Souleymane Coulibaly

TartanC4

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Feeling better about it now with the Ayr games with no bench to speak of, being followed by a surprisingly encouraging effort against Celtic.

Obviously a run of positive results will take the pressure off the manager, but Andrea's encouraging start and the arrival of Souleymane suddenly suggest that the jigsaw promised in May could well be beginning to take shape.

Just wish that we could get into the habit of having our bodies in place before 1st August - Archie's record in that regard is poor (and yes I know there may be justifiable reasons for that which are outwith our knowledge).

4 hours ago, watties wallies said:

Sandy you are  wrong my friend

i would think that non of us on this forum has been on the outside, or as you put it the naysayers

we are all thistle fans and all we want is the best for the jags

last season was terrible and yes i called for archie to go, but i was never on the outside

archie is still our manager and  there have been some excellent signings

so lets all get behind the team and hopefully archie and the players can push for promotion

onwards and upwards   :thumbsup2:

i trust this isn't another whoosh  whatever that is ?

2 Very good posts.

According to Wiki, in May this year Coulibaly was ordered by FIFA to pay a fine of nearly $1,500,000 to his Egyptian club, because he simply walked out on them, breaking his contract.

Has he paid?

Here's hoping to God that Thistle don't end up involved in some legal and potentially expensive wrangle over this signing.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I thought I read somewhere that he wouldn't be allowed to sign with another team until the fine was paid.

It was in this article:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3078230/souleymane-coulibaly-partick-thistle-transfer-news-could-land-move-kilmarnock-fans-favourite/

............but it was just being reported he had to do so.

But in April this year he was hit with a massive £1million fine after a Fifa commission found against his claims.

Reports stated Coulibaly would have to stump up that cash before he could sign for another club.

Edited by thistle4celtic1
add link

11 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Just as I give “lesser” signings a chance to show what they can do on the pitch before labelling them as a good or bad signing, I am not going overboard with this signing either until he plays a few games. We have all seen big name signings bomb at new clubs in the past.

Including our club!

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Just as I give “lesser” signings a chance to show what they can do on the pitch before labelling them as a good or bad signing, I am not going overboard with this signing either until he plays a few games. We have all seen big name signings bomb at new clubs in the past.

This is a fair point though I’m sure we all have our fingers crossed he’s a big success.....the team still actually have to perform on the park Saturday will be a good test 

attention im sure is now focused on a Defensive Midfielder and the defence generally 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

According to Wiki, in May this year Coulibaly was ordered by FIFA to pay a fine of nearly $1,500,000 to his Egyptian club, because he simply walked out on them, breaking his contract.

Has he paid?

Here's hoping to God that Thistle don't end up involved in some legal and potentially expensive wrangle over this signing.

I would hope that our employment law connections, (and Gerry),  would be able to assess any potential legal impediment to him signing. As stated elsewhere the "International Clearance" should let us know one way or another.

35 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I would hope that our employment law connections, (and Gerry),  would be able to assess any potential legal impediment to him signing. As stated elsewhere the "International Clearance" should let us know one way or another.

It’d be very ‘Thistle’ if we don’t get clearance... Fingers crossed!

One thing in our favour surely is that if he doesn't get a club, how is he going to pay the fine??  Obviously he won't be able to on the wages we offer but if he does well for us and, say, gets a transfer to a bigger club in England that would put him in a better position to pay it off.  Whereas if they kill his career they get nothing.

Edited by Mr Bunny

"Bench management" is going to be an unaccustomed new skill to master, given that up until now "bench filling" has been beyond us.

We really have to hope that unexpected injury during the game does not force us into an "unneccessary substitution", such as Slater for Gordon last Saturday (Slater probably played better, but that is not my point).

I suspect that Coulibaly will not be fully match fit, so either coming off early or going on for the last part of the game will be the most we can hope for on Saturday. Mutombo is still working his way to top fitness and Storey is coming back from injury, so both may be candidates for shorter stints.

We want to unleash the magic weapon that is Aiden Fitzpatrick, but for such a young player, game time has to be carefully managed.

Added to that, Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine have generally produced their best spells for us when not playing the full 90 minutes. 

So, a bit of a conundrum all round. Maybe we could have a predict the substitutions competition!

• Like 1

I'm doubtful the Coulibally signing will happen , which begs the question why was he paraded in a PTFC strip until it was done and dusted , going to make the Club look a bit unprofessional if it doesn't work out , surely bigger clubs than us would have signed him before now if it was a starter ?

Still think the recruitment has been a bit of a disaster, we're getting what's left out there , new player Brice Ntambwe who is 25 hasn't even played 30 professional games in his career.

If we get a play off place that'll be a good season for us.

27 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I'm doubtful the Coulibally signing will happen , which begs the question why was he paraded in a PTFC strip until it was done and dusted , going to make the Club look a bit unprofessional if it doesn't work out , surely bigger clubs than us would have signed him before now if it was a starter ?

Still think the recruitment has been a bit of a disaster, we're getting what's left out there , new player Brice Ntambwe who is 25 hasn't even played 30 professional games in his career.

Read this. 

https://www.kingfut.com/2018/08/23/coulibaly-responds-to-aahly-advisor/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

28 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If we are not even going to be able to play Coulliaby then you have to wonder how much proper investigation was done by the club bearing in mind our main sponsor is an employment law firm and how much is the player receiving from the club to sit in the stands. Hopefully won’t come to this though 

Depends who is telling the truth.  As I said earlier, why ban the guy from playing.  It seems he didn't make anything like millions playing for them.  How is he expected to pay a fine without a job?  He couldn't pay the kind of fine quoted from our wages either but he could get a transfer where the money offered for him paid off the fine.  So have UEFA really slapped a huge fine on him and at the same time put him in a position where he can't possibly pay it off??