Souleymane Coulibaly

TartanC4

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

This is farcical. So we haven't been granted clearance yet? It could be months before he kicks a baw if lawyers get involved

You wouldn’t normally get the international clearance until after the player has signed, so that part is not farcical. I don’t know about the rest of the story

I am maybe giving credit where it is not due but we have to assume that the club knows all the background and have done their homework. All the forums, the press and the wider internet highlighted the issues so they will not be able to say they were not aware.

To parade a new signing and elicit an unusually enthusiastic response from fans who have been let down a lot recently would be a very strange ( and dangerous ) game to play.

I will go up to Dundee on Saturday and expect to see our new star running onto the pitch at some point to play his part in a convincing victory

Signing a player of Coulibaly ability without having to pay a significant transfer fee was never going to be easy.

What the club have done, is put themselves I prime position to negotiate with his old club. The end result could be that he is available to play, or they might loan him to us for a season, so he is in the shop window, or we may have to buy him for a small fee with a big sell on clause for them.

I am delighted that they are attempting to resolve all the issues surrounding him, rather than thinking it is too difficult and not trying.

This shows ambition

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erty13 said:

Signing a player of Coulibaly ability without having to pay a significant transfer fee was never going to be easy.

What the club have done, is put themselves I prime position to negotiate with his old club. The end result could be that he is available to play, or they might loan him to us for a season, so he is in the shop window, or we may have to buy him for a small fee with a big sell on clause for them.

I am delighted that they are attempting to resolve all the issues surrounding him, rather than thinking it is too difficult and not trying.

This shows ambition

We can't "loan" him. They terminated his contract.

The issue appears to be that he's been prohibited from registering to play for another club until he has paid the amount required by the FIFA ruling.

14 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

We can't "loan" him. They terminated his contract.

The issue appears to be that he's been prohibited from registering to play for another club until he has paid the amount required by the FIFA ruling.

Both clubs can negotiate and come to a resolution. His old club knows he can not pay this fine without playing for another club, therefore both clubs need to negotiate.

Edited by erty13

1 minute ago, erty13 said:

Both clubs can negotiate and come to a resolution. His old club know he can not pay this fine without playing for another club, therefore both clubs need to negotiate.

The thing I worry about is that Al Ahly can grandstand all they want. The club is absolutely minted, and $1.4m is probably peanuts to them. They could make life difficult for Thistle and SC if they are so inclined. 

Interesting reading... Al Ahly legal consultant Helmy Abdel-Razek has stated that Dispute Settlement Court in FIFA have ruled in the favour of the Red Devils in their case against runaway striker Souleymane Coulibaly.

Coulibaly had suddenly fled Egypt during his spell with Al Ahly in May 2017 following one of Al Ahly games in the CAF Champions League.

Al Ahly board declared later on they are filing a lawsuit against the 23-year-old striker in order to preserve their rights.

Abdel-Razek confirmed that the Dispute Settlement Court’s ruling is the fining of Coulibaly 1.4M USD to be paid to Al Ahly. He added that the club managed to present documents that proves the rightness of their stance in the case and that the player fled the country without permission and without being subject to anything that leads him to escape like that, leaving the team halfway through the season.

Al Ahly’s legal consultant explained that the former Kilmarnock striker is prohibited from joining or signing for any other club unless he pays the fine to the Red Devils..... But he has signed. 

Is this not maybe a good time for a club statement!  Even if it was bad news it would stop speculation and let fans know the facts.

I'm sure there are fans that would travel to Dundee just to see what SC has to offer. To then state after the game that he may never play for the club seems a bit unfair.

Might all be a sandstorm in a teacup but a quick word from the club may avoid a lot of fall out afterwards!!