Souleymane Coulibaly

TartanC4

I've nothing against a bit of speculation but I prefer it to at least start from the facts.  Can anyone point me towards a reliable source that confirms that FIFA imposed the reported fine?  All I have seen is statements in the press from a legal consultant who claims to be linked to the Egyptian club who says that they won their case at "Fifa’s Dispute Settlement Court" in April, with the result that SC would have pay a fine of $1.4 million.

FIFA doesn't actually have a "Dispute Settlement Court" but it does have a "Dispute Settlement Chamber".  I would expect a lawyer to know the difference, especially if he had just won a million dollar case there.

FIFA publishes the decisions of its Dispute Resolution Chamber here: https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/official-documents/governance/dispute-resolution-chamber.html

The published decisions are anonymised (Player A, Club B, etc) but otherwise give detailed descriptions of the dispute, including relevant dates and contract details.  None of the cases relating to the published decisions come anywhere near to the reported details of the SC case.  This makes me doubt the whole FIFA fine story.

Someone somewhere along the line is telling porkies.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

I've nothing against a bit of speculation but I prefer it to at least start from the facts.  Can anyone point me towards a reliable source that confirms that FIFA imposed the reported fine?  All I have seen is statements in the press from a legal consultant who claims to be linked to the Egyptian club who says that they won their case at "Fifa’s Dispute Settlement Court" in April, with the result that SC would have pay a fine of $1.4 million.

FIFA doesn't actually have a "Dispute Settlement Court" but it does have a "Dispute Settlement Chamber".  I would expect a lawyer to know the difference, especially if he had just won a million dollar case there.

FIFA publishes the decisions of its Dispute Resolution Chamber here: https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/official-documents/governance/dispute-resolution-chamber.html

The published decisions are anonymised (Player A, Club B, etc) but otherwise give detailed descriptions of the dispute, including relevant dates and contract details.  None of the cases relating to the published decisions come anywhere near to the reported details of the SC case.  This makes me doubt the whole FIFA fine story.

See the following from Mon Dieu on Pie and Bovril:

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/230757-partick-thistle-201819-thread/&do=findComment&comment=12372807

It appears the court papers Coulibaly brandished in a YouTube video (that has since been taken down) provided details of a decision taken by a court to award sums in relation to the dispute. One cited sum refers to $1.4 million owed to A-A and another to a figure just shy of $30k owed to Coulibaly.

21 minutes ago, DenisOhDenis said:

It's a Pharoahld conundrum.

24 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

See the following from Mon Dieu on Pie and Bovril:

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/230757-partick-thistle-201819-thread/&do=findComment&comment=12372807

It appears the court papers Coulibaly brandished in a YouTube video (that has since been taken down) provided details of a decision taken by a court to award sums in relation to the dispute. One cited sum refers to $1.4 million owed to A-A and another to a figure just shy of $30k owed to Coulibaly.

Thanks WJ, some interesting comments on P&B. Shame the video has been taken down.  You don't know of anyone posting screen grabs of the documents, do you?

Archie's preview of the game is late this week. Nearly 3pm as I write and I have the feeling that it might be the Coulibaly issue holding it up. Either he can't tell us that international clearance has been granted or the club doesn't want to admit to a muck up.

I think Coulibaly will be(conveniently) "injured" or not yet "fit enough".

1 hour ago, fenski said:

My only minor criticism is that the club could've made it clearer at the time of signing that gaining clearance may take longer than usual. Or something like that...

Exactly this - anyone who follows Scottish football even semi-seriously knew that Coulibaly's exit from Egypt was not a normal one. 

The club could and should have included today's clarification within the announcement of the signing. It was absolutely relevant information at the time of the Press Release. Had the announcement been totally transparent from the outset, all speculation would have been quelled before it happened.

Instead...........................

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

...Instead there are six pages of speculation on a fans' forum. No real harm done.

Aye I suppose it's given us something to talk about after the brief interlude of Andrea the non-striker scoring two in two, which itself silenced the mob baying after consecutive defeats to Ayr.

August has been an interesting month right enough.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Aye I suppose it's given us something to talk about after the brief interlude of Andrea the non-striker scoring two in two, which itself silenced the mob baying after consecutive defeats to Ayr.

August has been an interesting month right enough.

Still a week left of August as well.

Edited by Garscube Road End

Don't get me wrong, Thistle might look a bit silly if this doesn't work out. But if it does they could have a real bargain on their hands. I'm glad they're trying.

I get the argument that they could have said more, but I'm not sure what it would have  achieved. It would almost be like saying that they don't really expect to be successful.

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

Don't get me wrong, Thistle might look a bit silly if this doesn't work out. But if it does they could have a real bargain on their hands. I'm glad they're trying.

I get the argument that they could have said more, but I'm not sure what it would have  achieved. It would almost be like saying that they don't really expect to be successful.

This isn't a signing it's a massive gamble. Nothing particularly wrong with that.

The whole affair could go any way. SC may never kick a ball for thistle or he may be the best player that ever played for us or he may be using them to get back into football and walk out on them or he may be a prima donna and not give 100% or he might be grateful and give 110% every game or..................

it's a typical thistle piece if business you just never what your going to get. It's what makes supporting us the rollercoaster it always is. The signing is like tomorrows game anything could happen but we all hope for the best!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Exactly this - anyone who follows Scottish football even semi-seriously knew that Coulibaly's exit from Egypt was not a normal one. 

The club could and should have included today's clarification within the announcement of the signing. It was absolutely relevant information at the time of the Press Release. Had the announcement been totally transparent from the outset, all speculation would have been quelled before it happened.

To be fair the Club did say "subject to international clearance". As far as I'm aware at no time has the Club ever indicated that such a caveat should be treated as routine. What were they supposed to say, subject to extra special clearance? Anyway the most important issue was getting the guy signed up for us.  

Btw commenting only from a personal point of view I must admit to a certain amount of enjoyment reading/hearing many posts and comments both here and elsewhere regarding international employment law.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

And that would have ended the speculation? If it did no doubt the thread would have turned to why we signed a player who can't get international clearance etc, etc.

Face it there are just those individuals like yourself who will complain/criticise regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Metz said:

And that would have ended the speculation? If it did no doubt the thread would have turned to why we signed a player who can't get international clearance etc, etc.

Face it there are just those individuals like yourself who will complain/criticise regardless.

Any chance you could grasp the concept that the nature of a football fans' forum is about expressing opinions and debating those with fellow fans in a friendly spirit?

• Haha 1