try and link with them and that’s one of the reasons why the midfield players didn’t get a lot of goals last year . There was very little creativity in the team last year and for a player with Stuart Bannigans ability to have no assists all season is more to with the perceived style of play than the player’s form.

I think part of what you’re saying comes from the fact the team as a whole could have been  more on the front foot. It wasn’t till nearer the end of the season we had a CM coming slightly deeper and the opposition Striker not sure who to close when big McGinty decided to step forward with the ball and pass rather than the big hoof. Just good to see our defenders push on rather than be scared and sit deep. Hopefully this was the manager who informed our centre halves they can sometimes step in and help the midfield. Especially when we have 3 guys marking one striker 

2 hours ago, Steevo said:

I think part of what you’re saying comes from the fact the team as a whole could have been  more on the front foot. It wasn’t till nearer the end of the season we had a CM coming slightly deeper and the opposition Striker not sure who to close when big McGinty decided to step forward with the ball and pass rather than the big hoof. Just good to see our defenders push on rather than be scared and sit deep. Hopefully this was the manager who informed our centre halves they can sometimes step in and help the midfield. Especially when we have 3 guys marking one striker 

Think when Sean Mcginty came back into the team it made a huge difference as you say pushing into midfield and trying to make things happen , first part of the season nobody wanted to make that gamble to try and create things or commit opposition players